How old is too old for a stroller for WDW?

I'd put myself in a stroller if someone would push it. :)
As long as someone is willing to push, I don't any particular age = no more stroller. Every child, every parent is different. As long as everyone has fun. And a less tired child is valuable at Disney.

First trip for my son was when he was four and a half, and we debated it for a few days prior before we went with no stroller. He's an energetic kid, always running around, and he did just fine. When he needed a little break, we found seats or someplace to rest for a bit, but otherwise we were a rope drop to fireworks family. He never complained once, and his feet were fine. We are the type that walks a lot everywhere anyway. I was glad not to have to lug the stroller around. I couldn't imagine pushing him in a stroller when he's 7 or older. I haven't busted out the stroller since he turned 5.

My kids are 'old' now (14 and 18). Our youngest, we let have a stroller through the trip she turned 6yrs. She wasn't using one at home, but needed it at Disney--mostly for Epcot. We were also staying at Boardwalk and walked to Epcot and Hollywood Studios--walking TO and around the parks would just be too much for her little legs at that time, The following trip, she was 6 yrs 7 mths, we went strollerless and she was fine with it! I will say that I missed having the basket storage and the cup holder though...lol...but I don't miss trying to find the stroller after it had been moved around by the stroller handlers at the rides!

Since you have a younger one as well...and the older one currently complains about walking...I'd probably use 2 single strollers--but cheaper travel ones. I completely understand wanting a stroller for your 6yr old at Disney. There is so much walking and stimulation in the parks--anything you can do to help prevent meltdowns is a must!

My kids are 4 yrs apart and we just used the one stroller...really could have used 2 our first trip though as it was too much for the 5yr old! Throughout the years, my older one would rest in the younger's stroller whenever she was out of it--and her stroller was a godsend when my then 9yr old got sick in France at Epcot and couldn't walk to the exit...and it really wasn't fun trying to get the 4 1/2 yr old to the exit without a stroller...she'd walk 20 feet...then I'd carry her 20 feet...all the way out of the park.

Do what's right for you and don't listen to comments from anyone else. I can still clearly recall one year when my sister was "too old" for the stroller, so my parents didn't take one for her. We had a younger sibling than her as well, and they had a stroller for that sibling, and they just didn't want to have two. Well she was miserable and she made the rest of us miserable, too. And *decades* later, when I think of that trip my first thought is my sister and how absolutely awful it was having her there without a stroller. When you're a kid, you can't control what you remember from day or event and unfortunately, it's the memories of her begging to be held, of her lagging far behind, whining, crying, trying to crawl into the baby's stroller, making the rest of us wait and wait and wait, feeling embarrassed about people watching her act up, etc. that I remember.

So if now, if I see someone out with their "older" child in a stroller, all I think is that they are smart parents. :) I absolutely believe we all would have had a lovely trip if my parents had given in and done the same.

If a kiddo can fit in the stroller, than I say go for it! My large 7 year old was really slowing down the group at one point on our trip, so we rented a stroller at the park and I’m so glad we did! Made the trip more enjoyable for all.

Every child is unique. Some are energetic, some like to walk, some don't. Last time we carried a double for my 2, 4 and 6 year old kids. It was really helpful and my 6 year old girl took some naps there as her siblings. She doesn't need a stroller at home, but walking 7 days from sunrise to sunset, for a 6 year old is like a marathon. Happy child, happy trip:love:

I saw a set of physically able 7 y/o twins being wheeled around the parks last week. I know their age because they were wearing personalised Disney birthday buttons.
Looked odd to my eyes but as long as their parents didn't mind pushing that load and were careful not to run over anyone's feet/heels didn't affect my life as more than a source of amusement.

We’ve gotten a double stroller every time, latest at DL my kids were 8, 5.5 and 3.5. The oldest walked the whole time but did sit in the stroller when it was in place (like waiting for a parade) if she was tired. Middle kid walked most of the time but was happy to sit for the longer treks to/from park etc.

We always rent a Citimini double and it’s the best - easy to push, comfortable for two bigger kids, big basket underneath. My family lives in a big city and we walk everywhere so my kids are good walkers and are used to lots of walking - at least 2 miles every day just to/from school, but Disney is a whole different place. My oldest had just gotten a Fitbit when we went before and she was amazed at the number of steps!

We will be going at Christmas and will again get a double, even though middle kid will be 6.5. She’s small but tough, but I think with holiday crowds sometimes it will be helpful to have the ability to put 2 kids in the stroller.

My son was five when he stopped using the stroller, but we do a large mid-day break. I agree with the others that a double stroller or a sit and stand would be a great idea!

We brought two cheap umbrella strollers when the kids were 3 and 6. They were light and easy to fold when getting on the bus. Plus we could separate easily which we often did. It worked great!

Thanks .. I think we will go the two stroller route! Appreciate the feedback.

As much as I would not like to add to having more strollers in the parks, I think it is probably a good call for a happier trip.
For me .. the main thing is the "speed" factor of getting from point A to point B. The walk from the car/bus and to the first rides are long (and you want to be moving quick at rope drop). After one day, if the boy doesn't seem to use it much .. we just leave it behind.

Now I just have to survive the passive aggressive looks and comments from my mother: "When WE took you to Disney World WE just had a small stroller for your sister and you survived!" LOL (I think I was 8 or 9 a the time .. but she won't remember that detail).

What we did for our last trip with kids of similar ages. Got a jogging type stroller and let our oldest one sit on the front wheel area when we wanted to get somewhere faster. It worked great and she occasionally sat in the actual seat of her brother wanted to walk.

I would for sure. My oldest is 5 and by the time we get back she'll be 6. She's pretty good for walks but you have to think about the vacation as a whole. Are you spending 10+ hours at the park? Are you doing multiple days in a row? Can your kid handle not 1 but 2 full days (if you're doing full days) in a row?

I have a double umbrella stroller thats super easy to travel with and that's what I'll be using.

My problem is next time I go I will have a 6 yo, 4 yo and a 1 yo. :scared::scared::scared::scared:

Now I just have to survive the passive aggressive looks and comments from my mother: "When WE took you to Disney World WE just had a small stroller for your sister and you survived!" LOL (I think I was 8 or 9 a the time .. but she won't remember that detail).

Practice any one of these answers, while keeping a pleasant smile on your face:

"That's nice, Mom."
"We're happy using them, thanks."
"Isn't it something how everyone likes to do things differently?"

;) Good luck! :D

There's needing a stroller in real life, and needing a stroller at WDW. And they are two different things. My kids used a stroller at WDW through the trip when they were 7. Now at home, we had given the stroller up years before that, but knew we still needed it for Disney. So much walking. We had the lightweight umbrella type but not the cheapie ones. It had a cover for shade and cup holders, etc...

There's needing a stroller in real life, and needing a stroller at WDW. And they are two different things. My kids used a stroller at WDW through the trip when they were 7. Now at home, we had given the stroller up years before that, but knew we still needed it for Disney. So much walking. We had the lightweight umbrella type but not the cheapie ones. It had a cover for shade and cup holders, etc...

Yep, I agree with this. We did the same.

While it's always a wonderful thing to get exercise with your kids (and for yourself), taking a family walk at home really doesn't do anything for "preparation" for WDW, IMO. They're apples and oranges. Going for a 2 mile walk at home takes maybe 30 minutes or less. Walking 8 miles over the course of an 8 hour day and standing much of the rest of the time isn't vaguely similar. IMO, any benefit from a daily family walk a few weeks before is largely a placebo effect. DW and I are in outstanding physical condition, but we still get tired after doing WDW for a few days.

Yep, I agree with this. We did the same.

While it's always a wonderful thing to get exercise with your kids (and for yourself), taking a family walk at home really doesn't do anything for "preparation" for WDW, IMO. They're apples and oranges. Going for a 2 mile walk at home takes maybe 30 minutes or less. Walking 8 miles over the course of an 8 hour day and standing much of the rest of the time isn't vaguely similar. IMO, any benefit from a daily family walk a few weeks before is largely a placebo effect. DW and I are in outstanding physical condition, but we still get tired after doing WDW for a few days.
At a kid’s pace, our 3 mile walks took over an hour. And also, endurance is a thing, and kids can build it, too.

With that said, every kid is different and results may vary, but there are at least two of us on this thread who had similar positive results without a stroller at 5, so it is possible. But the question was “how old is too old” and for us, the answer to try around 5. Thankfully, you can rent a stroller if it ends up not working out.

It’s not for everyone. It involves a slower pace (which we prefer anyway) and lots of breaks (fine by us).

Last edited:
My daughter can swim all day and then have enough energy to race around the house at dinner time. I still will bring a stroller for her if we go next year at the age of 6.

With all the crowds (and having 2 other kids), I want to keep her in the stroller for some of the busier parts of the day. Also, a few years ago when we went down and she was 2.5 and her brother was 8 months we only brought a single stroller and she walked most of the time. I had to carry her the rest.

Nope. One of the kids will be the odd person out on our double stroller so if I can carry the lightest kid during those times, I'm good.

At a kid’s pace, our 3 mile walks took over an hour. And also, endurance is a thing, and kids can build it, too.

With that said, every kid is different and results may vary, but there are at least two of us on this thread who had similar positive results without a stroller at 5, so it is possible. But the question was “how old is too old” and for us, the answer to try around 5. Thankfully, you can rent a stroller if it ends up not working out.

It’s not for everyone. It involves a slower pace (which we prefer anyway) and lots of breaks (fine by us).

That's cool if it worked for you. But my opinion is that a one hour walk has very little effect on being able to spend days walking around WDW, they're very different. I think any benefit they feel from doing a walk at home is more perception than reality. And I'm not knocking perception...that can be a very strong thing. I have a hobby that requires quite a bit of endurance and some of getting through it is mental perception.

And I totally agree that you can do without a stroller at 5 if you want to. That's just a personal choice...we didn't make that choice, but it doesn't mean we're right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!