How to 'explain' a solo trip to people?

I went through this a bit for my recent solo to WDW; honestly it's only as awkward as you make it. I found the best response was that I don't want to let others schedules keep me from doing what I want to do. In other words if you're always waiting for other people so you avoid the perceived social stigma that doing things solo is awkward you're going to miss out on things you love.

I think the most awkward part for me was convincing people that was going solo not why I was going solo but that's more due to situations in my life that probably don't apply to everyone lol

I just present it to begin with as a time to do whatever the heck I want. I'm going to watch DD's band play, but I'm not going with the band like most of the parents. I'm doing my own things, free from responsibility!

In other words if you're always waiting for other people so you avoid the perceived social stigma that doing things solo is awkward you're going to miss out on things you love.

THIS exactly. Ive had so many amazing life experiences that many people of my age and background never have, not just going to Disney solo. Ive had opportunities in my life that if I had waited for other people to decide to go then I would have missed out on so much. Now when I talk about things I have experienced, people say , wait hold up you were THERE, omg I would have loved to do that but I had no one to go with.

I've never been
It's on my bucket list
Because I want too
Why not
Are all acceptable answers to anyone who questions you. You don't anyone an explanation of why you want to go anywhere, if they press you for one then just tell them you need a place to go to get away from nosy people and you heard there aren't any in DL ;)

I went through this a bit for my recent solo to WDW; honestly it's only as awkward as you make it. I found the best response was that I don't want to let others schedules keep me from doing what I want to do. In other words if you're always waiting for other people so you avoid the perceived social stigma that doing things solo is awkward you're going to miss out on things you love.

I think the most awkward part for me was convincing people that was going solo not why I was going solo but that's more due to situations in my life that probably don't apply to everyone lol

I agree totally! I am getting a lot of 'next year' or 'some other time', which has led me to consider solo travel to the DLR. There might be some awkwardness but I can handle it.

I've definitely had people think it was weird for me to go solo (or even just in a group of adults with no kids), but I just don't worry about what they think. I would just be honest and say it sounds like fun to you, so you're going. Anyone who pushes you on that doesn't really deserve the additional effort to explain it.

Have fun!

I've definitely had people think it was weird for me to go solo (or even just in a group of adults with no kids), but I just don't worry about what they think. I would just be honest and say it sounds like fun to you, so you're going. Anyone who pushes you on that doesn't really deserve the additional effort to explain it.

Have fun!

I agree totally. Talking to other adult/solo travelers, I at least have the advantage of living in an area (Southeast PA), where there is a huge Disney fan base so I don't get pushback for going to Disney without children.

As you state, no additional explanation is required!!

My coworkers are used to me going to Disney solo, so I don’t really get pushback there. But I understand where you are coming from. When I took my first trip to Europe I went solo, and didn’t want everyone telling me what could go wrong, so I just stayed really vague about my plans. My family didn’t know until a couple weeks before I left. When the coworkers would say “Are you going to Disney?” I would say something like “I really enjoy going to Disney.” without saying yes or no. If they asked which Disney hotel I was staying in, I might say “Wilderness Lodge is my favorite Disney hotel.” I never confirmed or denied anything. Imagine their surprise when they saw my vacation photos when I got back!

You aren’t obligated to explain anything, and you don’t have to share your plans any more than you feel comfortable.

My coworkers are used to me going to Disney solo, so I don’t really get pushback there. But I understand where you are coming from. When I took my first trip to Europe I went solo, and didn’t want everyone telling me what could go wrong, so I just stayed really vague about my plans. My family didn’t know until a couple weeks before I left. When the coworkers would say “Are you going to Disney?” I would say something like “I really enjoy going to Disney.” without saying yes or no. If they asked which Disney hotel I was staying in, I might say “Wilderness Lodge is my favorite Disney hotel.” I never confirmed or denied anything. Imagine their surprise when they saw my vacation photos when I got back!

You aren’t obligated to explain anything, and you don’t have to share your plans any more than you feel comfortable.

I am glad you get where I am coming from, and that the vague plan worked out well enough. I believe that is the strategy I shall try.

The security at the airport asked me questions on why I was going to Disney alone. He said "no kids? that's no fun"

It can be especially awkward if you're married and going solo. DH encourages my solo trips, but we both get strange looks if either one of us tells someone that I'mm going solo. I remember meeting another married solo woman one time who told me that her DMIL was so upset that DH would answer the phone when DMIL called and just say that she was in the shower. What's ironic is that no one thinks twice about DH going on a golf trip alone. That's why DH encourages my solo WDW trips-he sees it as "money in the bank" (if you know what I mean) for him to take a golf trip.

I think it depends on who you are talking too. I have been going to WDW solo for 18 years. I have talked in conversation with family about it, but, never defensively. That might be an important part. Non-relatives that might look surprised are of no concern of mine. Why I do it, is 150% my business and no one else's. I go there I enjoy it. I ride all the rides (even some that might easily be considered kid rides that fit families). No one knows if I am there by myself or just that others that I might be with are doing something that I don't want too, so I do my thing. However, no one has ever asked me.

The closest I have ever been to it, was one time when I was sitting on a bench just a little ways from Splash Mountain. I had just been on it and my shirt was a little wet. A man, woman and their little girl (I'd say about 8 years old) were also sitting on the bench taking a break. They did ask if I was waiting for someone, I replied... no, just taking a break between rides. Their concern seemed to be more focused on my age riding all the rides then the fact that I was alone. The scary part of that is that I was only in my late 50's at the time. I wonder how surprised they would be if they knew that in my 70's I still do the same thing when I get the chance. They were visibly and vocally surprised when I told them that I did all the rides. Their little girl asked me if I had any grandchildren. I replied that I did and told her that they were not much older then she was. She did seem more bewildered that I didn't bring them with me, then the fact that I was there.

Moral of the story... if what we are doing is legal, moral and harmless to others, no one has any right to judge what we are doing or why. I'm proud of the fact that I have been able to keep my inner child within screaming distance of my old mans body. I have never once felt uncomfortable telling anybody that asked that I was there by myself and everyone seemed to just accept it as it was. If they didn't, well, frankly, that is their problem. Any opportunity to have an excuse to be a kid again, is a day well spent. The older we get the fewer chances we have to do that.

I just remembered a cute trick a good friend of mine did regarding my solo trips. She "got it"-understood why I wanted to go solo, but other co-workers were sure it was just an excuse for me to have an illicit rendezvous with another man. When they would make suggestive comments about what they suspected was my "true" reason for the solo trip, she'd whisper to them, very confidentially, "OK, you figured it out-she IS visiting another man and his name is...[this is where she draws them very close] MICKEY MOUSE!!" and would laugh hysterically. But it got the point across.

After my divorce, I was dating a young lady that really didn't travel very much. We discussed going to WDW and decided that we would go. I purchased the plane tickets and four day PH. park tickets for us. I gave her the park tickets for Christmas. Shortly after Christmas (we were planning to go mid February) she confided that she really was afraid of flying. Fortunately I had refundable tickets. I offered to make it a road trip, which she was comfortable with and she excitedly agreed. So it was done and done. She had left her ticket with me for safe keeping, (if you knew her you would know that was a good choice as she would surely lose them). Two days before we were supposed to leave, she told me that she couldn't go because she couldn't find anyone to feed her cat and dog.

So, I went solo twice. For some reason she was upset with me for going. It was like she thought I would stay home because she didn't want to go. The reality was that all I could think of was that I had dodged a major sized bullet. We were no longer an item after that. Whew! I went that time on my ticket and since in those days you didn't need to link a name to the tickets... the following year, I got to go again with her ticket. If you think that the excuse was legit, no it wasn't. She was a friend of my sister and she hadn't even asked anyone that she knew. Whew, again. If I can get poetic for just a moment...... Solo, is the way to so go!

Last edited:
I never discuss my solo WDW trips with anyone but my DH. I found out that if I say I'm planning a trip I get "great - for when, I'd love to go too!" NOOoooooo! In my real life I have a lot of work and family responsibilities. My little solo trips are for me to enjoy something I love without having to be responsible for another person's needs or desires for one single second. This is my time to relax and recharge. My DH doesn't "get" Disney so he is perfectly happy to send me off when I need a break. My next trip will be in 25 days, and I just told them at work that I'm taking a few days off for holiday prep. They don't need to know that means me getting into the Christmas spirit at MVMCP!

Omg I love my kids and family but am totally jealous!!! Solo travel is the best! Total freedom. I went to a work conference in Orlando before my fam came out. Someone asked if I came alone and I said “heck yeah and it’s amazing!” Eat, sleep when I want and spew my stuff all over the hotel room. Talk to people only if/when I feel like it. Glorious. I would have gone to WDW solo if not for the guilt of having so much fun without the kids.

Go and have fun. My only request: if you’re a big dude have pity on the families and let the shorties see the parade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!