how to pick a stateroom? new to this

Julie in PA

Earning My Ears
We are thinking about taking a Disney Cruise. We would just do an inside stateroom. How do we know what decks are better? and do we pick Aft, Midship, or forward? Help!

It's really a matter of preference, but the most preferred staterooms are midship in a higher or middle deck (deck 6 or above). Those staterooms generally are in a higher category and cost more. As for inside staterooms, the ones on a higher deck (5 or 6 and above) cost more than those on decks 1 or 2.

It is all good. You will have a great trip, not because of what cabin you pick or where it is located, but because of your attitude on the trip.

You will get a lot of general advice about where on the ship costs more and what type of cabin costs more, but it will vary a lot by specific cruise. So before you decide upper deck/lower deck, fore/aft/mid, veranda/inside/outside, figure out which dates or at least which itinerary you might like and look to see how much extra different options cost for that cruise.

For example, I've sometimes read on here that there is a big difference (like two-fold) between inside and veranda. When we did our cruise, the difference was less than 10%. So before you decide what is worth paying for, for you, you need to know how much extra each option will be, FOR YOU.

Personally, I like a veranda. I know people say that they don't spend much time in the cabin, so it doesn't matter, but I feel that when I have a veranda it causes me to spend more time in it. Plus, if you are traveling with a family, you may HAVE to spend a bunch of time in your cabin while your family gets ready in the morning or for dinner, or in the evening, and then a veranda was great, so I could hang out out there and not feel like I was waiting for my family, but instead like I was still on a cruise. Would I pay double for that? Personally, no, but for 10% extra, definitely.

As for the other questions, Fore and Aft cost less than Midships, but not by much. People like Midships to cut down on walking, and if you have trouble walking, this could be important to you, but if your family is mobile, you may not find it matters much. The ships aren't THAT big. Also, there are only three zones, so certain "aft" cabins are very near certain "midships" cabins, even though the price is different. Same with Fore.

High and low is a similar story. Some people feel that lower down is better for motion sickness (though as a motion sensitive person, I didn't find the ship to be nearly as difficult as a lot of other situations), other people like upper decks for the view or being closer to the pool. Again, I didn't find the ship to be so big that it mattered much which deck I was on, but if a couple flights of stairs or waiting for an elevator are an issue for you, then a centrally located cabin my work better for you.

Have a great time, and don't worry. It will be good regardless of which cabin you pick.

Last edited:
It is all good. You will have a great trip, not because of what cabin you pick or where it is located, but because of your attitude on the trip.

You will get a lot of general advice about where on the ship costs more and what type of cabin costs more, but it will vary a lot by specific cruise. So before you decide upper deck/lower deck, fore/aft/mid, veranda/inside/outside, figure out which dates or at least which itinerary you might like and look to see how much extra different options cost for that cruise.

For example, I've sometimes read on here that there is a big difference (like two-fold) between inside and veranda. When we did our cruise, the difference was less than 10%. So before you decide what is worth paying for, for you, you need to know how much extra each option will be, FOR YOU.

Personally, I like a veranda. I know people say that they don't spend much time in the cabin, so it doesn't matter, but I feel that when I have a veranda it causes me to spend more time in it. Plus, if you are traveling with a family, you may HAVE to spend a bunch of time in your cabin while your family gets ready in the morning or for dinner, or in the evening, and then a veranda was great, so I could hang out out there and not feel like I was stuck waiting for my family. Would I pay double for that? Personally, no, but for 10% extra, definitely.

As for the other questions, Fore and Aft cost less than Midships, but not by much. People like Midships to cut down on walking, and if you have trouble walking, this could be important to you, but if your family is mobile, you may not find it matters much. The ships aren't THAT big. Also, there are only three zones, so certain "aft" cabins are very near certain "midships" cabins, even though the price is different. Same with Fore.

High and low is a similar story. Some people feel that lower down is better for motion sickness (though as a motion sensitive person, I didn't find the ship to be nearly as difficult as a lot of other situations), other people like upper decks for the view or being closer to the pool. Again, I didn't find the ship to be so big that it mattered much which deck I was on, but if a couple flights of stairs or waiting for an elevator are an issue for you, then a centrally located cabin my work better for you.

Have a great time, and don't worry. It will be good regardless of which cabin you pick.

Thank you so much for your reply - you made me feel so much better

A room midship will have less motion. If you might get seasick this is the best option. How many people will be in your party? Some rooms you can fit four or five, but these cabins are pretty small and can feel cramped if it's 5 adults. You can google the room you're thinking about and reviews of that room will come up. Picking a room under additional rooms usually will keep the noise level down. Whereas if you're under the gym or the pool deck it could be noisy.

I prefer the rooms slightly down the hall from the elevators, those right in front might have more noise since people have to walk by for the elevator.

Just be aware that some inside rooms do not have a split bath. This matters to some people.

I personally like to be near things I plan on spending the most of my time at. Spa and Adult deck on the Dream or Fantasy? I'll be in the front please. Kids activities and family spaces? I'll be in the back please.

I despise any room between the mid and aft elevators. Too noisy for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter