How useful are Facebook polls?

disneysteve

DIS meet junkie
Am I the only one who doesn't vote in the Facebook "Best and Worst" polls because I haven't been to all of the places being voted on?

I realize the polls aren't intended to be scientifically valid. I just feel like it isn't fair for me to vote on a list of 10 places if I've only been to 3 of them. I don't know if the ones I haven't been to are better or worse than the ones I have been to. There are surely some excellent places that I've just never experienced (and probably some lousy ones, too).

I often don't vote for that reason too (besides not "doing FB" much), but also because I haven't been in almost 5 years (GASP - surprised myself!!) so I feel a lot of my opinions would not be "current", so didn't want to influence results that way.

also because I haven't been in almost 5 years
That's another reason. Even though we are fortunate and get to go every year or more, I'm not going to vote that something is the best or worst if the last time I experienced it was 5 or more years ago, or even less than that. Chefs change. Menus change. Management changes.

Now an attraction poll, that I'll vote on for sure as there are no attractions I've never done and the ones I haven't done recently (Stitch, for example) haven't changed in any way since I last did them.

That's another reason. Even though we are fortunate and get to go every year or more, I'm not going to vote that something is the best or worst if the last time I experienced it was 5 or more years ago, or even less than that. Chefs change. Menus change. Management changes.

Now an attraction poll, that I'll vote on for sure as there are no attractions I've never done and the ones I haven't done recently (Stitch, for example) haven't changed in any way since I last did them.
::yes::

The time frame is a really good point for the restaurant polls. We booked all of our favorite restaurants from our 2009 and 2011 trips for our September 2016 trip. Unfortunately, 2 of those favorites dropped in ranking and our previous top favorite is no longer on our favorites list at all after a terrible experience by all members in our party.

Maybe voters should include the last time they visited?

The time frame is a really good point for the restaurant polls. We booked all of our favorite restaurants from our 2009 and 2011 trips for our September 2016 trip. Unfortunately, 2 of those favorites dropped in ranking and our previous top favorite is no longer on our favorites list at all after a terrible experience by all members in our party.

Maybe voters should include the last time they visited?
Don't know if they want to get that deep with the polls per se, but I know I DO appreciate when I see a date on an online menu. Was one of my problems when I hand typed them - if I didn't get back to get a newer 1, or somebody didn't send one they became obsolete.

Last edited:
When you start bringing confounding variables (length of time since last visit, etc), you're getting into more advanced statistics than what they use on the show. I don't think Pete/John/Corey want to bring on a statistician, but if they do, I am available. :lmao:

When you start bringing confounding variables (length of time since last visit, etc), you're getting into more advanced statistics than what they use on the show. I don't think Pete/John/Corey want to bring on a statistician, but if they do, I am available. :lmao:
That's one resume you haven't sent.

Good point! I demand going forward that we are told what the coefficient of variability as well as the confidence interval is for each poll! ;)

Voting doesn't matter anyway. If your answer isn't Animal Kingdom Lodge or a restaurant at Animal Kingdom Lodge, you're wrong by Pete's standards anyway.

I don't participate because I not only don't have a Facebook account but hate the very existence of Facebook with the burning passion of a thousand white hot hells.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if they also put the polls here on the DIS boards... :-)

I don't participate because I not only don't have a Facebook account but hate the very existence of Facebook with the burning passion of a thousand white hot hells.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if they also put the polls here on the DIS boards... :-)

"There is just one moon
And one golden sun,
And Facebook is a thousand white hot hells
For everyone..."

We just ate at Cape May and had a great time. It was a great meal with a lot of pros and a few cons... Maybe I'll write a review? The more we plan on going to places we haven't been, the more we're looking forward to seeing what they have to offer.

I think the "send Rino and Craig to eat" minisodes made us choose a place in Disney Springs and we're really happy that we did (D-LUXE Burger is now my new favorite place at Disney Springs).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter