How to ship to Afghanistan

CruiserMom

Actually, a member since 2004
My DH is deploying to Afghanistan this week. We have never gone through a deployment overseas before. What is the best way to ship items over to him once there? How long does it usually take?

help you probably more than I can with some additional information. When my son-in-law was there, I was able to send him a box once a week or so...the Post Office has special boxes that are flat rate shipped to service men all over the world. I believe that they will even deliver them to you if you call them. I remember getting the boxes, labels and the tape also. I really don't know how long it takes, I believe they go to a central place and then are routed out.
Our boys need all the thoughts we can send their way. Our Mike will be leaving again, for parts unknown very soon. Thank your hubby for all of us...and may God watch over all of you.

help you probably more than I can with some additional information. When my son-in-law was there, I was able to send him a box once a week or so...the Post Office has special boxes that are flat rate shipped to service men all over the world. I believe that they will even deliver them to you if you call them. I remember getting the boxes, labels and the tape also. I really don't know how long it takes, I believe they go to a central place and then are routed out.
Our boys need all the thoughts we can send their way. Our Mike will be leaving again, for parts unknown very soon. Thank your hubby for all of us...and may God watch over all of you.

Times vary, depending on the mail volume. This time of year will probably find packages taking longer than usual. Assuming he's at a main base, it shouldn't take longer than 2 weeks. If he's at a FOB, it will take even longer. When I was in Africa this past summer, I got things in about a week from the East Coast, and we got mail 2x per week. Just ensure you have the correct address and you format it correctly. Lastly, do NOT put the country you're sending it to (Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.). It could get routed into the international postal system and good luck after that!!

As a reminder, Express & Priority Mail only gets it to the port fast - after that, it's the same as standard mail. Don't waste your money. If you're sending something of value, DO use the insurance. It still applies when sending overseas to APO/FPO.

But I will recommend the flat-rate boxes. You can fill them to the brim and they won't cost any extra. But if you're sending something light, that would cost lest than the flat-rate box, then don't use the flat-rate. :)

Absolutely get the priority mail APO/FPO flat rate boxes-they will literally save you 100s of dollars. If you have more stuff than will fit in one-use two instead of a bigger one-they get there fast-example-in August i sent somethings to a friend currently in southern Iraq-one box-an APO flat rate box took ten days-the slightly larger regular flat rate box took nearly a month. Despite what someone else said-Priority does get there much faster than parcel post-but dont pay for insurance-it only covers the packages until they reach the APO station in New York and are taken over by the military mail system.
Use the APO address that he gives you-dont add or take anthing out of it.
As for how long-to a main area like Baghram, Kandahar or Jalabad it should take 8 to 10 days-remote FOB's will take much longer because they only get supply and mail clips at intervals-always allow 3 weeks for things to get there for holidays and birthdays.

Hey Cruiser Mom. Everyone here is right on the mark. I am currently in Afghanistan. My wife has sent many a package over to me already and I have only been here a couple months. Use the flat rate APO/FPO boxes. If you have a lot of stuff to ship, send it in a couple boxes rather than one big box. The bigger and heavier the box the greater the chance for it to get busted open by accident (just from the weight of the contents).

Thank you all so much for your information! DH is there now, at Bagram Air Field. He has given me his address, and I have requested the military care package with the boxes and such from USPS. I am mailing him his first package tomorrow!

CruiserMom when you are in the post office, grab a stack of customs forms too. You need those filled out. At our po, they were hard to come by. It helps a lot too to have it filled out completely before you arrive at po. Just ask the friendly postal worker if you have filled it out correctly then use that one as a template for future shippings. I know it sounds basic but you dont want your package because a box was not checked. Also something fun to do with care packages to dress up the interior...by 12x12 scrapbooking paper and line the box. It is the perfect fit for the large flat rate. My DH loves the special thoughts.:grouphug:

My brother was in Iraq for 7 months, he is a Marine. We sent him at least 1 box a week using the FPO/APO and he was not on a regular base so it took about 2 to 3 weeks to get to him.

I can't tell you how many of those boxes and custom forms we filled out.

I also wanted to let you know that if you need someone to talk to or vent about how you may be feeling. We are here for you. It's not easy but if you have a good support system along with family and friends it will be okay. I will pray for his safe and quick return. God Bless

CruiserMom keep in the back of your mind for future refrences of the OPSEC guidelines....you just gave out way too much info on a public site. NEVER post on a public forum where exactly he is located, you never know whom maybe looking at these forums also.

Thank you all so much for your information! DH is there now, at Bagram Air Field. He has given me his address, and I have requested the military care package with the boxes and such from USPS. I am mailing him his first package tomorrow!

Renae generally i agree with you and you will find a number of posts where i hit people up on OPSEC-however the entire world knows that we have resources at that location-and the post was more than 4 months old

Renae generally i agree with you and you will find a number of posts where i hit people up on OPSEC-however the entire world knows that we have resources at that location-and the post was more than 4 months old

It's OK, jsmith, a reminder never hurts! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!