How scary is Space Mountain?

On our very first WDW trip my DS (6 then and about 46") & I went on SM. We got up to the front of the line and I realized that he couldn't sit beside me. I didn't want to leave since we had waited all that time, but didn't feel too comfortable with him not being next to me. He said he'd be alright, so we hoped on! I sat behind him. I reached up and patted his head the whole time thinking that he must be terrified. When we got off the ride he asked why I kept touching his head!! :rotfl: He loved it!! I thought it was pretty great too. But on our second trip, just last year, I thought it was way rougher then I remembered it being before. I was jerked back and forth and hit my head on the bar several times. :eek: DS (8 now) doesn't seem to have any trouble though. :confused3 I would think at only 48 lbs it would really jerk him around. I guess his little body can take it better than my old one!!

DS8 & I really prefer RNRC and EE, they seem faster and much smoother!

Is it scarier than the Superman ride of steel at Darien Lake? Both my boys went on that ride a thousand times, sat up front and everything, as I watched (clutching my chest) from the ground.
Yup, I'm a chicken....LOL

Ok, I'll add my two cents worth here. Space Mountain used to be my ride. I was a CM there a couple of times over the past few years, and she was my baby.

Space Mountain's biggest fear factor is that it is for all intensive purposes completely in the dark. Some people say they can see just fine, some can't see a thing. I guess it basically all depends on your night vision ability and how quickly your night vision kicks in after being in the light.

The best way to describe the right is that it is like Big Thunder, but in the dark. You cannot sit next to each other. It is single file seating with a T lap bar for each seat. As a parent unless you are very short or have little arms, you can usually reach up and touch your child's shoulder or they can reach back and hold your hand.

I've seen many families go on the ride, and usually the fear in the children isn't a fear of coasters, it's a fear of the dark.

At a top speed of 27 mph, on a good day, with the tallest drop being 27 feet and lasting with a free fall effect of less than 3 seconds, (Free fall is basically when the ride drops fast, and your stomach jumps into your throat.) Space Mountain is one of the mildest coasters around. It carries your standard warnings about heart conditions and back problems, but it's very tame. The entire ride lasts 90 seconds.

My recommendation is to be open and honest about the ride. If your child has already ridden other coasters they will probably be fine. If you get in line and get all the way up to the top and your child freaks out, don't worry. A cast member will be happy to show you to the unload area and probably help you with a child swap at that point. You've already waited in line, why make you wait again. If their especially nice, and I usually tried to be, because the kid was usually pretty upset at this point, they might even try to get you into another ride with out waiting since you already waited all that time for Space.

Secret note: If you ever hear that SM has broken down, go ride the TTA. It goes through SM and when the ride is down, the lights are on, and you can get a view of what the coaster really looks like.

When we went in September 07, my dd was 3 1/2 (very tall for her age) and she rode it. She absolutely loved it! She ended up riding it a total of 2 times and loved it! My son rode it for the first time when he was 6 and that's his all time favorite ride.

I always loved roller coasters and will ride, and rode any that I can when we go to WDW. But this last trip, Dec 07, I went on Space Mtn, and I never remember it being so rough! I felt like I was being jerked all around. I can't imagine putting a child on it! I said to myself - "self - you never need to ride that one again!" LOL

Although, as a child, when you used to sit straddling the bench type thing in the middle, I rode it millions of times and LOVED it! LOL I never remember it being so rough and jolty. Did they alter it any in the past 20 years?

I also hate that they did away with all those cool scenes as you exited the ride. You know, the ones predicting what future life will be for humans??

So to answer your original question, I really do feel that it would depend on your kids, and if they like that sort of thing! LOL

I'm so glad to see this post because DH thought I was nuts when I mentioned the straddle thing from years ago!!! I also didn't remember it being so rough. And remember when y'all rode this as kids? It seemed pitch black, but as an adult, it is only slightly dark some of the time. I think that for a child, this is a crazy fast, dark, exciting roller coaster! But for an adult, it still has it's charm, but it's not nearly as exciting. Make sense?

My youngest is a tiny guy and he was a little nervous riding Space Mountain the first time. He sat in the car in front of me. He did great, I want to say he was around 4 or 5 the first time he rode it. We were worried he wasn't tall enough, luckily he was. It is a must do for our family.:wizard:

My DS5 is just so afraid of the "unknown". He lOVES Big Thunder Mountain. Its the fear of the dark.

My 4 year old loved it! Although, you can't really tell by her face in the picture but she talks about it still.

...but even my daughter, the coaster chicken, loves Space Mountain. While it is dark, it's not too intense - but it is a lot of fun.

Every child is different.

My son and daughter (8 and 9) are not terribly brave kids when it comes to thrill rides. They love Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Barnstomer. But trip after trip to Disney, we've passed up Space Mountain (and Tower of Terror, which they didn't ride this time). We rode SM just this fall for the first time. We've given them the option before, but this was the first year they took us up on it.

My son, the nine year old, rode it and had a great time. We rode it a second time. My daughter was thrown severely by the "can't sit next to Mommy" (six months later she is still talking about "couldn't sit next to Mom" and that beng particularly scary) and not being able to see where she was going - it isn't pitch black - but its dark. She got off crying. Later in the day she said it was really fun and one of her favorite rides, but wouldn't get back on for a second ride.

Space mountain is really fun but is dark so it makes unexpected twists and turns because you can't see in front of you. If this factor makes you or your child frightened I would not suggest riding. The trains for SM are single seated, but you sit right behind each other; you can still reach the person behind or in front of you. I do not know where the mother you read about was, but there is a lap bar that comes down firm on your lap and there are plenty of places to hold on to. It is not frightening if you realize it is dark, that you are strapped in and that it may be a little loud.:scared:

We rode the TTA in December and I pointed out when we were in SM to my DD7. She wants to try it. I explained the seating to her and the darkness. I cannot remember the drops b/c after riding EE and RNR, SM seems very tame to me. She doesn't like the drop on Splash Mountain. How do the drops on SM compare to that.

She will be almost 8 on our next trip. She rode Barnstormer at age 4 and didn't like it. I may take the advice given here and get her back on Barnstormer and Thunder Mountain before trying SM.

honestly, Ive never been on it cuz i really hated fast rollercoasters as a kid :confused3 . I think you should go on it and leave your child in child swap and tell the kid how scary it is. if they say they dont care if its that scary, then let them go! (if disney says shes tall enough, just trust them, Its disney!) If they say 'ok if its that scary, then ill pass, just let them. :rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

It is DARK
It is LOUD
People SCREAM
It is FAST

If you children do not generally like these things, they will not like Space Mountain. My kids 8 n 4 did not like Barn Stormer and we couldnt get them near SM.

I love it, but I didnt ride till 12. DO NOT force your child to ride, you may scar them and instill fear in alot of rides after that. Let them discover their bravery in their own time.

Last time at AK I witnessed a dumb a&& Dad force is 8 year oldish son on Everest. He kept saying be a man, be brave....the poor kid cried in terror the whole time, and had to be calmed down after ward.

What do you think he will remember from that magical vacation????

This was a favourite of mine as a child and I love the fact my boys can now ride it with me! I 1st went on when i was around 6 and after that i even rode on my own as my parents didnt do any fast style rides If I wanted to ride it was always alone. so I knew what the ride was like before my boys went on

I have 3 boys
they are aged now 7,7,9 when we went 4 years ago they oldest was tall enough to ride so we took him on and he LOVED it we had to do it over and over,When we went bk the next time the Twins was desperate to ride I was a little worried as they are only tiny well they was tall enough to ride so we took them on at the time they had only just turned 5, After the ride they begged to do it again saying it was their favourite ride so we did it another 4/5 times that day.It can feel slightly rough but that didnt bother the boys in the slightest Just to add at this point none of the boys had done TOT as they was too scared everytime it came to getting in the lift" they did TOT in the end though" they had been on BTM & Splash mountain.they do love rides and last wk even went on a coaster that went up side down so i think they are quite daring now (wasnt always)
The gutting thing was.....
The next day we went they wore sandals we went through the whole que after being measured at the start and when we got to where it was time to ride 1 twin was too small:confused3 They are identical but 1 twin has a high crown im guessing due to forceps and the suction cup at birth:confused: anyways they would not let the other twin ride so we decided no one would ride and we would go bk another day " which we did and they rode a few more times"
I wouldnt say that the ride was actually that dark there is alot of flashing lights plus the rockets have reflect strips on them so you can see the other rockets on the track wizz past,You can actually also see the track so it is NOT pitch black! Only you know your child but the restraints are very safe they hold you in and you cant move as the t-bar is pushed right againt you up to just above your waist and is pretty thick.Its just not an over head one as it doesnt go upside down...

Is it scarier than the Superman ride of steel at Darien Lake? Both my boys went on that ride a thousand times, sat up front and everything, as I watched (clutching my chest) from the ground.
Yup, I'm a chicken....LOL

Hahaha! Hello neighbor, its nothing compared to superman! And you should try superman just once, I was afraid for many yrs and finally went on it and LOVED it, now I can't get enough of it! And its so smooth!

It's the single rider seating, and the T bar that makes me nervous about little kids on this ride. I rode SM for the first time when my DD was 6, and I was terrified that she would be catapulted out of her seat with just that T bar in front of her :scared1: At the time, I had no clue what we were in for, and I was not prepared for such a bumpy, dark ride. She was fine, but I was a wreck! It can be scary when you cannot sit beside you child, like on BTMR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter