How to do the ultimate surprise

tigger53

"It all started with a mouse!"
I am taking my grandchildren on a Disney vacation plus a 5 day cruise on the dream. They are 6 and 9 at the time of travel. Im doing this as a Christmas gift. Does anyone have some great ways I can spring this on them at Christmas. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thx. By the way I have many Disney trips under my belt with my kids and cruises too, but lately so much has changed. I’m a bit overwhelmed.

Awesome gift! Maybe give them Disney-themed beach towels and Mickey ears, etc? Something they won't immediately get like if you gave them tickets...but something they'll at first be like...huh? What's this? And watch their brains make connections. ;-)

It depends on how extravagant you want to get - my mom surprised our families a few years back with a letter from Mickey ( typed ) in an envelope from the Poly from back in the day when they had stationary in the rooms ( my mom keeps everything ). Youtube will have lots of ideas but here are a few:
  • Small box with Mickey wrapping paper around it or Mickey/Disney shaped cut outs - scroll inside 'announcing' the trip.
  • Box with items like towels, ears, guide booked ( or maps from the parks - you can usually find these on eBay or even someone here who's willing to send you some )
  • Large wrapped box - helium balloons inside that will raise up when opened and a note attached announcing the trip.
Happy Planning!

Can I piggyback on your post? We are planning on taking our daughter (my stepdaughter), her DH and our DGD this year and the trip will be their Christmas gift from us. BUT-- it's not like we can actually PLAN the trip until we can make sure they'll be able to get off work, etc. We have dates in mind and sort of a plan in mind... but can't really finalize anything before we let them in on it.
So was wondering how to go about that? I think some of the same ideas will apply.

I think it's easier just surprising little kids with the trip mostly planned, because they don't have to ask off work.
(And, fingers crossed it all goes well-- DH and I have been to WDW many many times, but it'll be the first for the rest.)

Can I piggyback on your post? We are planning on taking our daughter (my stepdaughter), her DH and our DGD this year and the trip will be their Christmas gift from us. BUT-- it's not like we can actually PLAN the trip until we can make sure they'll be able to get off work, etc. We have dates in mind and sort of a plan in mind... but can't really finalize anything before we let them in on it.
So was wondering how to go about that? I think some of the same ideas will apply.

I think it's easier just surprising little kids with the trip mostly planned, because they don't have to ask off work.
(And, fingers crossed it all goes well-- DH and I have been to WDW many many times, but it'll be the first for the rest.)

How old is your granddaughter? I would be very hesitant to announce the trip to her without speaking to her parents about it in advance.

my MIL is doing this for our family and extended family.( her two kids and their families) her and I are in the planning together. I printed up some boarding passes for her to wrap up for everyone. I am so stinkin excited about this trip. :)

I’m wrapping presents with Disney themed items inside and fake airline tickets to Disney ..( looks kinda real but has Mickey pictures etc
They are currently under the tree for now but they will disappear until I feel the time is right and I’ll “find the missing presents “ when I want to surprise them ( I have two preschoolers and I don’t want the trip to be the focus of the next however many days lol we go at Easter) I’m thinking valentines Day maybe ?? Or if I can hold off APril first (so hard)

How old is your granddaughter? I would be very hesitant to announce the trip to her without speaking to her parents about it in advance.
We've talked about it in more generic terms-- as in we're going to go one day and talked about how cute AoA is. Just haven't set dates, and won't be able to do that until after the trip is revealed, as the surprise gift is as much for the parents as the DGD.
The parents are going, too, and they want to go. We've all been to the zoo together, and other trips, and they recently went to Great Wolf Lodge-- trips that are pretty good stepping stones to judging her readiness for a Disney trip.
She's 2-1/2, and we want to go before she's 3.
I do see your point about not wanting her to get excited if the parents weren't on board, or if she had to wait too long, but I think we're ok there.

my MIL is doing this for our family and extended family.( her two kids and their families) her and I are in the planning together. I printed up some boarding passes for her to wrap up for everyone. I am so stinkin excited about this trip. :)

I found some 'fake' boarding passes, too, and those are printed up and I made the envelope to put them in with a pretty castle design on the front.

I'm using the Mickey & Minnie phone call that you can set up from your cruise page online - they're calling at 9am on Christmas morning (I have teenagers - younger kids I'd have them call at 7am) to tell the kids we're going in Feb.

I've seen puzzles you can buy for trips to DisneyWorld/Disneyland, but you could always design a custom one for a Disney Cruise.... give them a puzzle to put together that says "We're Going On A Disney Cruise!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!