How old were your kids the first time they went to Disney?

How old were your kids the first time they went to Disney?

• under 1 year old

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • 1-2 years old

Votes: 58 47.2%
  • 3-4 years old

Votes: 34 27.6%
  • 5-9 years old

Votes: 34 27.6%
  • 10+ years old

Votes: 7 5.7%

• Total voters
ODS was 2 for his first trip and I was pregnant with YDS. It's where DH and I wanted to travel, so we went. The age where they really started to appreciate it the most/remember was about 6 and 9 but every trip was awesome! I love seeing the photos of them through the years, growing up at Disney.

My daughter was nine months, and my son was just under 3. It was actually a pretty laid back trip somehow. They love looking at pictures of the trip, and my son remembers bits and pieces. We've been back once since; they were 3 and 5. My daughter was so enamored by the princesses! It was adorable!

Kids were 2-1/2 and 7 on our first visit. Had plans to keep 2-1/2 at home but they fell through and I'm glad they did. We discovered that 2-1/2 was not too young after all.

My initial thought was that they needed to be at a size to ride most of the attractions. Magic Kingdom has a lot of attractions for smaller ones but we had to do rider switch quite often. Nice that the older child could ride the attractions with each parent when using rider switch.

Last edited:
My older son was 8 months and my younger son was 3 months. It's been 3 years since my first trip as a mom and we've gone 6 times since and will go again this summer at ages 2 and 4. I've loved every trip!

He was 18 months on the first trip. He loved everything about Disney- even the buses were an adventure to him. A lot of people said that this trip was more for us than for him...but I was surprised by how much he remembered from it. Such amazing memories! We took him again a year later. Now we are hoping to go next year to celebrate his 5th birthday.

2.5 and 4 so I picked 3-4. They went twice at those ages with us. They went with their mother when the kids were 3 and 5 and now at the same age we're taking them for a long Universal trip, in just a month!

My son was 6 months his first time, and we went again right before he turned 3 for his last "free" trip. now we're going again in 17 days and he will be almost 3 1/2. My sister and niece will be going too, and she just turned 1. Every trip has been fun for different reasons. I'm excited to see if my son remembers being there since it's only been about 8 months since our last trip :)

The first time we took my kids to MK they were just under 3 and 11 months. We were staying at a condo on the beach and drove in for the day. We have now did this at least 4 times with them but the first time we took them for a week and stayed on property they were 9 and 7. We did this partially because we didn't want to have to deal with naps, partially because we wanted them to be able to ride everything, partially because we wanted them to be able to make it all day and week in the parks and partially because it is just how it worked out financially. They have enjoyed Disney each time they have gone...even when they were too small to do the big rides.

Somewhere between the ages of 9 and 11 I took my youngest son to Disney Paris for what was then a day trip. His older brother was on an Outward Bound trip at the time and still witches and moans about how he never went to Disney as a child; poor deprived him.

The things 40 y/o men-children still whine about sort of makes me giggle.

People tell me it’s a waste to take a baby because they won’t remember, but I disagree completely.

I think the experience of being 24/7 with your parents at a magical place will stick somewhere, even if it’s not a proper memory.

Also, for us experiencing Disney through the eyes of a baby was an unbelievable experience we never had before.

People tell me it’s a waste to take a baby because they won’t remember, but I disagree completely.

I think the experience of being 24/7 with your parents at a magical place will stick somewhere, even if it’s not a proper memory.

Also, for us experiencing Disney through the eyes of a baby was an unbelievable experience we never had before.
My kids don't remember their trips as babies...but I do! And I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. If you're taking a once in a lifetime trip then I certainly would wait til the kids are older. But for those who go more than once, there is something to be said for the experience at every age.

She was six years old. She doesn't remember that trip at all. We returned when she was eight, and she has wonderful memories of that vacation.

Older son was two weeks before his second birthday. The trip was so good we went back 6 months later. He didn't remember much of it, but I have many memories from that trip burned into my brain. Younger son was 1.5. Absolutely believe we did the right ages, somewhere between 1.5 and 2. How they interacted with the characters at that age was unforgettable.

My oldest daughter's first trip was when she was 5. :)
My oldest son's first trip was when he was 3 :sunny:
The twins first trip was at 6 months. :scared:

I think 6 months is a tad young but if you have older kids going as well, which we did, it certainly not a waste... we just had to take turns riding rides with the older kids. I think age 2 is the sweet spot for Disney. Obviously you can't do everything at that age but you can certainly get a tremendous amount out of it. I wouldn't call our trips to Disney when the kids were between 2-3 our best trips but i do think some of those moments at Disney when our kids were ages of 2-3 were some of our best moments, if that makes sense!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter