How to 'explain' a solo trip to people?

Spencer Wright

Constantly craving a zebra dome...
I have an absolutely burning desire to visit the DLR in 2019, and am thinking about visiting for a few days in May.

However, due to several factors, there is a %95 chance it would be a solo trip. I am okay with that, and understand the different Pro's and Con's.

The issue I am having is how to 'explain' to people I am going solo. I find the thought extremely awkward. Anyone else encounter this before? Any tips?

No reason to feel awkward. Just tell them that, even though Disney is primarily marketed towards families, there is plenty there for a solo adult to do as well. Disney doesn't advertise it to the general public, but they do take a something for everyone approach. I have been to Disney World solo, and you should not have any problem with going to Disneyland solo as well. It's a place for both the young, and the young at heart.

Mary Poppins: "I never explain anything."

Seriously, I'm an adult, it's my vacation time and money, I want to do it. That's my "explanation."

I'm not picking on you; it just frustrates me that we (people in general) feel we have to get others' approval of things we like /do that are really none of their concern.

Rhetorical question: Would you be concerned about "explaining" if you were going on a solo fishing or skiing trip, or is it just about anticipating the "why do you want to go to Disney? That's for kids!" nonsense?

"I'm going to Disneyland. I expect I will have a good time". Explanation done. No one's business if it's solo or with a 10 person party. If they ask - and are so rude as to question or be skeptical - say that you like having no one else's input on your schedule. You do what you want when you want. Sounds like fun to me and I've never done solo and may never do it. But I can see how it can be a good time.

I agree with above posters, why do you have to explain??

Im a solo traveller, I travel to California and Disneyland every June solo (June 2018 was my 8th trip ) As well as my annual California trip, I regularly travel solo to various European cities and have doe for as long as I can remember.

For example, next weekend I am travelling to Lisbon Portugal for The Web Summit Conference. I have never been to Lisbon and I dont speak Portuguese.

I have been to Disneyland Paris solo, I have done a 12 day 7 country bus tour around Europe solo and so much more.

I dont have a problem flying solo, staying in hotels solo, eating in restaurants solo. Its other people who have issues and think it odd, but I say fudge that.

I have the money and I can get time off work, Im streetwise, am very aware of my personal safety and I do what I want when I want.

Honestly those who are the most negative about solo travel are those who dont have the confidence and feel threatened by your confidence, self esteem and independence. They are negative because you are doing something they want to do but are to afraid to do.

Dont be limited by other peoples feelings and low self esteem. Take flight and make you happy.

Also there is a huge difference between being alone and being lonely.

I can be extremely happy and content when alone but often feel the loneliest when in a group of people

Last edited:

Mary Poppins: "I never explain anything."

Seriously, I'm an adult, it's my vacation time and money, I want to do it. That's my "explanation."

I'm not picking on you; it just frustrates me that we (people in general) feel we have to get others' approval of things we like /do that are really none of their concern.

Rhetorical question: Would you be concerned about "explaining" if you were going on a solo fishing or skiing trip, or is it just about anticipating the "why do you want to go to Disney? That's for kids!" nonsense?

I LOVE the Mary Poppins quote!! Luckily, I live in SE Pennsylvania where there is a massive WDW fan base, like DCV members and AP passholders are EVERYWHERE, so I never get any push back about going to Disney. I think its just the awkwardness of not having someone to go with. Friends I have either do not care for Disney or will not spend the money, and family has other obligations or things going on.

I think I just gotta suck it up and stick to a simple answer if anyone questions going alone. No one probably will!

...Honestly those who are the most negative about solo travel are those who dont have the confidence and feel threatened by your confidence, self esteem and independence. They are negative because you are doing something they want to do but are to afraid to do.

Dont be limited by other peoples feelings and low self esteem. Take flight and make you happy.

Also there is a huge difference between being alone and being lonely.

I can be extremely happy and content when alone but often feel the loneliest when in a group of people

I very much appreciate your thoughts and experience!!

I of course really want to go, and want to go in 2019 before Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opens, due to crowds and such. I don't have huge issues with crowds at Disney, but can only imagine what Star Wars will or won't do. I am thinking 3 full days with two travel days, so while it would probably be lonely at moments, I don't foresee that being a huge problem. I think I just need to be confident in expressing I am going it alone!!

In June 2018 I did 3 full park days in Disneyland, 1 day in California Adventures and 2 days in the main park. I did Fantasmic Blue Bayou dining package, I had lunch in Story tellers Restaurant, I did Turtle Talk with Crush and so much more. I talk to random people when waiting in line, I do pin trading, I have a book with me for restaurants, I sit and people watch, I do my favourite ride multiple times. Honestly I am never lonely in Disneyland. I never feel people are staring at me when I do rides solo or eat solo. Disneyland is my happy place, my escape from reality and I really dont care what anyone else thinks. :)

I have an absolutely burning desire to visit the DLR in 2019, and am thinking about visiting for a few days in May.

However, due to several factors, there is a %95 chance it would be a solo trip. I am okay with that, and understand the different Pro's and Con's.

The issue I am having is how to 'explain' to people I am going solo. I find the thought extremely awkward. Anyone else encounter this before? Any tips?

No need to explain to anyone. It's your vacation. Chances are, if you find you need to explain it, they won't understand it anyway:P
I am going on my first solo trip in January and I feel no need to tell the world. I have shared it with select friends and they are so excited for me:goofy:

No need to explain and Disney is the perfect place to go Solo.

If you wait for someone (whatever that may be), you will always be waiting and you won't experience what your heart desires.

Go and enjoy!

In June 2018 I did 3 full park days in Disneyland, 1 day in California Adventures and 2 days in the main park. I did Fantasmic Blue Bayou dining package, I had lunch in Story tellers Restaurant, I did Turtle Talk with Crush and so much more. I talk to random people when waiting in line, I do pin trading, I have a book with me for restaurants, I sit and people watch, I do my favourite ride multiple times. Honestly I am never lonely in Disneyland. I never feel people are staring at me when I do rides solo or eat solo. Disneyland is my happy place, my escape from reality and I really dont care what anyone else thinks. :)

Mine will be on the relative cheap, so I am thinking QS and bar food type stuff, and will enjoy browsing maps. I do not know too much about DLR, and will go in as blind as possible (in terms of attractions and stuff). In looking into this, I have only heard DLR is a GREAT place to to a solo trip!

No need to explain and Disney is the perfect place to go Solo.

If you wait for someone (whatever that may be), you will always be waiting and you won't experience what your heart desires.

Go and enjoy!

Thank You! That is why I thinking about just going. I cant keep telling myself 'next year'...

Thank You! That is why I thinking about just going. I cant keep telling myself 'next year'...
I’m heading on my first solo Disney trip in December. At this point most people know I’m going and explaining really hasn’t been necessary. I’ve gotten The Who are you going with questions and I say myself. That usually gets an oh response and they move on.

I put off trips to WDW for years cause I never even thought about going alone. These boards are what gave me the idea for the trip and now I’m going for it character meals and all! If it’s something you want to do go for it! It’ll be great!

I’m heading on my first solo Disney trip in December. At this point most people know I’m going and explaining really hasn’t been necessary. I’ve gotten The Who are you going with questions and I say myself. That usually gets an oh response and they move on...

Its the response that concerns me. I am happy to hear you and others don't seem to have much awkward explaining to do!

Have a magical time!

Try not to worry about it. In fact, DLR is very solo-friendly and if you lived out west or in SoCal, nobody would even bat an eye. It is very common for people to pop into DL or CA on their own. I mean, yeah, I primarily fall in the "who cares what anyone thinks" crowd, but it can help to realize that there are lots of others who think the way you do and wouldn't think it is odd to go solo at all.

I've never encountered this before. I've never had to explain to anyone why I'm going solo so I can't imagine finding it extremely awkward. Quite the opposite; several were envious.

My first WDW visit was a solo trip - flying across the country like you will do. Not one person in my circle (family/friends/co-workers) asked for an explanation.

If you feel the need to explain your decision how about saying; "I really want to see Disneyland and no one else can make it when I can so I've decided to treat myself to a vacation. Traveling solo can be a exciting experience." Would that be too awkward for you to say?
Its the response that concerns me.
You have no control over the possible responses. But you can control how it concerns you. You know your family/friends/co-workers better than I do; if their response will cause awkwardness I guess you'll have to (as you said) be confident. But who knows? Is it possible that your family/friends/co-workers will be excited for you?

several were envious.

This is normally the same response I get.
You go to Disneyland and spend 2 weeks in America EVERY year, wow, how can you afford THAT??? Id love to go to Disneyland ..... said by people who have young kids / SO / large mortgages / spend every Friday and Saturday in the pub etc etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts