How will a war affect going on a cruise?

Tay N Evie's Mom

DIS Veteran
Ok, first I want to state that I don't want to start a debate over terrorists or if the USA should or shouldn't go to war with Iraq. From what I've heard and read recently war is a matter of when rather than if at this point. I really want to book another DCL and am considering several dates within the next 4 months. My worries aren't about the threats and insecurities the terrorist have caused the last 18 months. I worry about what if I'm on a cruise and war breaks out and the ship is denied re-entry back into the USA or we're stranded in a foreign country (I wouldn't think DCL would do it intentionally, but they may have no choice). Would DCL suspend it's sailings if war is declaired and more important, would we be able to get our money back. I have a dozen more questions-too many to post now. I'd like to know if anyone else has the same worries as I do and if they have caused you to change your plans. Maybe the moderators could get some official info from DCL about how they are preparing to handle the situation. Once again if you're going to reply by voicing your opinion on the state of world politics-please don't. I'm sure there are more people like me who have worries and this would be a good time to voice them.

The US has been involved in several military actions (with declarations of war) over the past years and none of it has stopped cruise ships from sailing. :) I wouldn't worry about it at all. The ports that DCL goes to are all friendly ports and military action will not affect that.

I'll be happy to second what Michelle says!

I'm all set for March 29 and I fully expect us to be in a military action by then.

I'm realistically expecting two things:

1. Airport security will be as tight as holy heck, so at least I know that ahead of time.

2. In my mind, being on a cruise ship just might be the SAFEST place to be!

when war was declared in the Gulf the last time and we had no problems at all. In fact we wouldnt have even known they had declared war if someone hadnt mentioned it near us at dinner. We had no schedule interruptions or anything. We werent denied entry back into the US since it was a ship that began it's transit in the US but we did experience a HIGH level of inspections happening. This granted was before 9-11 but I would doubt that much would happen when you are on a cruise ship unless you were going to go to a Middle East country on a cruise or unless you dont belong on the ship. I know that all of the sailings went off before, during and after war was declared in Iraq the last time (at least that was what we were told by Norwegian) and there didnt seem to be any problems. You may encounter longer disembarkation while they check out the ship or you may encounter more scrutiny of your birth certificate or passport but I dont see any reason why you would be stuck somewhere else or why they would cancel your cruise. I guess there are reasons but most of them would seem to be if the war was being fought here not there. I dont know what really to tell you except that we had a good time on our cruise and didnt realize anything was going on until we were told a few days after it happened that the war had started. If it were me and my family we would go no matter what because we have confidence in Disney and in the US to differentiate the difference between a cruise ship full of passengers who embarked at a US port and those on a ship that came from say Yemen! We were in in Disneyland ON 9-11 and then our good fortune put hubby and I in California again when war was declared against the Taliban and AFghanistan and we flew back and had no problems then either except longer lines. I would go and not worry about it. When/IF war does actually happen it might be a nice diversion from the media feeding frenzy that is inevitable!

:p

Heidi

We have been at war for over a year now. (at least that is what my friends who's husbands are pilots stationed overseas tell me) I would not worry about it.

In the area of travel I would consider the mid east not a hot spot to head off to now but Grand Cayman I would think is fairly safe. The countries visited by cruise ships depend on them for their very survival so they will do all things necessary to insure safety.

When we were in Cozumel in Dec. there were gaurds armed with machine guns at the port. Nice guys though they let me take their picture.

As long as you are not thinking of traveling to Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Afganistan etc. I think you would be fine. Life will happen to us whether we wish it to or not. I say enjoy it!

I meant to ask when I saw the guards mentioned in another thread: are they Mexican military? Is this something new since 9/11 or is this a longstanding thing at Cozumel?

Concerning Tay N Evie's Mom's original question: I think it's been made very clear it doesn't really matter where we are. Terrible things can happen at any time. I tend to agree with MickeyB426 that perhaps a cruise ship might be one of the safest places to be. And with tongue firmly planted in cheek: as far as not being able to return to port, oh yeah! Other than missing our dog, they can strand my family on Castaway Cay anytime!

Several years ago on a bus trip outside of Cancun, I saw guards armed with automatic weapon at a highway check point. At that time, all they were looking for was drugs.

According to news reports that I have read (CNN or Conde Nast) about the effect of war on the cruise industry is that certain crusie lines may elect to "reposition" some ship away from the Mediterranean and into the Caribbean. This may make some Caribbean ports more crowded.

-Paul

FYI - There has not been a declaration of war by the US since WWII. The instances mentioned here were simply "approval of military force" not a declaration of war. Would an actual declaration result in more extensive travel restrictions? Who knows... just thought I'd point that out.

When we cruised this summer, I asked some of the staff members what the ship did on 9/11. Their response was that they kept sailing. In reality, the ship was a very safe place to be so since that ship was at sea, it continued on its normal route. Also, was in Cozumel this summer and the armed military men at the port were there for drugs. The day we were there, they looked very mean and we didn't even ask to take their picture. In 2001, we went to Disney in October just a few weeks after 9/11 and our kids were really interested in the military personel stationed at MCO that had machine guns. My nephews wanted to touch them but we quickly pulled them back. I think because we were going to Disney, they didn't think the guns were real!

We went to Hawaii during the Gulf War. It was less crowded than ususal (there is a military base on Oahu) and you could get better deals on rental cars because the crowds were down. And it was easy to get a good spot on Wakiki Beach.

Yes it was odd, and the war was on our minds, but we tried to not let it ruin a trip that had been planned for months. There wasn't anything we could do about the war at that moment. But we did shed a few tears at the Arizona Memorial.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter