How many room splits are too many?

treygn

Earning My Ears
We'll be using our DVC points for the first time Dec 31-Jan 5. We booked the trip within the last month, so had to piece together what we could find. 1st two nights at OKW, next two nights at Kedani, and final night at BCV. The last day when we're checking into BCV, we'll be at HS & EP. I just saw Jan 4 come available at Kedani which would permit us to only have to move once instead of twice, but would put us far away from HS & EP on our last day. If you were a new DVC member on a 5-night trip, would you keep the night at BCV and end up moving twice, or switch to 3 nights at Kedani and only have to move once? (I realize by the time I get comments that the night at Kedani will be gone...but, I'd still like to get the feedback :) ) Thanks!

For a 5 night stay I'd prefer less moves so I'd grab that AKV night ASAP. But we don't like moving at all. Too much time packing and moving and being "homeless" till 4 each time.

I say do the resorts that you really want even if it means switching more (stay at BCV). I'm a new DVC member (joined DVC in Jan 2018) and am still real hot and heavy on resort hopping. So far I have had a pleasant experience with and without children. Just make sure that everything gets packed when you move resorts. We always seem to leave something behind.

Have fun!

I like to unpack, settle in, and not repack until the end of the trip. I would stay at literally any WDW DVC resort for the whole time in preference to having to move during our stay. But I know lots of folk out there love split stays so to each his or her own.

Last edited:

I do not split (unless I had no choice) unless I do at least 5 nights at a single resort- maybe I would do 4. On 10+ nights I like a split as 2 vacations in one. I would definately take the move once option.

Thanks for the feedback. I want to experience BCV to see why people love it so much, plus I like the idea of just walking to our resort after the fireworks at Epcot, so I guess we'll move twice.

Last edited:
I don’t mind split stays at all and have done that before with two switches.

If you already know your plan, then being homeless for those extra hours won’t matter.

When I do this, I make sure when I do online check in to say I’m arriving early, even if it’s not the exact time I will be there...and choose room ready over any other requests,..so that my time without a room is hopefully limited.

That time of year you probably have little chance of getting into your room early. So you should plan on being homeless until sometime after 4PM every time you change. The fewest changes the better.

We have a personal rule of a minimum of 4 nights at each resort but tend to visit 3 resorts most stays

I enjoy moving once per visit. I usually prefer to move once to mix it up a little. But, I do not think I would enjoy moving a 3rd time.

would you keep the night at BCV and end up moving twice, or switch to 3 nights at Kedani and only have to move once?
Moving once during a trip isn't that bad but 2 time and actually only moving for one night is probably more of a pain. It does depend on your traveling party. If you are just a couple adults then it might not be too bad, but if you are carting around kids and their luggage it does make it a bit more difficult. Hopefully you grabbed that extra kidani night, but if not then i guess the bonus is that you will be close to the parks you will be visiting.

For 5 nights I would only move once...so 2 parts to the split. One time we did 1 night at AKV followed by 7 at BWV and then 4 at SSR. Another time we did 3 nights at OKW followed by 2 at Poly and then 2 more at Coronado which we added on while at Poly because of bad weather that was coming in during our planned drive home. Those 2 trips were exhausting due to the moving resorts. I'd only ever do one split over a week and prefer longer really. You have to lug stuff to car or check it with bell services and then can be without a room from 11am until 4pm (or even later sometimes). It would be better, in my opinion, to grab that night at AKV and forgo being close to Epcot/HS.

Agree with PP for one move (2 part split). Make sure you schedule a park day or something to keep busy - you will likely not be in new room until 4 (or after). Also, are you doing groceries or anything? Split stays get much more aggravating when you're trying to pack/move a bunch of groceries, too.

Although.... BCV is one of my faves! Don't worry if you don't get it all in with this trip, though... the beauty of DVC is many many more (relaxing) Disney vacations :)

It's just me, my partner, and my 12 year old son. We travel lightly. But, that's a good point about the groceries! I hadn't considered that. We were planning on eating in a couple meals those first two days because we will have a 1 bedroom at OKW. If we wanted to move anything with us, we would need a cooler or something to keep the refrigerated items cold between check out and check in.

It's just me, my partner, and my 12 year old son. We travel lightly. But, that's a good point about the groceries! I hadn't considered that. We were planning on eating in a couple meals those first two days because we will have a 1 bedroom at OKW. If we wanted to move anything with us, we would need a cooler or something to keep the refrigerated items cold between check out and check in.

Bell services will store your groceries and they have a refrigerator to do so. No issues with that! They can send them to the new resort with your luggage.

Walking home after the Epcot fireworks would make the extra move worth it to me.

We usually try to limit our moves to one per trip. We've done two per trip and it wasn't the end of the world. In your situation, I would keep the two moves just to be able to experience more resorts.

Have a great trip!

When we were brand new to DVC we would actively try to do 2 splits per 5/6 D stay. We really enjoy BC and it is a nice last night stay. Maybe the Kadani will open up so you can get rid of OKW.

Less moves, always......unless you are someone who lives tightly out of your suitcase and prefers to try new resorts and locations. Luckily online check-in makes it easier and I think some people have mentioned Bell Services makes transition of bags really easy as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!