How Safe is the In Room Safe???

BunnyV

Earning My Ears
Just wondering how "safe" the safe is.
Can we bring cash (not a lot but enough I would be sad to lose) and just put it in there till our ports?
I don't really care for travelers checks and not everyone take them.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks in advance
Bunny

You use your KTTW card to lock the safe and it can only be opened by using the exact same card that locked it......as I recall!

You can use any type of card that look like a credit card with the strip on the back is my understanding. I started out using my KTTW and it stopped working when it touched the back of my sons KTTW and I couldn't even get my money out. LOL
But I called the front desk and someone was there in less than 5 minutes to open it up with the master card. From then on I used my Western Union Card. I left cash and my purse in the safe the entire trip.

I do feel safe using the in rooms safes.

I left my jewelry, wallet, etc in safe. I felt it very secure. However, one thing I would purchase for the adult and teen members of family would be a waterproof money/credit card holder that you can wear around your neck. This is really important if you are taking a beach excursion. You don't want to leave anything valuable on the beach. It can hold cash and cards.

Don't have the exact size, but from what I could recall it's the same size as the typical in-room safe at most hotels. My guess it's about 8"x10"x10" interior.:rolleyes:

It's about the size of a small toaster oven. The first card you use to lock or unlock is the one that must be used to access it again if I remember correctly. We kept cash and extra credit cards and airplane tickets in it. We left cameras, cash, watches and other valueables in our room and never had a problem on our last two sailings.

And that was right out in the open....not in the safe.

Be sure to keep a little money out of the safe. We had all the cash in the safe, and I went back to the room to order room service, forgetting that the safe was locked with my husband's card. When I realized it I was trying to think of a way to gently let the delivery person know I couldn't tip him, when my husband came back to the room just before the food arrived. Saved me there, but from then on I left a few singles in a drawer just in case!

What my sister and I did was lock the safe with my AAA card, which has a magnetic strip. (That's all you need.) Then we hid the AAA card in the room, in a drawer under some clothes. Then, if I was in the room and didn't have Jen's KTTW card, I could still get in the safe. And so could she. And we didn't have to worry about someone finding a credit card loose in the room and taking it. Of course, someone might find the AAA, assume it was used to lock the safe, then open the safe, but that's a bit paranoid...
Anyway, we fit our wallets and some jewelry in the safe just fine. I'd say it's regular hotel-size.

Great Idea.

Another suggestion: We always hide Both copies of one credit card somewhere as well. The safe would do once in the room.

The idea is if, god forbid, we are both in the situation where we have all purses and wallets stolen/lost we still have this one.

Make sure it is a major one (visa/mc) and Make sure if you call to cancel any cards you don't cancel this one.

I have never had any problems with room safes anywhere.

We've always left cash in our safe and never had any negative experiences with it. It's as safe as a safe! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter