How much "time off" is OK for kids at WDW?

cathyz

Mouseketeer
We've done WDW/USF from 3 - 8 days so far. Of course, it's never enough! This year we're considering a full 2 weeks. Problem - DS (10) would miss 6 full days & 3 half days of school. This is 4th grade. He's an OK student.

I've read, with interest, all the support on a previous post for taking kids out of school for WDW. However, I wonder if this support extends to a longer WDW vacation.

Thanks for your input!

I think that as long as he won't be frustrated by having to make up the work, do it ahead of time, or while on vacation, it should be OK. Go and have a great time. Family time is very important, and should take precidence. JMHO!

My twins are 13 years old and just finished 7th grade. I also have a DS who just finished kindergarten. This past May we took them all out of school for 6 full days for our WDW trip. I always send a letter to each of the middle school teachers about a month in advance and ask if they have any problems with it. I then send a reminder out requesting homework about 3 days before we leave. We've never had any teacher object to taking them out and we do it almost yearly. They have always been very cooperative and give the kids homework to work on during travel times and even my little one had a vacation journal to draw about his trip in. I think that you as the parent know your child best and you know if he or she can handle missing school for that long based on the type of student your child is. It has really never been a problem for us.

In our schools, that would be enough time for him to be held back a grade. I'd check with his teachers and principal. I was told by my son's fourth grade teachers that it's a pivotal year because they have to learn to be more organized and more independent. Much of his work could neither be given in advance nor made up. He had to miss a week for a death in the family and more time for a move courtesy of the military. I would have a hard time justifying anything more than 5 days for a vacation, and my son is an excellent student who has been invited to participate in extra enrichment programs in the past. If your educators are supportive, I'd say go for it.

I would check with the "rules" of your school. Each school or schol district might have different rules bout kids meaning school.

I am taking my kids out for a total of 11 days in December, right before Christmas/Winter break.

Our DD is starting Nursery School this year. We weren't sure if she was going to go, since she wasn't potty trained to last week. Anyway, we had no idea of her schedule(and I must say, I doubted she would be going, but again that child has surprised me) and with the way we palnned out trip, she is going to miss 4 days. We are going Wed-wed and her classes are M/W/F. our airline tickets are paid for, so it would cost a lot to change them.

I have to say that I am a bit nervous that at her age, she will fall out of the routine.

I guess it's a conern for parents with any age children.

Our DD is starting Nursery School this year. We weren't sure if she was going to go, since she wasn't potty trained to last week. Anyway, we had no idea of her schedule(and I must say, I doubted she would be going, but again that child has surprised me) and with the way we palnned out trip, she is going to miss 4 days. We are going Wed-wed and her classes are M/W/F. our airline tickets are paid for, so it would cost a lot to change them.

I have to say that I am a bit nervous that at her age, she will fall out of the routine.

I guess it's a concern for parents with any age children.

Each school district is different and each child is also different. My DH taught for 16 yrs, my mom for over 20 and I have been in and out of it (mostly out since I prefer business)....and here are my thoughts.

As a parent, I know what is best for my child. If I decide to take my child out of school for X amount of days that is my decision to make. While I can understand hesitation on the teacher's part, life is just too short. Work can be made up. Skills can be taught. If they fall behind be willing to hire a tutor. If they need extra help be willing to work with them. But, in the end, it is your decision.

When I look back on my childhood I remember the special times with family more than I remember my 4th grade year, etc. A lot of learning can go on during the trip. Let the teachers know you will be gone and work with them to ensure your child will succeed upon your return. Then take your trip and enjoy yourself.

Your family time is absolutely a priority, so please don't be offended by this comment. You characterized your child as an OK student. To me that doesn't indicate excelling but rather average, C, performance. Maybe I totally misunderstand. If, however, that is correct, I would not take my child out for that long. I would take a child who is making A's and B's out of school for more than a week, but if they were in any way struggling I certainly wouldn't. Perhaps by OK, though, you meant above average grades.

I wouldn't do it, and my kids are straight-A types. Kids go to school 180 days per year. That leaves 185 days -- surely you can work it out for another time of year -- especially since there really is no "off season" at Disney any more. Family time can occur anywhere -- you don't have to go to Florida to relax and do something special with your kids.

This may not be a popular opinion, but I believe it wholeheartedly.

I totally agree with dcedwards. My parents took me out of school for a week or longer each year to take a family trip when it was possible for us to go together, often with extended family (Grandma, Aunt, Cousin...) and the memories and bonding from that trip did more to develop me as a person than any day I've spent in school. That said, I always had to do my homework before we left on the trip and sometimes had to work a little harder to understand skills I missed. But I was, and remained, an honor student through graduation. And had the knowledge of a loving and supportive family and extended family standing behind me every step of the way.

Please check your schools attendance policies as others have said. Here that many unexcused days would mean failing that grade. In some states it would also start an investigation by CPS.

Growing up my parents took us out of school a few times for trips. My father passed away a month before I turned 12. I remember happy memories with him more than I remember what I would have done in class those few days. Not trying to be a downer, just to point out that you never know what will happen. My father got cancer and was given an 80% chance of survival. He died less than three years later. He was 36. You never know what will happen. Life is short. Enjoy it and enjoy your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter