How often do you talk to your family

I dread hearing my phone rings. No one calls me other than my mother and I can't get through to her that at 8 pm, I just got home from work, haven't eaten since 11 yet, and I'm not interested in my 2 hours before I go to bed listening for 2 hours of all the ailments of a bunch of elderly women that I don't know at her church.

Any more I just answer the phone, put it down, and pick it up about every half hour and she's still going on.

It's impossible to get off the phone with her without just flat out hanging up on her. Here is how she gets off the phone, "Well, Dancing with the Stars is on in 5 minutes, so I'm going to go. Did I tell you about......" and she goes on with that for 45 minutes. Phone calls of hers to either myself or my brother start out with, "I talked to your brother and just couldn't get off the phone with him. He just went on and on..." My (ex)wife timed a call one time. It was 45 minutes before I said a single word after answering.

Other than that, my brother is the only other family member and he doesn't have a phone.

At least weekly, my mum sometimes daily. I saw my sister 3 separate times this weekend and she lives less than 5 minutes from my house. I see my cousins a couple of times a year but they live in another city that I need to take a boat to get to. Probably talk to them a every month or so.

DID MY MOM PUT YOU UP TO THIS??? j/k

My Mom calls me 2-3x every day but I only call her back 1x because I have a life and don't have time to listen to her give me the play by play on Judge Judy. I've told her before that most 64 year old women do not call their 29* year old daughters 2-3x a day just to "check in" but she doesn't believe me. Other relatives I just email or txt because I hate talking on the phone. I am curious to find out how many times a day other parents feel the need to call their adult children, perhaps I'm the one with unrealistic expectation.

* this number is heavily exaggerated, I will never be older than this number.

I thought of this thread today because my Mom just died, suddenly. She had a heart attack. I'll never get to hear the play by play on Judge Judy again. I'm going to miss her driving me crazy with all those phone calls.

I call and talk to my mom and dad everyday...

When my grandmother was alive I called and talked to her everyday she was my buddy...

I talk to my DD who has a young family, at least once a week and we text during the week.

I text with our other DD's mother - every other week or so , to check on our other Grandsons who lives with her, the kids being with her is a good thing, and is a blessing and we are thankful for her having them and knowing that they are being taken care of... .. Which a lot of my friends think is strange and don't understand it... that we text back in forth about the kids and DD... We both put the kids first...its as simple as that...

I talk to my cousin and his wife often they are really wonderful people by phone and text...we try to get together every couple of years.

I text with one niece monthly, because I want her to know that I love her and her daughter and my other niece... their Dad is my brother.

My brother and his wife are mad about whatever... and I really don't know why they are mad... I have finally made peace with myself over this, just because they want to act this way doesn't mean I have to act like that.... So I text them, on their birthdays, anniversary, holidays, send cards.... I never get a response which I am okay with... I don't want something to happen and look back and wish that I would have done something differently... regret is not something I want to live with...

Last edited:
I thought of this thread today because my Mom just died, suddenly. She had a heart attack. I'll never get to hear the play by play on Judge Judy again. I'm going to miss her driving me crazy with all those phone calls.

So sorry for your loss...Sending you hugs and prayers...

:flower3: Such a sorrowful time - my sincere condolences.

My mother and DD live with me so I talk to them daily. My DS maybe once a week but my DH talks to him almost every day. My sister maybe once a month. We love each other but I realized after her visit yesterday that I she probably wouldn't be a friend if she weren't my sister. I have a cousin that I talk to every month or so. I keep up with most of the rest of the family through email or Facebook. I would rather talk to people on the phone but most would rather text and I don't like to have long conversations that way.

Talk to our 3 adult kids everyday....son, DIL and 2 grandchildren live with us so that is a no brainer! Daughter and husband live in the next town and she usually calls to check in on her way home from work. Other DD and granddaughter live in Oregon and we Facetime with them at least twice a day. Either we call or they call.

Talk to my mom a few times a week, talk to my 4 sisters at various times during each month. One sister and I take our mom to the movies each week so I talk to her at least every week.

MJ

Not that often, except right before we have a trip planned or if someone has something going on. We’re in different states, so only so see each other once or twice a year. My brother is oddly obsessed with the weather, however, so I already know to expect a text or call if there is a snowstorm/hurricane coming.

My husband calls his parents on birthdays and holidays and every couple of weeks in between.

So sorry for your loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter