How to plan a trip for Sept 2020, 12 days?

maxiv

the guy from overseas
Hi all,

my girlfriend and I are planning a very special trip in 2020, most likely during the second half of september
- Late 20's/early 30's couple, no kids
- Huge food-lovers, that's probably where a lot of our budget is going to go to
- We're flying in from Germany
- We're planning 12 days at WDW with 2 or 3 rest days, that also includes 2 days at Universal
- Probably going to rent a car so we're mobile.

We're heavily contemplating to rent points via a broker, since it seems that we can get rooms at Deluxe resorts (AKL, WL or BW) for around $150 - $200. We're also thinking to split the stay between two different resorts - BW for proximity to Epcot and DHS, AKL/WL for the sheer beauty of those resorts. Any other opinions?

How you go about planning such a trip? Is there any advantage to involve a travel planner, even if we're booking the resort via a DVC rental broker site?
It also looks like we're just better of being somewhat spontaneous and just paying our meals out of pocket instead of going with a Dining Plan?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Do not budget based on AKV Value or BWV Standard. When I see renters mentioning either BWV or AKV this has to be mentioned. As a renter in september you are unlikely to get either.

AKV Standard or Savannah, and BWV Pool/Garden should be your budget.

I agree with you on the Dining Plan, I've never been able to get the numbers to work out and save money, and I eat well. Renting a car is nice, but it would be quite expensive over the course of your trip, especially considering the Disney will provide your bus transportation to/from the airport and to/from the theme parks and Disney Springs And you can have same day grocery delivered (if you want to have a few meals in your room) from many different sources, including Amazon Prime Now (different from regular AMazon Prime) and Whole Foods market, the resort store also carry things like lunch meats, breads and so forth, I'd consider renting a car just for the days you intend to go to Universal. There are rental cars onsite, at the car care center by Magic Kingdom through Alamo/National. They can pick you up and drop you off at your resort to take you to the car care center.

Have a great trip!

Late Sept means Food & Wine at Epcot. You don't need to eat anything other than the food at the booths. I think we spent $110 the first day we were there and maybe $75 the next. And we ate a lot and ate good. Forget about the Dining Plan during Food & Wine. But for you AKV stay, you can buy the plan for that stay if you don't plan on going to Epcot for those days.

I think trying to rent points is a solid choice for staying deluxe and saving a some money.

If it were me, these would be my choices in order of preference:
1. BWV - I love the location - walk to EP and HS - tons of dining options within walking distance and you have Jellyrolls on the Boardwalk which is a fun night out.
2. BCV - for the same reason of walking to EP and HS and all the dining but add a fabulous pool.
3.CCC - Copper Creek at WL is new and I love that it's a boat ride over to MK.

Thanks for your input, guys!

We're trying to get Standard rooms at BWV and probably trying to get Value Rooms at AKL.
If not, we'll have to see what we're doing ;-)

What do you think about involving a travel agent? Does that even make sense, since he probably won't be involved in the DVC rental process?

Probably going to rent a car so we're mobile.
We rented a car for our three week trip. Two weeks at AKL and one week at HRH. It basically gathered leaves in the car park! We used it to drive to and from the airport, one shopping trip to Mall at Millenia, two trips to Seaworld and from AKL to HRH. Uber (Lyft) are much cheaper in the US than in Europe.
WDW food and drink is expensive, so consider the DPs and try to work out whether you would win/lose. CL at WDW is a money saver if you take advantage of everything the lounges offer.
Also, make sure you carry ID (for purchasing alcohol) everywhere. My young adults used their original photo driving licence plus a paper copy of their passport. They put them in a ziplock bag. Have fun planning.

We're trying to get Standard rooms at BWV and probably trying to get Value Rooms at AKL.
The number of those rooms is very small. Owners love to book those rooms. The chances of you getting those rooms as a renter are very low. “See what you’re doing“ now and make a plan for when you do not get one of those types of rooms.

Your chances of getting standard BWV and AKL value rooms as a renter are extremely low. Not impossible, but seriously, very, very, very unlikely. Owners at those resorts usually grab those first thing.

Thanks for your input, guys!

What do you think about involving a travel agent? Does that even make sense, since he probably won't be involved in the DVC rental process?

If by a travel agent, you mean one of the brokers who deal in DVC rentals, then you might try but do not expect that to increase your chances of getting an AKV value or BWV standard studio.

An owner of a resort can reserve online beginning at 8 a.m. eastern at exactly 11 months out from date of arrival. AKV value studios very often fill within nanoseconds after 8 a.m. at 11 months out; often your start date is even filled before you can attempt the reservation at 8 a.m., by owners who have booked multiple nights days earlier. In other words, many AKV owners actually fail to reserve AKV value studios when they try. Thus, to get AKV value studios, you need to be both extremely lucky and able to find an owner who is willing to try for AKV at exactly 8 a.m. at 11 months out AND willing to return your money to you if, as he likely will suspect, he fails, and neither you nor a broker will likely have an easy time finding such an owner. You are looking at going second half of Sep 2020. That means you are going to need to book in about a week to two weeks from now. That also means you need to immediately find that often unfindable AKV owner who is willing to try to do that AKV value reservation at exactly 11 months out.

BWV studios are similar, although you have a somewhat better chance at getting one of those at 8 a.m. eastern at 11 months out in September as long as you are not seeking late September, such as the last 5 or 6 nights, because that is when DVC's high demand season, that runs until January, begins. But even for earlier in Sep, the issue can still exist, and you will still face the same issue of finding an owner willing to try to make the reservation at exactly 8 a.m. at 11 months out, and return all your money if he fails.

If by travel agent you meant someone other than a broker that does DVC, then that would be pointless. Other than those who actually deal in DVC rentals, travel agents cannot help get you a DVC rental, and most would not even know where to begin.

Last edited:
Depending of your budget, if not renting points, checkout the offers at the UK and Irish site. As Europeans we can book there and these offers are usually cheaper than these through US-travel agents. I also was lucky with room-only prices at some third party-agencies from Europe and combine it with the UK-tickets. As for the DP, when drinking alcohol at the meals, it could be worth it. I usually go without it but I'm no foodie...

Depending of your budget, if not renting points, checkout the offers at the UK and Irish site. As Europeans we can book there and these offers are usually cheaper than these through US-travel agents. I also was lucky with room-only prices at some third party-agencies from Europe and combine it with the UK-tickets. As for the DP, when drinking alcohol at the meals, it could be worth it. I usually go without it but I'm no foodie...
This. The UK deals are some of the best around. Inxludes 10day hoppers meal plans and sometimes GCs on top. You could check in with one of the top UK travel agents and see if they could plan a splitstay at that time. Deluxe resorts are cheaper at that time. Different pattern than DVC

Those are such great tips, thanks guys!
Turns out we can't do September, so now we're looking at late November / early December. Since I learned here that the cheaper DVC rooms aren't usually available for rental, we're most likely going to look at other options, probably a Value or Moderate Resort (split stay) via the UK site - that was a great input, thank you!

@Rowlf the Dog I'll be in touch :)

Those are such great tips, thanks guys!
Turns out we can't do September, so now we're looking at late November / early December. Since I learned here that the cheaper DVC rooms aren't usually available for rental, we're most likely going to look at other options, probably a Value or Moderate Resort (split stay) via the UK site - that was a great input, thank you!

@Rowlf the Dog I'll be in touch :)

You are welcome. Or consider a split stay between Moderate (I would recommend Port Orleans) and Deluxe. For example this year I really got a great deal for AKL with 240€/night via a third party agenciy

Turns out we can't do September, so now we're looking at late November / early December.

I would rate your ability to get BWV Standard, AKV Value or BLT Standard for the later dates as zero point zero percent. Looking at UK deals will be a much more satisfying experience. I know UK often has deals on Coronado; I highly recommend that resort.

Where would be the best place to book good deals as a European? disneyholidays.co.uk? Are there any UK travel agents that you would recommend?

My understanding is Virgin UK often has free dining and other UK-specific offers. Thomas Cook used to be fine, but... yeah no.

I saw yesterday that there is quite the difference between offers on the Irish vs European disneyholidays site.
As a German, can I also book from the Ireland site!?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts