How to keep little ones occupied while waiting for FoF Parade

If you go with bubble, please be sure you are not blowing them towards anyone. Not everyone likes them, and some are allergic to the solution. I have a few skin allergies, and it isn't as simple as wiping the offending solution off. I will have a mark for days! Also, no one would want them to get on their phone or camera they may be using.

I also hate the argument of Well, would you rather have a happy child doing something annoying or a crabby child? That is such a parental cop out. You find something else to keep them happy and occupied that doesn't involve others having to suffer.

Last edited:
To play devils advocate, and I'm not trying to fan the flames and turn this into a big debate, but what do you think the majority of adults would want: Happy, laughing kids with the annoying bubbles floating around, or screaming kids who are hot, tired and bored? Personally, as an adult I like popping bubbles myself, so I would have fun popping the poor defenseless bubble that got in my way. Just a thought.
As I pointed out, there are plenty of ways to keep a child entertained that do not involve being an annoyance to others. My kids would have loved to run around a restaurant, playing tag and hiding & seek under the tables. But that's annoying, dangerous and just not the right place for that kind of entertainment. Bubble guns have their place as well. Shooting them off in a crowd is not one of them.

I thought about buying glow sticks/tubes and what not before we go, but I'd be afraid they'd all be broken and glowed out by the time we got there.

We bring glow stuff every trip. The tubes they are sold in protect them just fine. Just don't fly with them in a carry on since they have liquid in them.

The great bubble debate :rolleyes2 While I personally try to make my children less annoying to others around them (i.e. not blowing bubbles directly at people), sometimes they are just annoying for a second before I notice! So sorry to the anti-bubble crew who my kids might have tortured in my moment of distraction. On the flip side, if bubbles truly annoy/offend you no matter where they are blowing, I don't know what you tell you, you're at Disney! They sell the bubbles!

The great bubble debate :rolleyes2 While I personally try to make my children less annoying to others around them (i.e. not blowing bubbles directly at people), sometimes they are just annoying for a second before I notice! So sorry to the anti-bubble crew who my kids might have tortured in my moment of distraction. On the flip side, if bubbles truly annoy/offend you no matter where they are blowing, I don't know what you tell you, you're at Disney! They sell the bubbles!

Sure they sell them. But they don't come with instruction to use in a crowd, or to make sure you blow them on others. Use them, but be conscious of when, where, and how they are being used. They sell balloons too, but hopefully kids don't walk around whacking other guests with them.

I'm already coming up with ways to keep my kid occupied while standing in line, which I think would be the worse place to have a bubble machine go off. I know my DD would love to look at a map and plan out where she would want to go next.

Sure they sell them. But they don't come with instruction to use in a crowd, or to make sure you blow them on others. Use them, but be conscious of when, where, and how they are being used. They sell balloons too, but hopefully kids don't walk around whacking other guests with them.

There is the obvious of not blowing in peoples faces, and I'd take the bubbles away from my DD if she did that.

If Disney sells them, they are expected to be used at Disney World, in which there is always a crowd and contact with bubbles is therefore inevitable. Disney also sells those flashing-light Mickey ears and necklaces, which I have a real problem with and they give me bad headaches (it's not just disney, any flashing light e.g., video games, night clubs cause me problems, and it is a common issue and can even cause seizures). Disney also sells annoying rental strollers that have sharp plastic edges which I got a bad cut from on my last trip from someone bumping into me. One of my sons is scared of the loud sounds made by fireworks and we have to leave early or go indoors to avoid them at the parks. The list could go on and on. My view is that if you go somewhere where an activity you find annoying is permitted (and in fact encouraged by the proprietor through on-site sales), you just have to be responsible for avoiding it or else suck it up -- you can't go around telling other people not to buy bubbles/light necklaces/strollers or to cancel fireworks because you don't like it.

If Disney sells them, they are expected to be used at Disney World, in which there is always a crowd and contact with bubbles is therefore inevitable. Disney also sells those flashing-light Mickey ears and necklaces, which I have a real problem with and they give me bad headaches (it's not just disney, any flashing light e.g., video games, night clubs cause me problems, and it is a common issue and can even cause seizures). Disney also sells annoying rental strollers that have sharp plastic edges which I got a bad cut from on my last trip from someone bumping into me. One of my sons is scared of the loud sounds made by fireworks and we have to leave early or go indoors to avoid them at the parks. The list could go on and on. My view is that if you go somewhere where an activity you find annoying is permitted (and in fact encouraged by the proprietor through on-site sales), you just have to be responsible for avoiding it or else suck it up -- you can't go around telling other people not to buy bubbles/light necklaces/strollers or to cancel fireworks because you don't like it.
:sad2:

I'm already coming up with ways to keep my kid occupied while standing in line, which I think would be the worse place to have a bubble machine go off. I know my DD would love to look at a map and plan out where she would want to go next.

There is the obvious of not blowing in peoples faces, and I'd take the bubbles away from my DD if she did that.

I actually don't think we've ever taken them in line. I believe we've always left them in the stroller. I am sure though, at some point, my kids bubbles while we were walking and pushing the stroller annoyed SOMEBODY. Can't make everyone happy, but can be a decent person and try not to be annoying ;) My oldest is getting to the loving maps age, thank goodness, but I've still got the two year old who loves.... bubbles, and all things annoying ;) Haha!!

I would hope most people would. But unfortunately there are some with the attitude shown up-thread of Well, would you rather have them pitching a fit or blowing bubbles?

I do think most people would take the bubbles away if the child was not behaving as instructed. But, I also give people the benefit of the doubt because, there are no perfect parents. My children do things that sometimes take a moment or two for me to get under control. I think some people get sensitive about the bubbles and think everyone is just letting kids run wild ruining everyone's vacation with the bubbles, when in fact that isn't the case.

We people watch, look at our Memory Maker photos on my phone, watch our ride videos, search for FP, eat a snack.

I actually don't think we've ever taken them in line. I believe we've always left them in the stroller. I am sure though, at some point, my kids bubbles while we were walking and pushing the stroller annoyed SOMEBODY. Can't make everyone happy, but can be a decent person and try not to be annoying ;) My oldest is getting to the loving maps age, thank goodness, but I've still got the two year old who loves.... bubbles, and all things annoying ;) Haha!!
If you're walking with a stroller and your tot is happily blowing bubbles, I can alter my path to avoid them. My issue is with parents who feel that their child's happiness (and their lack of inventiveness when it comes to quietly entertaining their kid) trumps anyone else's comfort when waiting in a confined areas such as an attraction queue, a viewing area for an outdoor show or along a parade route. Maybe your kid's bubbles annoyed me for the brief moment that it took for me to move upwind of you. But there are a lot of passing annoyances at WDW that I shrug off...people who stop dead in their tracks to study a map, flash photography on dark rides, people who feel the need recite the Ghost Host's script along with him in the stretching room, people for whom deodorant is a foreign concept.

Momoftwins post embodies everything wrong in the parks.

If you're walking with a stroller and your tot is happily blowing bubbles, I can alter my path to avoid them. My issue is with parents who feel that their child's happiness (and their lack of inventiveness when it comes to quietly entertaining their kid) trumps anyone else's comfort when waiting in a confined areas such as an attraction queue, a viewing area for an outdoor show or along a parade route. Maybe your kid's bubbles annoyed me for the brief moment that it took for me to move upwind of you. But there are a lot of passing annoyances at WDW that I shrug off...people who stop dead in their tracks to study a map, flash photography on dark rides, people who feel the need recite the Ghost Host's script along with him in the stretching room, people for whom deodorant is a foreign concept.

I actually do believe that Disney World is the one place where a child's joy is more important than an adult's discomfort. You all obviously disagree, but Disney World would not sell bubbles if it expected children to refrain from using them at a parade route, outdoor show, outdoor ride queue or other crowded area (which covers pretty much EVERYWHERE at MK by the way). So if you want to advocate for Disney to stop selling the things, go ahead, but I really don't think it's correct to criticize parents for purchasing products that Disney enticingly promotes to kids ever 50 feet, and that are intended to be used in its crowded parks, and that are designed to spread a large number of bubbles in every which direction. I don't believe nor have I seen any evidence there is an epidemic of small children walking up to adults and pointing bubbles wands directly in their faces, but I do see quite a few adults angrily sniping at families with bubble blowers that are just distributing ambient bubbles that are then picked up by the wind and blown at the adults, through no intent of the child's.

More to the point, no matter what is said about them on this board, there are going to be thousands of people who don't read this board and use the bubbles at parks, so I think it is something everyone has to accept as an inevitable annoyance that we are all powerless to change, like drunk people in world showcase.

They sell cameras and there are times they tell you to refrain from using them. So saying because something is sold in the parks they are free to be used at all times is a lame excuse at best for being rude and inconsiderate.

No one has said to not use bubbles at all. But to be courteous when using them. Which shouldn't be hard. You simply need to pay attention to your child, and what they are doing. If the bubbles seem to be irritating someone, you find something else to entertain your child with. It is simple. But I guess it is easier to blame others....

Last edited:
They sell cameras and there are times they tell you to refrain from using them. So saying because something is sold in the parks they are free to be used at all times is a lame excuse at best for being rude and inconsiderate.

No one has said to not use bubbles at all. But to be courteous when using them. Which shouldn't be hard. You simply need to pay attention to your child, and what they are doing. If the bubbles seem to be irritating someone, you find something else to entertain your child with. It is simple. But I guess it is easier to blame others....

Actually I think this proves my point - the CMs tell you not to use cameras at certain events, but they do not tell you not to use bubbles, even though lots of people do. They are pretty good about enforcing other rules at parade time, e.g., where you can stand, which places you can cross the street. To me, it sounds like people here are annoyed by bubbles, period, and think parents shouldn't use them. Fine for them to be annoyed (though I really quite surprised how bothered people are--they are just bubbles!), but I don't think one irritated person has the right to veto an activity enjoyed by children when it is perfectly allowed. I don't see any guidance here on what is acceptable bubble use, just people saying never use them in a crowded place where the bubbles could bother others, but that is everywhere! Are we going to have to have designated bubble areas like designated smoking areas?

Maybe if too many parents lack common sense they should have a designated area! Also believe Disney thinks it is obvious that some items they sell are not to be used in crowds. But maybe they are thinking too highly of some guests, assuming they will exibt common courtesy.

All you have to do is make sure your child isn't blowing bubbles on people. Not hard. And if a parent finds that too complicated they shouldn't be buying bubbles in the first place.

Last edited:
Seeing kids with bubbles and laughter on their faces? Awesome.

Having bubbles in my face, blown into my hair because the child is blowing them right at me? Not Awesome.

And no a queue isn't the place for bubbles because of enclosed space with others so it's much appreciative to those who wouldn't have bubble machines or whatnot while waiting in a queue.

Whatever activity you do just have awareness of those around you. That concept is ridiculously easy to get some just choose not to utilize that concept.

As for other activities I'd try and look at what you do normally at home when you need to occupy their time-within reason of course. Do you play games with them, do you bring a book they like, do you bring an activity book, do you go for snack time. This was a long time ago but my mom used to bring the Brain Quest trivia deck version with her when we would go to places like restaurants and whanot where waiting would occur. They have workbooks nowadays (I saw them at Costco a while back too). That's more of a cerebral time occupation though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter