How Sea world copy with the bad publicity movie: Black Fish

I think they currently are doing well. Definitely much better then when that "movie" first was released

Sometimes stock price is considered to be a barometer of how a company is doing.

We have some SeaWorld stock, not a lot, that we've held since May of 2015 (a buy about two years after Blackfish). I don't follow the market closely and mostly invest in mutual funds, but we do have small holdings in some individual companies that our son likes and thinks offer a great product. We really did this more than anything to get our son to understand how stocks work and to follow the stock market a little bit. SeaWorld stock continued to drop after our purchase due to Blackfish backlash despite the company having positive fundamentals. Despite in my opinion SeaWorld being the best of the best of marine parks, the movie which I feel was very one sided and deceptive -- (It sure was effective in it's purpose though) really took the stock for a nose dive for quite a few years (especially after the movie was aired heavily on CNN). // For a long time after the movie too, Charles Schwab (my brokerage) who gives ratings to stocks had SeaWorld stock rated with a D- rating. Although, certainly a low performing investment compared to how the stock market has done in general, I'm happy to report that my brokerage now rates the stock as a C and that I would make a healthy profit if I were to sell the stock today. Counting dividends the stock is up about 45% from when we purchased it, but don't be too impressed as that is over a three and a half year period.

Just for some comparisons, for the same period of time SeaWorld stock has performed better than Disney by a lot; similarly to Southwest Airlines, but better, and not nearly as well as Apple. These are the four companies my son most admired that we invested a small amount of money in.

Last edited:

OP - a quick google produced this. My family are fans, happy to see it bouncing back!

JMHO but one of the reasons is that their APHs are so reasonable compared to WDW & U. It’s not quite the sticker shock at renewal time vs the other two parks.:banana: If you plan on doing a Discovery Cove visit, you easily recoup the money spent on one APH and more on the discounted rates

SeaWorld Entertainment shares skyrocket the most in 5 years after attendance increases

• New attractions in several of SeaWorld's theme parks have driven up attendance in the past several months.
  • Attendance increased 4.8 percent to 6.4 million visitors from the year-ago quarter.
  • Attendance has suffered since the company's treatment of animals and related deaths of trainers was called into question in the 2013 documentary "Blackfish."
Published 1:03 PM ET Mon, 6 Aug 2018 Updated 4:03 PM ET Mon, 6 Aug 2018

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!