How often are concierge upgrades available at port?

ethanwa

Disney Superfan
Title pretty much says it all.... are concierge upgrades really available at port often? Or is it like a 5% chance?

I'm not counting on one being available, but I would like to know how often they are. And if so, how early would I need to be at port to try for one?

Availability seems kind of random looking at a sample of upcoming cruises. Since there are only 32 concierge cabins on the classics and 41 on the newer ships, there aren’t many to start with. There’s one left for my August Northern Europe cruise - for the low price of $24k!

I was able to score one on my Fantasy cruise last week. Coming from a cat 5A with 2 adults I could upgrade to a concierge room for ~$2000 or to a 1 bedroom for ~$4500.

I was able to score one on my Fantasy cruise last week. Coming from a cat 5A with 2 adults I could upgrade to a concierge room for ~$2000 or to a 1 bedroom for ~$4500.

Did you have to ask for it or were you offered? How early were you there?

I would imagine the cost is based on the number of travelers being upgraded. So in your example, it's about $1,000 per adult into the Concierge room or $2,250 each into a 1-bedroom?

LAX

Sorry last question... what time is that usually?
The terminal opens at 10:30, but there is usually a long line by that time. You need to arrive much earlier to be in the front of that line or take the first few busses from MCO. Guests arriving on those do not go in by the same door. The busses that leave first from MCO arrive before the main door opens and guests get to enter the terminal first.

The terminal opens at 10:30, but there is usually a long line by that time. You need to arrive much earlier to be in the front of that line or take the first few busses from MCO. Guests arriving on those do not go in by the same door. The busses that leave first from MCO arrive before the main door opens and guests get to enter the terminal first.

Well I guess I’m out of luck there then. I’m a local in Florida so I wouldn’t be taking a bus there.

I thought Concierge rooms were highly discounted at port, but it’s sounding like they are not?

Well I guess I’m out of luck there then. I’m a local in Florida so I wouldn’t be taking a bus there.

I thought Concierge rooms were highly discounted at port, but it’s sounding like they are not?

Due to the severe penalties that DCL charges for late concierge changes, very few concierge port upgrades exist.

It is discounted, but the discount varies. The new cost is from a sheet based on the room you booked originally. We upgraded at the port in December for about 1/3 of the cost it would have cost us before hand. Concierge had been sold out, but then a group of six cabins backed out last second and we were able to score one. This has only happened to us once, and only when we were on the first bus out of MCO.

My experience is you are more likely to find an upgrade on the larger ships for longer sailings. Check the availability of these cabins on your cruise up until several days before your sailing. You can place your name on a list at the Supervisor desk even if Capt. Mickey says no upgrade to concierge available - in case of last minute changes. Always recommend being one of the first in line to check- also, they are possibly expensive but can be a significant value over the rate prior to sailing.

Not an upgrade, but we were just on the Dream 1/31/18-2/2/18 in a family veranda cabin for our first Platinum cruise. On the second day I went to the Future Cruise desk and asked about doing a back-2-back. She said nothing was available for the next 3-day cruise, but to check back tomorrow. When I checked back, she said,"One cabin has become available, but I don't know if you want it." It was 11002, a Concierge one-bedroom, with the huge balcony, about 15 by 20 feet. (The balcony is bigger than a standard veranda cabin! The four chairs seemed lost on that huge balcony.) Since that would be my birthday weekend, we decided to take it, for a little under $3600. Agent said that seemed like a low price, but I see that is a typical price for Jan and Sep. It was a beautiful room, and we enjoyed the experience! On turnaround, we got off the ship at 9:15 and were back on at 10:45am. We relaxed (alone) in the Cove Cafe until we got in our cabin at 11:30am. It's fun to be like the only ones on the ship at that time. We really enjoyed the two days at Castaway. The first was high 60's and the second was clear and high 70's. Just beautiful!

They discount nothing at port.
Not correct. IF (big "if") there is availability, you can change categories (upgrade) at the port. They have a chart showing the cost difference between the category you are currently booked in to the one you want to upgrade to. Typically, that number is lower than if you make the change prior to embarkation day.

One other comment. We had never even looked at Concierge before. When I now look at the photos on the DCL website of the Concierge one-bedroom, I would say they are not nearly as impressive as the real thing. The room seems much nicer in person, with many varied lighting options.

I would imagine the cost is based on the number of travelers being upgraded. So in your example, it's about $1,000 per adult into the Concierge room or $2,250 each into a 1-bedroom?

LAX

It is not based on the number of travellers.

The cost is based on the difference between the room category initially booked and the category you want to upgade to.
The upgrade cost would be the same regardless if you had 2 people or 4 people moving from a category 5B to a T , for example.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter