How to tell the parents

Greggerd

Earning My Ears
My fiancée and I are getting married two days before our upcoming trip to Disney, but we are eloping. We want to tell them our marriage news to our parents while we are in Disney. Any unique suggestions?!

Last edited:
You get married with the two of you first and then have a family holiday with your parents only, not her parents as well?

First I would make sure your parents will understand your decision to elope. If you fear any scene or discussion or argument, I wouldn't do it during a vacation or if you must at least somewhere private like the hotel room. Maybe order room service with a mini wedding cake?

If you think they will be happy for you right away, is there any romantic connection your parents have with Disney? A certain movie or ride? Or maybe get something with 'happily ever after' on it, and say something like "You have your happy ending, we want ours to be as happy." Or the 'just married' buttons.

so my fiancée and I are getting married two days before our upcoming trip to Disney, but we are eloping. My parents are coming with us to Disneyworld but don’t know about our wedding. We want to break our marriage news to them in Disney. Any unique suggestions?!
I have no idea.

If my daughter did that to me, I would be devastated.

Good luck.

A member of my husband’s family didn’t speak to her son for almost 20 years after he eloped while she was on vacation. That was in 1970s and it still has ramifications in the family today.

Be very careful. Even if you think that your families will be ok with it, they may surprise you, and not in a good way. At best, I think it would be polite to give your parents time to get used to the idea, rather than telling them on vacation. If their initial reaction is not 100% happy, and you are all stuck together on vacation for several days, there could be a lot of hurt feelings, and damage done to your relationship with them, that could take a very long time to repair.

Good luck.

A member of my husband’s family didn’t speak to her son for almost 20 years after he eloped while she was on vacation. That was in 1970s and it still has ramifications in the family today.

Be very careful. Even if you think that your families will be ok with it, they may surprise you, and not in a good way. At best, I think it would be polite to give your parents time to get used to the idea, rather than telling them on vacation. If their initial reaction is not 100% happy, and you are all stuck together on vacation for several days, there could be a lot of hurt feelings, and damage done to your relationship with them, that could take a very long time to repair.

Good luck.
Agreed. If they aren't happy, it will ruin their vacation (& maybe yours). Don't drop this bombshell on them during their vacation. That isn't right.

Something that my fiance and I are doing is having a big family party/casual reception after we have our intimate Escape wedding. Would you be open to the idea of having a family (or whatever size) party after your wedding in your parents honor? That way, you can express that you care about their involvement in this special time, but the ceremony will just be very intimate. Purposing this idea might help them to understand and support your elopement. Just one idea, though. Hope it all goes well, and enjoy your vacation!

You could utilize Disney Photopass Photographers who can help you spread your news with photos - Maybe your husband holding a sign that said 'She Said YES!'. Then you can do a photo 'We Couldn't Wait' and one with the 2 of you 'Party to Follow' or something like that. You could either text them the photos ( I think photo pass allows you to download as soon as you purchase )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!