How wet do you get on the grizzly river run?

proud_canadian

DIS Veteran
We went on a similar ride at universal orlando last year and brought a change of clothes and were glad we did because we were completely soaked.

Do we need to do the same for GRR? Should we bring change of clothes, flip flops, etc?

Or is it more like a splash from splash mountain?

Completely depends on your luck and where you're sitting. I've seen people come off completely soaked head to toe, and people come off completely dry. It's really luck of the draw.

The sign says "you will get wet, you may get soaked" - that pretty much says it all - I got soaked! But that always seems to be my luck - you do not want to sit beside me on a wet ride!

Also, if you have any sort of bag, whatever you do, do not sit it on the floor of the ride!!

Word of advice, don't wear white or light clothing either (and not for the reason you think). I was wearing a multi-layered white skirt once (would not have been see-thru even being wet) and there was mud or rust or something all over the seat (never saw it and it didn't wash out well so I think it was rust).

I got off the ride and looked like I had an accident. Fortunately my backpack sits low enough I was able to rush back to my hotel and change clothes. I was the only one in our raft to even get wet. :rotfl2:

It really depends on weight distribution. My daughters and I are smallish people, and every time we've been on it we've had other guests on the same ride who were larger folks. Inevitably all the larger folks sit on one side and the 3 of us who are smaller sit together opposite. The side of the raft that is heavier usually gets the worst of the soaking. Gravity works, the heavier side is pulled down first and hits the water which splashes up and over and onto everyone on that side. We normally get wet, but not uncomfortably soaked. My advice if you don't want to get completely soaked is to ride with people who are all the same size (I know, silly), or alternate larger and smaller folks if possible. Or, you know, just get soaked and have fun.

We went on a similar ride at universal orlando last year and brought a change of clothes and were glad we did because we were completely soaked.

Do we need to do the same for GRR? Should we bring change of clothes, flip flops, etc?

If you're sitting in my seat, you'll be soaked. I always get the wettest on our rides.

Get a cheap poncho at dollar tree or target..

There are also lockers at GRR if needed..

We didn't get THAT wet (dried off in about 15minutes) but other people in our "boat" or whatever you'd call it got SOAKED

We always use ponchos....but.....the splashing water always soaks our feet! I would say you will get wet or soaked.

It really depends on weight distribution. My daughters and I are smallish people, and every time we've been on it we've had other guests on the same ride who were larger folks. Inevitably all the larger folks sit on one side and the 3 of us who are smaller sit together opposite. The side of the raft that is heavier usually gets the worst of the soaking. Gravity works, the heavier side is pulled down first and hits the water which splashes up and over and onto everyone on that side. We normally get wet, but not uncomfortably soaked. My advice if you don't want to get completely soaked is to ride with people who are all the same size (I know, silly), or alternate larger and smaller folks if possible. Or, you know, just get soaked and have fun.

Actually with all the spinning, water jets, etc this isn't always true. I've seen my DDs sit opposite me and larger people next to me and the kids end up soaked while we get nothing. Weight can be a factor, but the randomness makes it unpredictable.

We have never ridden 3 times in a row without being totally soaked.

There are plenty of drops to get wet and plenty of pop jets too.

You might get off of it without getting too wet. But I wouldn't hold my breath on that. We bring water pool shoes with us when we go on that ride and store our shoes and socks. That keeps our shoes and socks dry. That's the big thing. You don't want to walk around with soggy feet. The rest, you can deal with.

Be prepared to be soaked. It is very random, my kids have come off damp and they have come off soaked. It can get you soaked enough, it is the one ride VIP guides are not allowed to ride.

Like the other posters have said-- it's totally random!

Prepare for the worst, but know that you might get away with just a sprinkle or small splash--we've had ALL levels of wet, damp, and dry!!

It's so fun not knowing exactly HOW you'll end up;)!!!

The only time that I have not gotten significantly splashed (we wear ponchos and keep our feet up on the center post - so we don't end up that wet) during the ride - got pelted by a jet at the end.

Best advice from my brother, if staying at VGC, head over in your swimsuit, ride the ride, and back to the pool. We did it 2 weeks ago. Awesome. And we were moderately wet.

As other poster stated it all depends. I've ridden 6 times in a row (DS7 fave ride!!) and in total I didn't get THAT wet (dried off in an hour. Though there have been times I get a little wet (dry off in about 10 minutes on a hot day) and once I got so soaked I didn't dry all day (in JULY!!) Sometimes the water comes from the side of the boat but I've gotten super soaked from the drainage holes at the bottom of the raft. If you pay attention going down one of the drops A LOT of water comes up and gets you on your feet and legs. I usually wear Croc flip flops. But I think that's why we love this ride it's the same ride with different outcomes! :goodvibes

If its Jurassic Park at Universal you rode, this is a different type of wet.
Jurassic is like someone throws a bucket of water straight in your face. Grizzly is never like that. It may do down your back, or onto your legs and feet, but not full on in the face.
My son loves getting wet and is disappointed if someone else is wetter than him! We believe the wetter seets are the ones near the exits either side.

Actually with all the spinning, water jets, etc this isn't always true. I've seen my DDs sit opposite me and larger people next to me and the kids end up soaked while we get nothing. Weight can be a factor, but the randomness makes it unpredictable.

Which is why I said "usually", not "always".

I'm guessing the ride you rode at Universal Orlando was Bilge Rat Barges... wow, you just can't ride those things without getting soaked. We loved it.

We did not get as wet on GRR, but as many have said it's more of a chance thing. You could come off essentially dry and you could come off soaked. If you're really worried about it, bring extra clothes or wear a poncho. We'll probably save it for the last thing before we go back to our room for a midday break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter