How to walk to DTD from Mickey and Friends.

bethwc101

DIS Veteran
I have seen that on weekends the bag check for Mickey and Friends can get pretty backed up. We will be arriving on a Sunday morning and are expecting long lines. Is someone willing to illustrate the path from Mickey and Friends structure to the DTD area? I have been looking on google maps and don't see a direct path. It looks like the different sidewalks end so I can't visualize the path.
THanks.

When you come down the escalators at M&F you'll walk back into the structure at an opening that has a huge sign that says walkway to theme parks. You'll cross the tram path and then walk alongside the tram until you get to the a stairwell that has a large opening that puts you in the Pinocchio parking area. From there you will walk straight, you will be on what turns into Downtown Drive. You will cross Magic Way and walk into the Downtown Disney parking area. From there you will enter the security at either by Rainforest/ESPN or you can keep walking and enter through the one by ESPN/Earl of Sandwich.

There are signs and directional arrows for it. Pedestrian routes are also marked on ground.

How has the tram configuration changed? I havent ridden it it a few years
The tram area has expanded to include a security plaza as you go through security before boarding a tram now since Downtown Disney is now in the security bubble.

How has the tram configuration changed? I havent ridden it it a few years
Ok, so this is the general config:
upload_2017-12-13_17-17-43.jpeg

Shaded in green is now pavement, where it used to be parking/drive aisles.
Purple is the tram route
Light Blue is security perimeter
Yellow is bag check/metal detectors
Blue is unloading
Orange is loading
Red is the walkway.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-13_17-14-59.jpeg
    upload_2017-12-13_17-14-59.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 3

Also, even though the line may look longer, they do try to make it go quickly. It all depends on the people in front of you and how prepared/unprepared/how many bags, etc. The longer line is the actual wait for the tram. I usually just wait in whatever bag line is necessary and take the tram over, rather than start to wear out my feet before I even step foot in the parks!

I always walk from M&F because I have a stroller that's heavy and not easy to collapse. It is a very easy walk. The signs say 15-minute walk to DTD but I can actually get to the DL turnstiles in 15 minutes on days where there is no wait at security (walking at a brisk pace, not a leisurely stroll).

Now that there is construction going on (that wasn't at the time of the previous posts here), I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about the current walk situation:

We were up there in March and stayed at a hotel on W Ball Road. We walked along Disneyland Drive and then Magic Way to the DTD parking/drop-off area, where we went through security and on our way. I noticed during that walk that there was a walkway from Magic Way with a sign pointing to the Mickey & Friends parking area. It was right about at the intersection of Magic Way and Disneyland Drive.

Can anyone tell me where that walkway begins, at the parking structure, now that the tram and security and all that have been relocated? My next trip will just be a day trip and I usually park here, but if I can walk to the DTD security area that would be so much better!

TIA!

Now that there is construction going on (that wasn't at the time of the previous posts here), I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about the current walk situation:

We were up there in March and stayed at a hotel on W Ball Road. We walked along Disneyland Drive and then Magic Way to the DTD parking/drop-off area, where we went through security and on our way. I noticed during that walk that there was a walkway from Magic Way with a sign pointing to the Mickey & Friends parking area. It was right about at the intersection of Magic Way and Disneyland Drive.

Can anyone tell me where that walkway begins, at the parking structure, now that the tram and security and all that have been relocated? My next trip will just be a day trip and I usually park here, but if I can walk to the DTD security area that would be so much better!

TIA!
Walkway from M&F exits out to Disneyland Dr and Magic Way. Your March trip was after they moved the walking exit to that location. I actually find that most days there is no reason to walk anymore as security and the teams have been moving relatively quickly since the change in location etc.

Walkway from M&F exits out to Disneyland Dr and Magic Way. Your March trip was after they moved the walking exit to that location. I actually find that most days there is no reason to walk anymore as security and the teams have been moving relatively quickly since the change in location etc.
Agreed, security hasn’t been bad. Even if there looks like a long line when you are coming down the escalator, they have plenty of tables/metal detectors so it goes fairly quickly and organized.

Agreed, security hasn’t been bad. Even if there looks like a long line when you are coming down the escalator, they have plenty of tables/metal detectors so it goes fairly quickly and organized.

The appearance of the long line is an illusion. If you watch it, it is constantly moving. They simply "created" a corral for a line, in order to keep it moving, similar to how the ride queues are set up in the parks. Once you get undercover, the line branches off into about 14 different security stations, none of which will have more than a couple people in it. It's a very efficient system...much better than what they had before they moved it. We have been visiting the past few Sundays and the whole process has taken no more than 10 minutes (from getting off the escalator to boarding a tram) each time.

If you take the stairs down instead of the escalator, you can avoid a potentially long line and just go straight to the security check.

TIA!

Do you remember where the old tram turnaround circle was? At the end closest to Magic Way, there is now a walk through gate. So basically go down escalator, and walk straight towards corner of Disneyland Drive and Magic Way. Then you have to walk East (north?) on Magic to the light, cross, walk through DTD parking and into DTD. It’s a hike.

I can’t see it ever or very rarely being faster than security as it is so long. I would probably only use it if I had a sleeping baby in a stroller and was already planning to head throughout DTD.

Do you remember where the old tram turnaround circle was? At the end closest to Magic Way, there is now a walk through gate. So basically go down escalator, and walk straight towards corner of Disneyland Drive and Magic Way. Then you have to walk East (north?) on Magic to the light, cross, walk through DTD parking and into DTD. It’s a hike.

I can’t see it ever or very rarely being faster than security as it is so long. I would probably only use it if I had a sleeping baby in a stroller and was already planning to head throughout DTD.

I'll have to try it out for myself (the new locations)...... I haven't been to M&F since all the construction began and the trams and security were moved, but the last time I was there (again, old locations) the security line was a NIGHTMARE. I'm a fast walker and don't mind doing so, and honestly even if walking to DTD took longer than waiting in line, I would at least feel like I was making progress!! The entire walk to DTD when we stayed on W Ball Rd took us just about 20 minutes total. My last wait for security at M&F was well over 30.....:headache: (this was mid-week, non-holiday, too!!).

And I'm not trying to diss anyone's suggestions or observations!! Just relaying my last, very bad, experience at M&F, which I do sincerely hope has changed with the new locations. I'm heading up next week so I'll give it a shot!

Thanks to everyone for the replies! Very much appreciated. :goodvibes:wave:

I'll have to try it out for myself (the new locations)...... I haven't been to M&F since all the construction began and the trams and security were moved, but the last time I was there (again, old locations) the security line was a NIGHTMARE. I'm a fast walker and don't mind doing so, and honestly even if walking to DTD took longer than waiting in line, I would at least feel like I was making progress!! The entire walk to DTD when we stayed on W Ball Rd took us just about 20 minutes total. My last wait for security at M&F was well over 30.....:headache: (this was mid-week, non-holiday, too!!).

And I'm not trying to diss anyone's suggestions or observations!! Just relaying my last, very bad, experience at M&F, which I do sincerely hope has changed with the new locations. I'm heading up next week so I'll give it a shot!

I’ve not found the lines at the garage to be longer than at DTD lately. Actually much shorter this past weekend and we went in both ways multiple times. DTD has every person who is going into DTD plus from the hotels, the garage gets people filtered in only as fast as they can park them.

I feel like they’ve also added more lines since there is less room in the garage the way they have security laid out. It is all inside on the 1st floor now and the trams board indoors as well. They really have to move people through quicker. I thought it would be a nightmare when I first saw it but for some reason it actually moved faster!

The new security set up at M&F is definitely better! In the shade/protected from rain, more tables, more CMs = much better! We haven't waited more than several minutes to go through bag check at any time ever since the change. :)

I feel like they’ve also added more lines since there is less room in the garage the way they have security laid out. It is all inside on the 1st floor now and the trams board indoors as well. They really have to move people through quicker. I thought it would be a nightmare when I first saw it but for some reason it actually moved faster!
There are more security stations and the lines are better organized by station as opposed to the mass mob lines that they had with the outdoor one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter