How would you situate this group in a VWL dedicated 2BR?

Antonia

DIS Veteran
We will be at VWL for 6 nights.

Our group includes:
DH and I - married couple in our EARLY 50's
DS and DDIL and their two children ages 2 and 4
DMIL age 78 and her second husband age 65

We have the BR with 2 queen bed (traditionally have put DS, DDIL and 2 kids in here)

BR with the king bed (traditionally me and DH)

And then there's the sleeper sofa. Probably DH and I should just sleep there. Maybe get a studio for DMIL and her DH??? Then we could still group up in our villa for meals etc.

This is the 1st time we have had the extra 2 adults in our group. There are no 3 BR units at VWL. We are not willing to change resorts. We love VWL. Oh what to do? What would some of you who are used to traveling with extended family do?

I would be the kind of person that would take the sleeper couch with my DH so the DMIL and DH can have their own room. However, if the sleeper couch is not comfy I would be adding on the studio. You don't want anyone uncomfortable (including yourself) while on vacation.

This trip we have invited another family member and her kids. Since we want our own space we are doing a one bedroom and getting them a studio.

Best of luck! We love the WL too and hope someday to get back there.

We took my parents mid 60's and 70's, along with my family DD 12 & 4, DS 7 & 18 mos, DH and me. We stayed at BLT one time and SSR the other time, both in a dedicated 2BR. DH & me slept in king, with 18 month old DS in ports crib in our room. My two DDs slept on sleeper sofa, DS 7 slept on sleeper chair. My parents got the 2nd br to themselves. Both times my kids and I stayed away from the 2nd br to allow my parents privacy. If I had more adults I might consider using the points to get an extra studio. There is no way I would want an adult to sleep on a pullout. I just think they are way to uncomfortable. The kids don't even notice the difference.

We got an extra studio, so all the adults got privacy. This worked well, because my Father in law had recently had some surgery and could not keep up with everyone elses schedule. They could meet us in the 2bdrm for breakfast. Go to the parks til they got tired. Meet us for dinner and go to bed on their own schedule.

If you all had traveled to the parks together and know you have the same travelling style all of you in a 2bdrm might work. It's just knowing that if I was in the sleeper, I would feel bad going back to the room to go to sleep when everyone else was staying in the parks late.

Our group includes:
the only people we would give up the king bed for would be DH or my parents. they had sacrificed so much for us over the years, it is just a small token of appreciation :)

i would put the 2 kids in the 2nd bdrm, and you/DH or DS/DIL figure out between yourselves who gets the 2nd bed/pull-out (the kids might like having you in the room tho).

I'd get the extra studio for the grandparents. We strongly prefer that no one sleep in the living area. That way it can remain free for those who want to stay up late or get up early.

Also, with 8 people, the extra bathroom will be very helpful.

P.S. The grand parents would probably appreciate having a place to get away when the children become too much. As much as I'm sure they love the little ones, it can sometimes be very stressful for older people to be around active children. They just aren't used to it.

If an extra studio (my first choice) is not an option, I would put you in the living room and your guests in the bedrooms.

We are usually the first ones up in the morning and the last ones up at night so we would take the pull-out sofa. I find them just as comfortable as the regular beds.

If only the 2BR then I also would be taking the couch with DH in the same situation. Or if the studio is an option that sounds like a good solution for everyone to have a real bed. If you have MS place a "traveling with" notation on the reservations the room assignor would know to try and get the rooms in close proximity to each other.

Our group includes:

We have the BR with 2 queen bed (traditionally have put DS, DDIL and 2 kids in here)

And then there's the sleeper sofa. Probably DH and I should just sleep there. Maybe get a studio for DMIL and her DH??? Then we could still group up in our villa for meals etc.

This is the 1st time we have had the extra 2 adults in our group. There are no 3 BR units at VWL. We are not willing to change resorts. We love VWL. Oh what to do? What would some of you who are used to traveling with extended family do?

Are you and your husband paying? Even if its by points I think that gets you the King bed :thumbsup2

If you don't feel comfortable putting IL on couch, I'd get a studio for them.

If it were me I'd have to give the grandparents the bedroom and I'd sleep on the sofa bed. My real preference would be to get a studio for them. That way everyone can have their privacy and private time. And it would leave the living room free for everyone to gather for meals etc.

I'm cheaper...I would make the 2 bedroom work, and hubby and I would take the couch...actually next year we are at BLT and we're planing on taking the couch and our 31 young daughter will be taking the sleeper chair. Granted, only two nights, but way better than getting another studio to sleep on a bed.:crowded::crowded: the year DD was sick, she actually slept with us in the king bed as we didn't want her on the couch and besides she went to bed by 9pm...we were in a GV that time!:crowded::crowded:guess who got stuck in the middle???

Our group includes:

Get the MIL a studio. In the absence of that options, give up the master and share the second BR with the Son and DIL with kids on the pullout.

Get the MIL a studio. In the absence of that options, give up the master and share the second BR with the Son and DIL with kids on the pullout.

I also agree with this! :thumbsup2

What do you know?? NO STUDIOS are available to coincide with our dates at the end of October!!!!!

Should I do a waitlist???

If you have the young family sleep in the living room then the kids will need naps or early to bed and everyone has to vacate the LR. So I say the elder couple (respect your elders) gets the bedroom and the family the bedroom with two beds. So it sounds like the owners are stuck in the LR.

What do you know?? NO STUDIOS are available to coincide with our dates at the end of October!!!!!

Should I do a waitlist???
If you're set on this option and the group is firm on their commitment, I would.

I'm cheaper...I would make the 2 bedroom work, and hubby and I would take the couch...actually next year we are at BLT and we're planing on taking the couch and our 31 young daughter will be taking the sleeper chair. Granted, only two nights, but way better than getting another studio to sleep on a bed.:crowded::crowded: the year DD was sick, she actually slept with us in the king bed as we didn't want her on the couch and besides she went to bed by 9pm...we were in a GV that time!:crowded::crowded:guess who got stuck in the middle???

I'm cheap like Pirate Granny. I wouldn't want to waste points when the 2BR will sleep 9. Plus I don't think the pull-outs are uncomfortable. I would sleep in the living room, give kids and grandkids 2nd BR, give in-laws master BR. Especially if my hubby and I are the ones who are likely to get up early, make coffee/breakfast, etc. I definitely wouldn't put the kids in the living room because then the whole travel party is tiptoeing around the sleep schedule of a 2- and 4-year-old.

Saralyn - I think your idea matches mine. Since there's no studios available, I think I'll so this. Probably the one and only time DH's mother and her husband will ever be with us.

I bet you'll have a great time. I'm so jealous! My next trip to WDW isn't until next summer. How will I ever wait that long??? :crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter