How much $$ would you give as wedding gift?

HeatherC

Alas...these people I live with ...
I know there have been other threads like this over the years and that a lot depends on what part of the country you live in.

That being said, my niece is getting married next weekend in Newport, RI. She is the first of mine and my brothers and sisters “kids” generation to get married and we are all very excited.

Family lives either in New England or NJ. Wedding is pretty fancy with about 300 guests.

I already know what we will give as a gift, but am curious what others might suggest?

Also...they had both an engagement party and bridal shower so their registry is pretty much complete at this point. With that in mind, I am asking about what one might give as a monetary gift.

It will be myself, dh, and three adult kids (still in school or college). My two daughters are also bridesmaids.

We are also very close to my niece in case that info affects things.

Just curious what others would gift?

Thanks!!

I know there have been other threads like this over the years and that a lot depends on what part of the country you live in.

That being said, my niece is getting married next weekend in Newport, RI. She is the first of mine and my brothers and sisters “kids” generation to get married and we are all very excited.

Family lives either in New England or NJ. Wedding is pretty fancy with about 300 guests.

I already know what we will give as a gift, but am curious what others might suggest?

Also...they had both an engagement party and bridal shower so their registry is pretty much complete at this point. With that in mind, I am asking about what one might give as a monetary gift.

It will be myself, dh, and three adult kids (still in school or college). My two daughters are also bridesmaids.

Thanks!!

How much to spend on a gift depends on how close you are to the couple getting married and your budget. In that situation I'd figure out exactly what I'd spend on a gift and give them that much.

Thanks!!
I would give my neice a gift with sentimental value, rather than money.

$500...$100 pp in your family. I might have said $150 pp if your daughters weren’t bridesmaids...I’m sure they/you have already shelled out a lot of money on associated responsibilities!

$500...$100 pp in your family. I might have said $150 pp if your daughters weren’t bridesmaids...I’m sure they/you have already shelled out a lot of money on associated responsibilities!
I took that into account also with my answer. I think I got $500 from aunts and uncles back in the day, families of 4.

Thanks!!
What you can comfortably afford, especially after expensive shower and engagement gifts.

I would have responded $750(If they did not have an engagement party) IF you can afford it, there are 5 of you, a niece who you are close to, Newport RI is the venue...Certainly if your budget does not allow, give what you can of course. needless to say, Newport venues are pricey! Our DS just got married this summer, so we are "pretty familiar" with wedding prices. Since you mentioned that your niece had an engagement party, in that case I would give $625($125 per person, 5 people) if your budget allows. I would personally would give a monetary gift as they undoubtedly received enough "gifts" from the shower or engagement party to begin their lives together.

I would have responded $750(If they did not have an engagement party) IF you can afford it, there are 5 of you, a niece who you are close to, Newport RI is the venue...Certainly if your budget does not allow, give what you can of course. needless to say, Newport venues are pricey! Our DS just got married this summer, so we are "pretty familiar" with wedding prices. Since you mentioned that your niece had an engagement party, in that case I would give $625($125 per person, 5 people) if your budget allows. I would personally would give a monetary gift as they undoubtedly received enough "gifts" from the shower or engagement party to begin their lives together.
Who cares how much the venue costs? The OP is a guest at a party. Guests have no say over the venue the bride selects. It is tacky to expect guests to pay their way for a bride's party. Or even that the guests should feel obligated to pay an admission fee to a wedding.

Give what is comfortable, whether that is $50 or $500. If you are going to subscribe to the ridiculous "cover your plate" recent mentality (I grew up in Bergen County so am familiar with the area) then make sure you deduct the cost of the shower gift, the cost of the engagement gift, the bridesmaid dress and any other expenses you have already "helped" the bride with.

Who cares how much the venue costs? The OP is a guest at a party. Guests have no say over the venue the bride selects. It is tacky to expect guests to pay their way for a bride's party. Or even that the guests should feel obligated to pay an admission fee to a wedding.

Give what is comfortable, whether that is $50 or $500. If you are going to subscribe to the ridiculous "cover your plate" recent mentality (I grew up in Bergen County so am familiar with the area) then make sure you deduct the cost of the shower gift, the cost of the engagement gift, the bridesmaid dress and any other expenses you have already "helped" the bride with.
Well, if you are going to deduct the cost of the shower and engagement gift, you should account for how much the shower and engagement party cost the couple.

Holy crap!! I should have invited all of you to my wedding.

Here, there’s no obligation to cover your plate or take into consideration how many people are on one invitation. $500 for a wedding gift is ridiculous.

Go with what you can afford and they should be happy for whatever they get.

Would they turn up their noses if you gave them a nice toaster and some silverware and a blender?

Thanks!!

I would give minimum $1,000 if 5 from your family are attending.

If she is a close niece then a little more would be nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!