How to satisfy craving for NYC style take-out chinese food near WDW?

Pluto777

DIS Veteran
If you're from the NYC metro area you know what I'm talking about - you know those low budget take out places with the paper menus that are ALWAYS open? In Orlando & we have a craving for that stuff, low budget though it may be; General Tso, chicken with broccoli in that strong sauce, Shrimp with lobster sauce etc without going to lower Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx... Anyone have an address/name that's similar in the WDW area? THX!

If you're from the NYC metro area you know what I'm talking about - you know those low budget take out places with the paper menus that are ALWAYS open? In Orlando & we have a craving for that stuff, low budget though it may be; General Tso, chicken with broccoli in that strong sauce, Shrimp with lobster sauce etc without going to lower Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx... Anyone have an address/name that's similar in the WDW area? THX!

are you living there and missing NYC food or visiting there?

If visiting I'd just do without til I got home. I'm always disappointed when I try to get NYC type food outside of NYC. I'd enjoy the other places orlando does well and save the takeout chinese for home.

If you've relocated to Orlando hopefully someone can help - maybe someone else who has relocated to Orlando is running a great chinese takeout. It is probably not in a tourist area though!

Most of the dishes at Nine Dragons fit that bill for me; lots of sugar and soy sauce. Otherwise drive over by the Amtrak train station and look for the places with scratched Plexiglass, lots of pictures of dishes just like McDonald's does and fried chicken wings with a choice of fried rice, white rice or French fries. The man's head swivels longingly when we pass those places....

It’s been 30+ years since I lived in NY so I really can’t remember the takeout Chinese that you are talking about (although I have very clear memories of the great pizza). And I next lived in the San Francisco area for many, many years where I had excellent Chinese food. But probably not the same at all as what you are looking for.

But I really understand not wanting a watered down version of your great local favorites. I live in New Orleans. I never order gumbo, poorboys, oysters, jambalaya, etouffee, etc outside of New Orleans or Mobile.

"Scratched plexiglass" - YES! You understand EXACTLY what we're looking for! Where is the nearest place to WDW can we find this? Only near an Amtrak station? Which station? Yes I know what you're asking, but we're not near NYC now and this is one of my guilty pleasures - like watching old 1970's shows!

It’s been 30+ years since I lived in NY so I really can’t remember the takeout Chinese that you are talking about (although I have very clear memories of the great pizza). And I next lived in the San Francisco area for many, many years where I had excellent Chinese food. But probably not the same at all as what you are looking for.

But I really understand not wanting a watered down version of your great local favorites. I live in New Orleans. I never order gumbo, poorboys, oysters, jambalaya, etouffee, etc outside of New Orleans or Mobile.
Actually Id really like to find that pizza outside NYC, but I dont even ask because I assumed its impossible...

"Scratched plexiglass" - YES! You understand EXACTLY what we're looking for! Where is the nearest place to WDW can we find this? Only near an Amtrak station? Which station? Yes I know what you're asking, but we're not near NYC now and this is one of my guilty pleasures - like watching old 1970's shows!

I don't know Orlando very well but once we were stuck at the station for several hours due to a car accident on the tracks further south. With time on our hands and a need for a bottle of Campari (didn't find any but got a nice bottle of wine from a shop in downtown Orlando) we did a bit of wandering via Mears and saw a few strip mall type places which back home would surely harbor Chinese takeout shops on LI. This is one that from the pictures and menu looks like it could fit your bill:

http://orlandoempireszechuan.com/default.asp

HTH and have fun out there!

I don't know Orlando very well but once we were stuck at the station for several hours due to a car accident on the tracks further south. With time on our hands and a need for a bottle of Campari (didn't find any but got a nice bottle of wine from a shop in downtown Orlando) we did a bit of wandering via Mears and saw a few strip mall type places which back home would surely harbor Chinese takeout shops on LI. This is one that from the pictures and menu looks like it could fit your bill:

http://orlandoempireszechuan.com/default.asp

HTH and have fun out there!
Thanks so much for the help! A bit far from WDW, I'll have to see just how desperate I am to do the drive ; )

I think every city in America has that type of Americanized Chinese food you are talking about. Tons of small take out/strip mall places here and I'm sure if you googled, you'd find a bunch in Orlando.

I just googled, tons in Orlando.

I think every city in America has that type of Americanized Chinese food you are talking about. Tons of small take out/strip mall places here and I'm sure if you googled, you'd find a bunch in Orlando.

I just googled, tons in Orlando.
Thanks Farro - I'll google scratched plexiglass ; )

Then I guess I'm no help. Perhaps try New York Style Chinese Food in Orlando. I'm guessing you'll be disappointed no matter what.
You may have misunderstood; I wasn't implying you weren't helpful, just making a joke in reference to the earlier comment. Thanks, I DO appreciate your suggestion.

These places are nearly universally terrible in NYC. I would never want to seek one out on vacation haha

First off there are good places in NYC and some pretty bad ones-- mainly midtown -- Downtown there is good and bad... when I say bad I mean no taste with clearly water added as part of the sauce... Honestly the CS place at China in EPCOT would be about my best suggestion I find the food outside better and closer to what you would get in a non greasey place in NYC for the record the greasey places have better flavor.... I believe the chicken dish they have will satisfy you... Inside do not think about it as that was some of the worst I have ever had... I would take most bad NYC takeout over this... For those who say Pizza well NYC has good an bad of that as well... if you are not Downtown - what's left of little Italy and a lot of places in SOHO a few in midtown it ain't gonna be that good -- most of the real places will not sell you a slice of pizza I can think of one good place in Midtown the rest are bad to average.... Ironically the pizza at Mamma Melrose being it is brick oven is not bad in terms of what is in Florida -- The place in EPCOT is good but you have to like and understand thin crust pizza...

If visiting I'd just do without til I got home. I'm always disappointed when I try to get NYC type food outside of NYC. I'd enjoy the other places orlando does well and save the takeout chinese for home.

This!

Actually Id really like to find that pizza outside NYC, but I dont even ask because I assumed its impossible...

Its definitely NOT in any Disney restaurant or QS. LOL. Someone here in Jersey suggested "its the NY water". I never made pizzeria pizza so I have no idea what water has to do with anything (maybe in making the dough was my only guess) but I'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks NY pizza is THE best.

I have been making ny pizza for 20 years. In NY but NYC. It is all about the water. Closest I have ever found in Orlando is NYPD pizza. Not close to Disney though

I love Chinese food, and haven’t found a good place recently. There used to be a couple good places on I-Drive, but they closed. There were a couple in LBV, but they closed too. I usually bite the bullet and go to Nine Dragons when I really crave it. My favorite Chinese place is over in Cocoa Beach, but I only get over there about three times a year.

These places are nearly universally terrible in NYC. I would never want to seek one out on vacation haha
OK. The man recently did jury duty downtown which is right next door to the original Chinatown. Who can explain why when he finished for the day he jumped back on the train and picked up vegetable egg foo young from the takeout joint down the street from us? I just don't get it, LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter