How many ticket days for a 9 day trip?

This times 100.

It's the resort switching that will do you in.

Yes... this.

I would not waste so much energy moving every 3rd day. Its a lot of time lost and a lot of energy moving everything. Also, you lose the advantage of fastpasses.

Also, you can get fastpasses day of... and many of them so that wouldn't affect the number of days I buy on my ticket. So I would do a 8-day ticket (depending on what time you depart... we usually don't do anything on departure day)

But I do think you could plan so you have a relaxing trip. I don't feel the need to be at the parks open to close. We do a ticket the length of our stay and plan our days to get the most out of our time and parks. I also don't believe in hopper passes. There is enough stuff to do at each part to keep you there for however long you want to be there.

Pick a few days to arrive later in the day after a morning of relaxing/pool. Pick a few days where you head back early. If we go in the summer, we almost always head back to the resort mid-day to break, swim and rest, before heading out in the evening as the sun goes down.

While price wise, it makes sense to buy 9 days because the price goes down, BUT you know your family’s pace, so if you do not think going 9 days in the park (you could do shorter days to make it easy), I would get minimum a 6 day pass. Schedule the off days when you’re at a resort so you can do the pool and explore.. maybe do 4 days at a park (a new park each day) then rest, then visit 2 you felt you wanted to repeat on the next couple of days.. don’t feel pressured to push yourself to go to the parks everyday you’re there, there’s So much other things to do on Disney property that you miss out on experiencing if you only goto the parks. Pace yourself!! visit Disney Sptings, go to your resorts (whichever one you’re at) pool, explore etc! One time, my family and I rode the monorail to the monorail resorts (poly, GF, contemporary) and explored for a few hours. Hope this helps!

If you start with a 6 day ticket and decide you want more during your visit you can always add more while still only paying the difference from a 6 to 7 day ticket. The disadvantage is you’ll lose the opportunity to book FP+ 60 days out. As others have mentioned, the price difference between a 6 and 9 day ticket will be an extremely small percentage of your vacation cost but the benefits (extra fast passes) and flexibility of the additional days have the potential to make a significant impact on your trip.

Our first trip was five full park days in a row with midday nap breaks for our kids. We finished the week happy but, like you, totally exhausted. Our second trip was 10 days and we had 9 day hoppers. We only did one full park day and the rest were half days. This worked well for our family as we planned some days to sleep in and we came back earlier some nights. We loved spreading out the visit so we never felt like we were rushing to get everything in...it was relaxing and we didn’t end the trip feeling like we needed another vacation to recover.

We also loved the flexibility. For example we had planned one afternoon/evening for pool/resort time but it was rainy so we grabbed our ponchos and had our favorite day of the entire trip at Magic Kingdom, completely winging it without any ADRs or FP. Regardless of which half of the day we were spending in the park, we typically would schedule our FP back to back and then see what we could get for additional FP. In between our FP we’d go with the flow seeing what standby lines were short, catch a show, do a scavenger hunt, watch street performers, grab a snack or just slow down and appreciate the details within the parks that make Disney so special. We also scheduled many ADRs at resorts vs in the parks so we spent some time looking around the resorts as well.

If you appreciate the more relaxed and flexible touring style I would recommend the 9 day ticket, however if you have a ton of ADRs to work around, prefer to follow a more structured touring plan or if will bother you to not be in the park for part of a day you paid for a ticket then I’d go with the 6 day ticket and built in down days. If you’re going to take that approach I would plan park days on your “moving” days and leave your luggage with bell services in the morning before you head to the park. You’ll be able to use the resort pools and other amenities between checking in and out of resorts but I would enjoy the day more with access to all my belongings (pool toys, dry clothes, snacks, etc) and a personal space to change, cool off, relax, etc. I hope you have a great trip and let us all know what you decide!

I would get a 1-park-per-day (no hopper) ticket for 8 or 9 days. I also would only stay in a maximum of 2 resorts, preferably just one that is centrally located.

Whether we are in DLR or WDW, we find that we only spend about 6 hours in a park each day and these are the ways we structure our days.

Plan #1: We arrive at RD and stay until 2:00 and have a sit-down ADR lunch in the park. Afternoon is spent near/at the resort...resting, swimming or exploring nearby. On some of these days, we go to Disney Springs or a different resort for dinner.

Plan #2: We have what I call a "relaxing morning, late arrival day" and this means that we head to a park around 2:00 and stay until around 9:00. This allows us to sleep in, hang around the resort or pool and have a casual lunch at our hotel. This is when we see the nighttime entertainment or shows. We know that we can't do RD and stay for the evening entertainment.

Plan #3: Split day...park from RD to noon. Back to the resort for lunch, rest and swimming. Then we go back to that same park for dinner and exploring. This works best at Epcot when staying at an Epcot area resort. Or when staying at a Monorail resort and going into MK for dinner and to shop on Main Street.

If you want to move resorts on a non-park day, you could have a nice breakfast at your resort, check-out at 11:00. Go to Disney Springs for shopping and a late lunch. Then head to your next resort around 3:00. It would still be a quiet day and not too much of a hassle.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:

Definitely 9 day tickets. The more days of tickets you have, the more FP you can book in advance. On a couple of those days, even if all you do is go into the park and do your three FP attractions and walk around a bit, that's still a pretty good low-stress Disney day. It's not the number of days in the parks that will make you tired; it's the total amount of time. Going rope drop to close for 9 days is probably a bad idea for most people. But going to a park for a few hours and then doing something else the rest of the day should be good. We have 9 day tickets for our 9 day/8 night trip in January!

I’ll echo everyone else, I think trying to cram everything you want to see in a smaller amount of days is way less relaxing than visiting the parks as many days as you can staying for less time. Especially when you consider FP+ restrictions and how much less you have to consider tiers or the prebooking limit when you’ve got more days to play with. Take advantage of those front loaded tickets.

The split stays sound way more exhausting than 9 consecutive park days. We’ve done as much as 10.

We’ve got a 10 day trip coming up and got a 10 day pass. It means we can have sleep in days and evening only days. The cost is so minimal once you’ve already paid for 5 or 6 days!

If I'm paying for 9/10 resort nights, I'm buying 10 day park hoppers. Does not mean I'll be in the park every day from open to close, but the more days means more FPs and the hopper allows for touring flexibility.

I would never consider switching resorts even once, let alone twice.

We go for two weeks every March and do one day park hopper hitting the highlights at 3 parks. I know we are way different than most people but we love the resort and hanging by the pool. We also usually do a couple spring baseball games in the area.

I agree with the others who mentioned this. I couldn't do 3 hotels... It would exhaust me, the packing and unpacking over and over again and then getting a taxi or bus to another hotel (unless you're driving your own car) and the time that would take. I'd rather spend my vacation enjoying my non park days relaxing and not repacking my suitcase. But, you know your style and if you don't mind packing over and over again, go for it. Also, you mentioned that you didn't bother hopping to other resorts last time you were there (or, only hopped a couple of times) so if that's the case, skip the park-hopper tickets and aim for one park per day, with rest days in between. Myself, I'd not bother with hopper tickets and stick to one resort, so that on the non park days, I could explore some of the other resorts.

The split stays sound way more exhausting than 9 consecutive park days. We’ve done as much as 10.
Yep. We have no problem doing 10 days straight open to close, but a split stay is the worst. I did it once, and I won't do it again

If AKL was in the middle I would do 3 park days and then have a complete day off, not leaving the resort, just relaxing, swimming, seeing animals. Then dive back into the parks in a more laid back way.

But with boardwalk in the middle I think you will want to get out, go for a walk, explore, and then before you know it you're at the gate to Epcot thinking maybe I should just go in for a snack and a look at a few countries.
So with that in mind I echo other people's suggestion that you get a ticket for every day that you could go to parks (not sure how your leaving day works) and just plan some low impact days in the middle.

For fast passes think about when you'll need rest days and what your family resting looks like. Could a lie in, a pool trip and lunch and resort set you up for a mid afternoon 3 rides somewhere and an early night? Or would an evening meal near a park, coupled with a few rides work better?

Also moving resorts doesn't mean you can't take it easier that day. You just have to be awake and out of your PJ's and room at a set time. You don't have to be ready for the parks at that time. You can have a swim, put wet clothes in a bag, shower and change, and eat or head to the parks for lunch. Or you could keep your costume on, dry off in the sun, throw some clothes over it and head to your new resort for another swim. You know your family best and what recharges them.

Last edited:
DLR is my home, I’ve been in and out of good shape (you reference being out of shape in your post), and I don’t mind split stays.

But I have some comments.

A longer stay goes well with shorter days in the parks. Most people can’t go commando style for multiple days and days and days. Shorten the days and you get more enjoyment.

The FP+ makes me nuts because who on earth knows where they are gonna be in 60 days?!

People who are planning a WDW trip know where they will be, because they are planning it.

First they’ve planned dining at the 6 month mark and then they plan rides. It is what it is. Until you know the parks well enough to wing it, this is how it is.

I find making dining arrangements fun, because I get to anticipate where I’ll be during that time. FPs aren’t AS fun, but if you flip how you’re looking at it then you can focus on the anticipation and not the ugh aspect of it.

We stayed at boardwalk, but I don't think we park-hopped much because we realized it took SO long!

May I ask *how* you were park-hopping?

we won't do anything over 20-30 minutes

You are 100% shooting yourselves in the foot with that rule. That barely even works for Disneyland anymore. Drop that rule or fall in love with smelling the flowers and enjoying wandering. IMO.

We're stayed 3 days at wilderness, 3 days at boardwalk, and 3 days at animal kingdom.

Is there an overriding reason for this? Given your issues in the past trips I would encourage you to maybe not do that.

I like split stays, I like long trips (back when I had a husband whose travel paid for our airfare and who could take two weeks off no problem, sigh).

But I don’t have issues packing up or anything like those who don’t like split stays do. You might be increasing your difficulties without a solid reason.

that puts our "free day" on the same day we're changing resorts, so no where to lounge around.

Noooo.

You have TWO resorts on the change day to lounge around.

It’s the one time a non-DVC guest can pool hop, and depending on the resort even DVC owners can hop somewhere they otherwise aren't allowed to hop to. Swim in resort A, have a nice time, dry off, grab your day bags and go hit resort B.

If you have a car, just bring your luggage with you when you move to B. If you’re doing transportation, keep your day bags but let Disney move your main luggage for you.

I will say that swimming days exhaust me MORE than park days, but others are different.

Also, there is not really much of anything to spend an entire do doing when not in the parks. Why else would you go to WDW if not for the parks?

Since I’ve gone at least once a year since 2010, and other than one Moonlight Magic haven’t entered a park since 2015, I disagree. The resorts are fun, swimming is fun, riding the monorail is smelly but fun, etc.

I am looking forward to at least one park day (and maybe another MM) in February, but I’ve had a lovely time not entering a park at all for multiple trips.

Here's the thing - the add'l cost for those additional days is very small once you get to 6, 7, 8, 9 etc. You might think more about not limiting the days but doing a few shorter days. Use your FP to go on the hard to get rides and see a handful of other things in a park. But if you're set on taking a few days off - I'd think 6-7 would be sufficient if you have a few other full day activities you want to do.

I *think* I'm going to end up buying 9 days, at DH's urging, though I seriously doubt we will use them all. Psychologically, I hate leaving money on the table, so I know I will be driven to use all the days if I buy them ahead. That was part of the reason I was trying to justify buying less -- then we're (more like *I'm*) forced to have rest days. The rest of my family could care less about money and are very impulsive. We have had countless Disneyland trips where they decided to stay at the hotel an entire day or after what was just supposed to be an afternoon break. So that's another reason I'm compelled to buy less days. We are NOT commando all day people either. And with the shortened January hours and our west coast time zone, there's fat chance we'll make it to a park before noon. And they all close at 8.

I just hope I can predict the parks my people are gonna want to be in, even what I'm gonna want to be in! Like I said, they are all so impulsive. I guess they can just choose to go to what I have planned, or go elsewhere and deal with the leftover FPs! I need to be like Elsa and LET IT GO! ❄ :o

Ya i was gonna mention that. Same as being on the dining plan and ordering the most expensive item, if you buy 9 days of tickets you will be in a park all 9 days of your vacation. I suspect you will enjoy it more with a 3 days park, off day, 2 days park, off day, 2 days park.

And with the shortened January hours and our west coast time zone, there's fat chance we'll make it to a park before noon. And they all close at 8.

They likely don’t all close at 8 every day.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/calendars/park-hours for a day by day full view.

I’m horrible about getting into the right timezone, but at 5 days even I’m there. That’s IF I don’t stay out late every night.

Most people have an easier time with timezone changes.

I just hope I can predict the parks my people are gonna want to be in, even what I'm gonna want to be in! Like I said, they are all so impulsive.

Reign them in! Or let them have at it while you do what you want to do.

The extra cost for 8-9 days vs 5-6 days is minimal. IMO, better to have more days and not make full use of them than to have fewer days and wishing you had more. We are there for 10 days over Xmas/New Years and we will be in the parks every day, hopping on most days too. If we get too tired, we'll just scale it back a bit.

You can get a ticket for every day but plan time back at the resort in the middle of the day and go back to your resort.

We're switching twice same as you. We're driving so I don't know how that relates to you but. Our first switch day yo Saratoga Springs we have a 10:30 Boma reservation then go to Animal Kingdom. Our next switch is to Boardwalk so we'll check out by 11, drive to Boardwalk and drop bags then go to Epcot.

On those switch days plan to be out until check-in time. If you don't have a car take a taxi with your bags and drop them atBell Services. Sleep in, grab lunch at your new resort and head to a park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter