How old is this board?

Granny

Yeah, I'm a guy
Does anybody know how old this board is?

I'm seeing some folks have posted thousands of responses, and I'm just wondering how long after DVC started that this board came about.

Any original members (or anyone else) that can help on this?

The DVC Board was one of the early DIS boards. It was originally hosted by Pete himself. I think it started in late '97 or early '98.

Scott Wattum became DVC Board Moderator in Dec. '98 and I joined him in May, '99. Scott left in Dec '00 and Robin and Carol joined me in Jan, '01 followed by Regina this summer.

There have been several board "migrations" whicj have affected post count totals. I know of several posters who have lost well over 1000 posts in the past 2 years. The most recent server/software change was this past spring.

That, in a nutshell, is a brief DIS/DVC history. There are many regular posters who have been here since the beginning....and many more who join us daily!

Enjoy!

I have been on these boards since summer of '97. I think that was about the time Pete started his website. At first there was just a DVC board, a general information board and an area for recipes which Pete said he used when at OKW. Pete was still living in New Jersey at the time. I still remember his excitement about moving to Florida. Checking in here is still part of my daily routine.

I had no idea how long we have been here. I thought that this board was here before the internet actually started......

I was on this board for over a year before I moved to Florida, I will be here for four years in November. I think that definitely pushes the origin back into '97.

Thank you all for your responses. Sounds like the board is at least four years old, which is a long time in internet terms!

According to Pete, the DIS began as a single Board in June, 1997.

The DVC Board was added a few months later. The rest is DIStory!

I had no idea how long we have been here. I thought that this board was here before the internet actually started......

It only feels that way Rich!:D :D :D

And Granny, many of us have lost 1000's of post counts when we've had start over with a new host server.

I'm glad that you found us and that you're enjoying the information that you find.

I remember when Pete asked board members if they would mind him adding banners? I hope I'm not confused. Anyone else remember that?

Well you wouldn't know it from my post count, but I rememberr it being just one board and people being told to stay on topic.

I also remember Pete running the board from his living room in New Jersey and selling cups and t-shirts to help fund the cost of the site.

I joined in around Feb 98. It has been part of my routine as well, although I don't post that often. The t-shirt and cup thing was one of my arguments with my husband! I wanted to buy one and he thought I was crazy. I had forgotten that one.. how times change!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter