How to board rides when you can’t walk far?

momof4kids

Earning My Ears
I have two bad knees and will be using a scooter. My question is, what should I do about rides like big thunder mountain railroad? I haven’t been in ten years (I could walk then) and I remember that queue being really narrow and LONG. I assume I’ll have to leave my scooter at the entrance, but how do folks with walking problems get to the ride?

I also have bad knees and use a scooter at WDW. For BTMRR you can go to the ride exit and a cast member will be there - you leave the scooter there and walk a short distance and board at the exit once people get off the ride. It's a short walk and you may have to stand and wait awhile. If you're not able to walk that distance or stand - perhaps there are WC's if someone in your party can push you (I'm ok with doing it this way). Splash Mountain has a similar sort of thing - you do go through the que a bit but are pulled out and will wait to enter at the exit. Both rides you may be waiting (in your ECV) for awhile if there's a line - it's not a direct walk on FYI. Both of those que's are hard for me so I do them this way if I want to ride them. Buzz Lightyear you also cannot take the scooter. I'm ok with that que if I have a fast pass (and the que is moving). Epcot's ball ride (cannot think of the name - lol) - also you enter at the exit and only have to walk a short distance. I think the FAQ for this board has this info on it but I'm not sure where it is directly. Some rides you can take the scooter right up to near the ride through the regular FP or standby que - some rides you have to transfer to a wheelchair or walk through the regular FP or standby que - and some rides you go through the exit.

As far as getting to the ride, you will be sent to an area on the side that people get off and will have a few feet to walk to the actual train car. Just ask the cast member where to go. I know with knee issues, it is very, very hard to get in and out of these rides. Even if you where able to get your ECV right up to the train car, it is the getting in and out that you will have a problem with. I have very minor knee issues and even I struggle with some of the rides. I think that this will be more of an issue for you then actually getting to the ride.

Most rides let you take your mobility device in line for the few they will have a way for you. For BTMRR you will go though the exit make sure you let the CM know how long you can stand and how fair you can walk as you might be standing inside the hold area longer then you are comfortable doing ( depending on how many other guest are infront of you). This will also help the CM know what kinds of accommodation you need. And make sure to go to the greeter at the FP or standby and ask them if the line is ECV accessible some you will need a wheelchair for

But again, don't simply go to the exit. Talk to the attraction's Greeter first.
Yes this is correct you need to go to the FP or standby to get your return time. I did have this in my post but you just took out a small part of it.

I have two bad knees and will be using a scooter. My question is, what should I do about rides like big thunder mountain railroad? I haven’t been in ten years (I could walk then) and I remember that queue being really narrow and LONG. I assume I’ll have to leave my scooter at the entrance, but how do folks with walking problems get to the ride?

I don't ride this anymore because it is so rough on my body as I slide (slam) from one side to the other. It just isn't as much fun for me anymore as I try to keep from slamming my body.

Plus I would have to ride twice because of entering through the exit instead of the regular queue.

But as everyone else has said, I usually go to a Disney cast member who directs me to the Big Thunder Mountain exit. I then meet another Disney cast member who asks a few questions.

If you want to stay in your wheelchair, they will guide you inside to a wooden wall area to wait for the handicap car to arrive near the rear of all of the cars.

But here is a great description from rolling with the magic.

http://www.rollingwiththemagicblog.com/big-thunder-mountain-railroad/

Big-Thunder-Mountain_.jpg

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is one of the attractions at the Magic Kingdom that wheelchair users use an alternate entrance. The attraction also has an accessible ride vehicle to make transferring easier. Check out the details below to see if the wildest ride in the wilderness is for you.

THE BASICS
Height Requirement: Guests must be 40in (102cm) or taller
Accessibility: Must Transfer from Wheelchair/ECV
FastPass+: Available
Who Should Ride: Anyone who loves thrill rides.

Big-Thunder-Mountain-Wheelchair-Access.jpg

The wheelchair queue is to the right of the standard queue next to one of the exits. There is a defined waiting area with a sign.

273-2.jpg

Since there is an alternate entrance, the Disability Access Service Card comes into play. If wheelchair access is the only accommodation you need you don’t need to get the card. However, at attractions with an alternate entrance, you may be given time to return depending on the current wait time.

After you wait outside you are taken to another waiting area inside. There is a gate and a wall for that area to keep you separate from guests who are exiting the attraction.

275-2-1024x768.jpg

One thing that I would like to point out is that wait times can vary greatly depending on how many people are in the alternate queue even if you get a return time. I’ve waited less than the posted wait time but more often than not the wait is longer. Also, you may have to wait a short time for the transfer access vehicle if you need it. You may want to ride early in the morning or later in the evening to avoid a long wait.

RIDE VEHICLE
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad features trains with accessible cars that are located on the back of the train. The side folds down to make it easier to get into the ride vehicle. A Cast Member will then move your wheelchair for you and then bring it back to once the ride is over.

276-2-1024x1004.jpg

Getting in is pretty easy but getting back out has always been a little more of a challenge for me. The way the side folds down when you get back out you has to lift yourself up onto it and then from there get back into your wheelchair. One tip I have is to mind the gap. There is a small space between the loading area and the train. It can be easy to get one of your front wheels stuck in it.

From Sue here from our forum:

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - the side of the car opens to allow more room for access. Thanks to Bill Sears for the photo.

Picture039.jpg

In most cases, a transfer access vehicle is going to be similar to the 'regular' ride vehicle, but have a larger opening with better access from the side into the ride car.

For some that are cars holding many people, like Star Tours or Tower of Terror, it would be a seat in that ride/theater car that is more accessible. In Star Tours, it would be the end seat in the front row, which had a movable arm rest.

Transfer device is going to be more specific to the particular ride vehicle. It is something portable that could be used or added to make transfer easier. Some possibilities include a sliding board, a grab bar that can be attached.
I don't have pictures of any of those, but would suggest talking to a Cast Member at each attraction to see what they have to offer.

Last edited:
Even if you haven't needed anything stronger than a Tylenol in those years, go talk to a doctor about something stronger just for your time in the park.

A mate of mine, has an ultra smooth drive power chair that is more comfortable for his extensive nerve pain (think lifetime all over Shingles). But because the chair isn't electrically driven, Disney doesn't like him to use it in the park. So he uses one of my Jazzy's that are much rougher on the body.

Long story short, he gets a 4 pack of Norco just for a trip to the parks even if he doesn't need the rest of the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter