How to film the fireworks

Alejandro Puyol

Pareja con Orejas
Hey there!

I want to film the MK fireworks. Does anybody have any tips on how to do so to avoid people walking in front of the camera?

Set up at a spot where people can't walk in front of your camera? :confused3

I mean, if you scope things out, you should have a relatively easy time doing this.

Stake out your spot well in advance? There are several locations where you can position yourself right up against a rail, preventing people from walking directly in front of you. These are somewhat limited, fairly popular among photographers for that exact reason, and most offer varying takes on location. These will range from all the way at the opposite end of Main Street at the second level of the train station to some off center locations closer to the hub. Just walk around before hand to see what works for you.

Stake out your spot well in advance? There are several locations where you can position yourself right up against a rail, preventing people from walking directly in front of you. These are somewhat limited, fairly popular among photographers for that exact reason, and most offer varying takes on location. These will range from all the way at the opposite end of Main Street at the second level of the train station to some off center locations closer to the hub. Just walk around before hand to see what works for you.
I don't think the viewing area on the second level of the train station is open to the general public any longer.

Monopod with a belt holster and a wide angle lens - that, with a little bit of angle, got me above the crowd heads for both the fireworks and the castle lighting for Christmas (where I used a 24-70 so I could zoom in on the actors from the garbage can just outside the hub... didn't help though as everyone put their kids on the shoulders!). If you're trying to do HEA with the projections you're going to want to be closer to the castle than further - but then you have the problem of making sure you can capture all the fireworks (wide angle helps here too).

Also, if you can swing it - get a better stereo mic than the one on your camera - I use a Rode Video Stereo Pro that's been well worth the cost to capture the deep bass of the fireworks.

put the camera on a rock, fence, trashcan, or tripod...... iso 100.....f10ish.......set focuss......1 second exposure...........set up camera to just continue to fire every ten socnds for the duration of the fireworks.......take home and see what you have

Another tip in addition to all of the location tips above is to turn off auto focus on the camera once you have it set up for your location. Most video cameras will get all confused by the bright light and keep trying to refocus which will drive you crazy when viewing it back later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!