How often does Disney discount tickets?

EmJ

DIS Veteran
Sorry, I’m full of questions today. I see that Disney is offering discounted tickets right now for use by May 23, obviously to try and keep attendance up before SWGE opens.

How often does Disney offer discounts like this? I’m considering whether to buy 5-day tickets with MP now for our trip next March, out of fear that ticket or MP prices are going to rise this summer in response to SWGE crowds. What do you think?

With SWGE opening I wouldn't rely on the possibility of tickets getting a discount next year. If they do offer a discount it won't be very steep or may be just a socal resident discount.

Ticket prices will increase sometime before your trip next March. If you know you'll be taking a trip before the tickets expire then I don't see a reason to wait to buy them.

Reactions: EmJ
With SWGE opening I wouldn't rely on the possibility of tickets getting a discount next year. If they do offer a discount it won't be very steep or may be just a socal resident discount.

Ticket prices will increase sometime before your trip next March. If you know you'll be taking a trip before the tickets expire then I don't see a reason to wait to buy them.
Roger that!

One other question. I want to get 5-day tickets, but the first day will be a half day to just look around. We probably won’t ride anything and don’t need MP. If I buy 5-day tickets though the app, can I add MP to *only* days 2-5 before we get to the parks? (I’m overwhelmed already and don’t want to have to figure out adding MP in the parks, while I’m simultaneously figuring out which way to walk.)

If not I’m going to just get MP for all 5 days and consider it a “convenience” tax.

Ticket prices will undoubtedly rise, so buying ahead is a good plan, as long as the tickets don't expire before your trip. If they expire before your trip, then you have to pay the price difference.

They occasionally do discounts, but I can't imagine them doing it for the first year of Galaxy's Edge unless it's a total flop. And we know that's not going to happen :)

I feel confident in this year's discount being a bit multi-faceted. The winter had some impressively cold, rainy weather that significantly lowered crowds for a lot of the season, and they needed/wanted to make up some of the lost revenue. Additionally, "Project Stardust," the current park improvement campaign (lowering curbs, repainting the castle and rides, and some other maintenance) has impacted the parks substantially, and later in the season than common. And, of course, lots of people were putting off their trips in favor of Galaxy's Edge's opening. I think between those issues, they felt the discount prices would increase ticket sales at a time they anticipated a bit if a slump.

.... Sorry for such a long explanation for such a small question!

Roger that!

One other question. I want to get 5-day tickets, but the first day will be a half day to just look around. We probably won’t ride anything and don’t need MP. If I buy 5-day tickets though the app, can I add MP to *only* days 2-5 before we get to the parks? (I’m overwhelmed already and don’t want to have to figure out adding MP in the parks, while I’m simultaneously figuring out which way to walk.)

If not I’m going to just get MP for all 5 days and consider it a “convenience” tax.
Max Pass can be bought w/ the ticket for the length of the ticket, or bought separately day-by-day. At this point, we have no idea if they will raise the price of MP or when. So, again, if you buy *with* the ticket, you're saved from any possible increase.

Max Pass can be bought w/ the ticket for the length of the ticket, or bought separately day-by-day. At this point, we have no idea if they will raise the price of MP or when. So, again, if you buy *with* the ticket, you're saved from any possible increase.
Thanks! Can I buy separately day by day before I get there? I recall reading someone here say you can only add MP day by day after you’ve scanned in at the turnstiles.

In other words, could I buy 5-day tickets through the app today, and then immediately add MP to days 2, 3, 4, and 5?

Like others have said. Not very often. They always do the discounted Socal tickets from during the Winter and Spring months. Last summer they had discount tickets that passholders could purchase for friends and family. I have a feeling those were done because of a PR move or attendance was lower than they wanted so they needed to increase crowds fast. I highly doubt they will do that this year.

Thanks! Can I buy separately day by day before I get there? I recall reading someone here say you can only add MP day by day after you’ve scanned in at the turnstiles.

In other words, could I buy 5-day tickets through the app today, and then immediately add MP to days 2, 3, 4, and 5?

Unfortunately the only way to add just days 2-5 would be to buy day by day once you get into the parks. If you have your credit card info saved on the app it's not much more difficult to purchase maxpass than it is to actually book your first maxpass. Also if you arrive before rope drop you'll have enough time to walk to the ropes and buy and book maxpass before you're racing to your first ride.

As others have mentioned you may actually save money buy buying maxpass in advance and paying the "convenience" fee of your first day as they price could (and probably will) increase.

This is a discount only for Southern California residents, and they offer it every year between Jan and May. There is always a block out of 1-2 weeks surrounding Easter.

Will they offer it again next year? Probably. Even when they have something big going on, they keep offering this discount at the same time every year. It kind of drives me crazy. It's crowded enough without them offering it.

Unfortunately the only way to add just days 2-5 would be to buy day by day once you get into the parks. If you have your credit card info saved on the app it's not much more difficult to purchase maxpass than it is to actually book your first maxpass. Also if you arrive before rope drop you'll have enough time to walk to the ropes and buy and book maxpass before you're racing to your first ride.

As others have mentioned you may actually save money buy buying maxpass in advance and paying the "convenience" fee of your first day as they price could (and probably will) increase.
Perfect. This is exactly what I needed. I’m going to buy the 5-day with MP now and pay the convenience fee :)

Perfect. This is exactly what I needed. I’m going to buy the 5-day with MP now and pay the convenience fee :)
Even if your first park day is only a half day, keep checking the app for available FPs. Having MP will allow you to grab cancelled FPs for rides that might have already run out of FPs for the day! This is one of the great perks of MP. (If you can get a nighttime ride on RSR, go for it!) :)

Even if. your first park day is only a half day, keep checking the app for available FPs. Having MP will allow you to grab cancelled FPs for rides that might have already run out of FPs for the day! This is one of the great perks of MP. :)
Thanks! We may try to grab one just to “practice” MP, lol.

Mostly I want that half day for my 5-year-old to see the castle, ogle Main Street, and become somewhat acquainted with what the park looks like, so that on Day 2 when we are rushing his butt to Peter Pan first thing, he’s not sore because it’s all new and he wanted to see the Mickey statue or the castle. If we can hop on a MP or do something with a short wait (carousel maybe? or a show?), then that’s a bonus!

This is a discount only for Southern California residents, and they offer it every year between Jan and May. There is always a block out of 1-2 weeks surrounding Easter.

Will they offer it again next year? Probably. Even when they have something big going on, they keep offering this discount at the same time every year. It kind of drives me crazy. It's crowded enough without them offering it.

This years spring promo tickets were not just for Southern California residents but I think its unlikely they will be offered to the general public next year.

If you do buy MP with your tickets now you are also guarding against potential future price increases on MP. Hard to know if that will happen or not but I could see it happening...

Thanks! We may try to grab one just to “practice” MP, lol...
MP is one of those things that looks daunting on a page, but makes sense pretty quickly once you start using it. if you've done your research here, you'll get the hang of it fairly quickly. You can even play with it that day and throw the FPs back if you decide not to use them.
While you're doing your "Get to Know DL" day, make sure to make mental notes of the location of First Aid (just beyond the Little Red Wagon, off of Main Street) and any rest rooms you pass in each land. With a 5 yo, those things can come in handy!

This years spring promo tickets were not just for Southern California residents but I think its unlikely they will be offered to the general public next year.

If you do buy MP with your tickets now you are also guarding against potential future price increases on MP. Hard to know if that will happen or not but I could see it happening...

Oh, really? Wasn't aware they were GP discount fix. Thanks for correcting me!

This was the first year though that they offered a general ticket deal, which was definitely to counter act the on-slot of people once SWGE opens.

I don’t know if we will see the so cal ticket deal next year. If I remember correctly they didn’t offer it for a few years once cars land opened and only brought it back like 3 years ago.

I doubt they will offer any ticket discounts in the next 12 to 16 months. The pass holders and locals will come in droves to see the new land. If they were to do so it would most likely be announced sometime in mid to late January of next year. But I must say I was somewhat surprised to see a lot of availability at the Disneyland hotel and the California Grand this summer and into the fall. I guess many of the tourists are sitting the new Star Wars land out until all of the initial crazy crowds slow down.

Are there other ticket discounts people would recommend? Costco? AAA? I apologize if this info is available elsewhere.

Yup these tickets that the OP is talking about were open to the public. We bought ours through Undercover Tourist and saved more than Disney directly though it was very close once you added on MP at $15 per person per day rather than the deal being spoken about was still under the old price of $10 per day if bought directly through Disney.

It was a very good deal honestly but I assumed it was really to bump attendance prior to SW opening up. I assumed it was a more one-off discount rather than an expected normal thing plus TBH it helped out with some things (shows and attractions and walkways) that were closed for refurb..well at least it made us feel a tad better lol.

Are there other ticket discounts people would recommend? Costco? AAA? I apologize if this info is available elsewhere.
Check Mousesavers.com for legitimate deals. Also AAA, Costco, LMT Club (Google for a free membership code). Among those options, you should find something that works for your dates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter