How quickly do FPs run out?

Pdollar88

DIS Veteran
I'm fairly comfortable navigating the WDW FP+ system. Now that I've been using that system and it's been 6 years since I've used paper FPs, I've almost forgotten how it works on the ground.

I'll be utilizing Maxpass -- how early are FPs gone for major attractions, like Guardians of the Galaxy or Radiator Springs? Is there a site that compiles such data on FP availability?

RSR is generally the first one to run out. Depending on how busy it is, that could happen as early as 11:00 am, or as late as 2:30. On a moderately busy day, DCA can run completely out of FPs for everything except Goofy and GRR by evening. At DL, Space runs out quickly (though not as quickly as RSR), and Indy can run out early, as well.

Keep an eye on the app before you go - you can get a good idea of how long things last.

RSR is generally the first one to run out. Depending on how busy it is, that could happen as early as 11:00 am, or as late as 2:30. On a moderately busy day, DCA can run completely out of FPs for everything except Goofy and GRR by evening. At DL, Space runs out quickly (though not as quickly as RSR), and Indy can run out early, as well.

Keep an eye on the app before you go - you can get a good idea of how long things last.
That's very helpful, thank you for the information! I haven't purchased my tickets (or AP) yet, so I can't currently check the FP with Maxpass option on the app. I'll keep checking once I've purchased my chosen ticket.

That's very helpful, thank you for the information! I haven't purchased my tickets (or AP) yet, so I can't currently check the FP with Maxpass option on the app. I'll keep checking once I've purchased my chosen ticket.
You can check FP return times without having a ticket. Not the MP but it’ll give you an idea of when they run out.

Can you explain how to do this? I have the app, but I don't have tickets purchased/linked yet, so I don't see where I can view what FPs are available.
You just check it in the wait time map/list. Once you tap on the attraction you’re wanting to check, the FP return times will come up.

I'm fairly comfortable navigating the WDW FP+ system. Now that I've been using that system and it's been 6 years since I've used paper FPs, I've almost forgotten how it works on the ground.

I'll be utilizing Maxpass -- how early are FPs gone for major attractions, like Guardians of the Galaxy or Radiator Springs? Is there a site that compiles such data on FP availability?
Hi, when will you be at Disneyland?

I've been compiling data on FP return times since May, when I first made a post about it: https://www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-availability-throughout-the-day.3683766/

Of course, that's a little outdated at this point, but it still gives you an idea of the FP flow. Recently, the DCA FPs are running out sooner in general, and the Haunted Mansion Holiday is very popular, so that one goes fast, and GOTG goes pretty slowly until the Monsters After Dark FPs with a 5:00 or later return time pop up, and then they fly... The last few times I've been at DCA, most FPs besides Grizzly and Goofy's are gone by around 5:00pm.

My daughter is in half-day K now, so we arrive to the parks around noon usually one weekday a week, and at that point RSR is often either gone or booking for later than we'll be there (8:00 or so).

Hi, when will you be at Disneyland?

I've been compiling data on FP return times since May, when I first made a post about it: https://www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-availability-throughout-the-day.3683766/

Of course, that's a little outdated at this point, but it still gives you an idea of the FP flow. Recently, the DCA FPs are running out sooner in general, and the Haunted Mansion Holiday is very popular, so that one goes fast, and GOTG goes pretty slowly until the Monsters After Dark FPs with a 5:00 or later return time pop up, and then they fly... The last few times I've been at DCA, most FPs besides Grizzly and Goofy's are gone by around 5:00pm.

My daughter is in half-day K now, so we arrive to the parks around noon usually one weekday a week, and at that point RSR is often either gone or booking for later than we'll be there (8:00 or so).
I'm pretty far off from my trip, but I'm trying to get some DL education in small chunks leading up to my trip.

I'm currently planning on visiting DL in Sept. 2019. I asked about FPs because of my arrival day, specifically, when I likely won't arrive in a park until 11:30-12:30. I'll also be there for ~6 days, so I don't need to be in a huge rush to accomplish everything.

Thank you so much for compiling all of that info, and for sharing! I appreciate your post.

.........well....you can relax. though planning and researching is fantastic....what you learn here today will not be applicable for post SWGE 2019.....come back in June 2019 and start taking notes on how fastpass distribution hours are working out for the day . All intuitive guessing indicators suggest that you will not be able to gather fastpass on your first 2019 day at Disneyland....so you can relax about that day. The good news is that you will be there for six days and you can plan your morning to noon fastpass gathering and then spend the rest of the day taking in the texture of Disneyland.

.........well....you can relax. though planning and researching is fantastic....what you learn here today will not be applicable for post SWGE 2019.....come back in June 2019 and start taking notes on how fastpass distribution hours are working out for the day . All intuitive guessing indicators suggest that you will not be able to gather fastpass on your first 2019 day at Disneyland....so you can relax about that day. The good news is that you will be there for six days and you can plan your morning to noon fastpass gathering and then spend the rest of the day taking in the texture of Disneyland.
LOL I figured I would need to scrap a lot of what I learn when SWGE opens. But yes, I definitely chose such a long trip so I could take it easy and soak in DL. Who knows when I’ll be back.

Don't forget about Single Rider lines! For your arrival day, assuming that the rides you want are up and running, you could easily do SR if there are no more FPs available. Even if you get a FP, you could still do SR to get more rides in! Not every headliner has one, but RSR and Space have great SR lines.

Don't forget about Single Rider lines! For your arrival day, assuming that the rides you want are up and running, you could easily do SR if there are no more FPs available. Even if you get a FP, you could still do SR to get more rides in! Not every headliner has one, but RSR and Space have great SR lines.
I had no idea! That is very exciting, especially about Space! I always wish WDW's version had a single rider line, so go DL! :)

One thing to consider is that when people cancel their maxpass, their maxpass time becomes available again on the app. We were at the park on Monday and haunted mansion maxpasses were gone in the afternoon. By constantly checking the app, we were able to snag 3 for a 630 time. We were able to get soarin, small world and toy story using this same method. The only thing is that you will need to choose them very quickly otherwise someone else could claim them and they will show unavailable again. We lost star tours maxpasses because I wasn't fast enough in claiming them. It's more luck than anything, but hopefully it might work for you! Good luck!

One thing to consider is that when people cancel their maxpass, their maxpass time becomes available again on the app. We were at the park on Monday and haunted mansion maxpasses were gone in the afternoon. By constantly checking the app, we were able to snag 3 for a 630 time. We were able to get soarin, small world and toy story using this same method. The only thing is that you will need to choose them very quickly otherwise someone else could claim them and they will show unavailable again. We lost star tours maxpasses because I wasn't fast enough in claiming them. It's more luck than anything, but hopefully it might work for you! Good luck!

We did this last night after arriving around 6pm at the parks. We got Midway Mania, RSR, Space Mountain & Haunted Mansion FPs before the night was done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!