How much more entitled can people get?

Lilsia

Registered
So, I work in a local cafe and we put out BOGO breakfast coupons. They are the standard coupons where the free item is of equal, lesser value. Well this couple comes in yesterday and order their 2 breakfast items. The free one was $2 cheaper then the paid for one. These people then started to demand more free items to make up for the $2 difference in their paid for item and their free item. They claimed that the second item was cheaper that they were not getting the "value" out of the coupon!??? IT'S FREE!

Ridiculous. I have my own complaint about a fine dining experience we had on Saturday night. We took our daughter out in her college town to celebrate her 20th birthday. We carefully researched the best restaurant in town. And, we found a VERY good one (not cheap, of course). The kind of place where people dress up a bit. Usually used for celebrations or other special occasions. I expected it to take us a couple of hours to eat dinner, and of course, it did. Not a problem for us. We'd been there about a half hour, when the next table was filled with a couple of older gentlemen, and two young men (I assumed they, like my daughter, were college students), who were dressed extremely casually...one of them wore sweat pants (I kid you not) and a baseball cap which he did not remove the entire time. They were loud. And, VERY demanding. Ugh. They got angry when they had to "wait" for their food. They were served their entrees just minutes after ours arrived at the table...and believe me, when I say that our wait was not disproportionately long for the type of restaurant we were at. It was so annoying. And, completely destroyed the experience we were trying to enjoy. Those kind of people drive me insane. Not to mention that they demanded that most of their meal be "comped" for their inconvenience (they were loud about it too). Seriously? This is a good restaurant...perhaps you are unclear on the concept....they weren't just throwing things in the microwave like at Denny's. It takes time to individually prepare that kind of food. Our meals were all excellent. Service was excellent. Take your sweat pant, ball cap wearing, self to Applebees or somewhere more to your fast food liking. Sorry....I got distracted. But, the entitlement mentality drives me nuts.

Oh, and on the topic of BOGOF or BOGO50% off, my wife always seems to order the cheapest thing on the menu as the free or discounted item. I'll get a steak, she'll get a plain pasta dish. When I complain and tell her to get something of equal value, she says she feels like having the cheap item that day. :sad2:

So, I work in a local cafe and we put out BOGO breakfast coupons. They are the standard coupons where the free item is of equal, lesser value. Well this couple comes in yesterday and order their 2 breakfast items. The free one was $2 cheaper then the paid for one. These people then started to demand more free items to make up for the $2 difference in their paid for item and their free item. They claimed that the second item was cheaper that they were not getting the "value" out of the coupon!??? IT'S FREE!

$2, what did they ask for? A cup of coffee?

Reminds me of Disney.... entitled customers who refuse to follow a dress code ( at the signatures).

True, but I’d also say it’s part the restaurant’s fault. DH always wears collars at signatures, but is prone to skin cancer so wears caps during the day. Well, he accidentally forgot to remove his cap right away a few years ago at Narcoosees until a sweet lady reminded him. Fast forward to last month, several men in caps and T-shirt’s - nothing said to them.

Last edited:

Ridiculous. I have my own complaint about a fine dining experience we had on Saturday night. We took our daughter out in her college town to celebrate her 20th birthday. We carefully researched the best restaurant in town. And, we found a VERY good one (not cheap, of course). The kind of place where people dress up a bit. Usually used for celebrations or other special occasions. I expected it to take us a couple of hours to eat dinner, and of course, it did. Not a problem for us. We'd been there about a half hour, when the next table was filled with a couple of older gentlemen, and two young men (I assumed they, like my daughter, were college students), who were dressed extremely casually...one of them wore sweat pants (I kid you not) and a baseball cap which he did not remove the entire time. They were loud. And, VERY demanding. Ugh. They got angry when they had to "wait" for their food. They were served their entrees just minutes after ours arrived at the table...and believe me, when I say that our wait was not disproportionately long for the type of restaurant we were at. It was so annoying. And, completely destroyed the experience we were trying to enjoy. Those kind of people drive me insane. Not to mention that they demanded that most of their meal be "comped" for their inconvenience (they were loud about it too). Seriously? This is a good restaurant...perhaps you are unclear on the concept....they weren't just throwing things in the microwave like at Denny's. It takes time to individually prepare that kind of food. Our meals were all excellent. Service was excellent. Take your sweat pant, ball cap wearing, self to Applebees or somewhere more to your fast food liking. Sorry....I got distracted. But, the entitlement mentality drives me nuts.
I bet you $4 they do that at every restaurant they go to. Everything is an “inconvenience”. The food was cold, the drinks were too icey. They are professional complainers. It’s ridiculous

I work retail. I could write a book about entitled customers. It's getting worse and worse.

For instance, the store I work at sent out $5 coupons to many people. The coupon says it is for one use only, and you cannot use it on certain brands or types of items. Well, more than one person got pissed at me when they returned the items they purchased using that coupon. They thought they would get it back, and that isn't the case.

And it is very annoying when they swear they didn't use the cash coupons. Sorry, but my system says you did, and you know you did. Lying to me isn't going to change anything, and asking for a manager isn't going to change it either.

And on and on and on.........

Does the restaurant have an official dress code posted somewhere the customers can't miss, or were the customers just dressed the way they want?

Here in the Phoenix area, even the upscale restaurants have casually-dressed customers. Hawaii is even more casual. If we were in Dallas, we'd dress up more. Some cities are more laid-back than others.

I used to work at a gas station managing it. I had a couple who thought I had nothing better to do. They wanted to know when they called if I would go and make a pot of there favorite coffee,,, Um no.

People think they are entitled to all sorts of things. The place of eating they need to regulate the rules they put out. If not it is out of your control. Just eat and don't pay attention. That is how I see it.

I used to work at a gas station managing it. I had a couple who thought I had nothing better to do. They wanted to know when they called if I would go and make a pot of there favorite coffee,,, Um no.

People think they are entitled to all sorts of things. The place of eating they need to regulate the rules they put out. If not it is out of your control. Just eat and don't pay attention. That is how I see it.

I'm not sure I understand. Did your gas station typically offer their favorite type of coffee? Or was it only available at certain days/times?

I work retail. I could write a book about entitled customers. It's getting worse and worse.

For instance, the store I work at sent out $5 coupons to many people. The coupon says it is for one use only, and you cannot use it on certain brands or types of items. Well, more than one person got pissed at me when they returned the items they purchased using that coupon. They thought they would get it back, and that isn't the case.

And it is very annoying when they swear they didn't use the cash coupons. Sorry, but my system says you did, and you know you did. Lying to me isn't going to change anything, and asking for a manager isn't going to change it either.

And on and on and on.........

You are right in that it is getting worse and worse. It is really unbelievable and quit disheartening how people are just turning bad. We have had a huge rise in theft where I work. People, as bold as can be, walk right in with their own cups and fill up on either coffee or soda/tea, and either walk right out or even have the hubris to sit down and enjoy their ill gotten gains right in front of us. And this is from all age groups. We have had more senior men steal then I would have though possible. What is ironic is these are the same people who complain about high prices.

Until businesses push back against customers, it will continue to get worse.

I feel like it all started over 10 years ago when the recession hit and businesses were doing everything they could to keep customers. The economy is doing great, so I hear, so I don't understand what scares businesses from demanding that dress codes be adhered to in nicer places or pushing back hard on unreasonable requests.

I bet you $4 they do that at every restaurant they go to. Everything is an “inconvenience”. The food was cold, the drinks were too icey. They are professional complainers. It’s ridiculous
I work with a guy who takes his family out to a certain pizza joint about once every 2 weeks. He comes to work the next day and complains about the food and the service every time and states how he had his meal comped every time. Dude, if you don't like the place, stop going.

I have had bad service and I have had really bad food. I have never complained about any of it. I complain with my wallet. I do however talk to the manager or others to compliment issues. Recently tried a new restaurant. It was packed. I thought it was a local owned. Turned out to be just a fancy looking chain. Food was clearly just frozen food heated up. Terrible. I walked out after talking to the manager telling him how extraordinary the young waiter was and left a $20 tip for a $45 meal. I highly doubt they would completely change their business model of teenage cooks heating frozen food items if I complained about the actual food. I'll just never eat there again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!