How many resorts have you split your stay into?

I do NOT like to live out of my suitcase and I LOVE to just arrive and be settled for my full vacation without thinking
I need to be packing up for my next stay. I would probably be thinking too much about what needs to be put away or not taken out
or packed up waiting for the following stay. I have no desire.

2 WDW resorts plus an offsite. All within a single week. UGH.. not recommended.. but you do what you have to do..

We did a 3 resort split stay because we kept adding on to our trip and the resorts we previously booked at were full. I enjoyed trying out different resorts but it was difficult to be "homeless" on the switch days. If I did it again I would plan our switch days to be park days so we could be gone and hopefully come back to a room ready. Bell services was great with transferring luggage! One key thing to remember is making sure they manually check you out of the first resort so it will assign your room at the new resort.

Love split stays but I would definitely limit it to two resorts. One downside is booking ADR's has to be done in two segments- you can't book for your whole trip 180 days from check in at the first resort. Have to do it 180 days from check in at each place. Fast passes however work as normal- can book for your whole trip 60 days from check in at the first place.

We like split stays and usually limit it to two resorts in one vacation.
Last year though, due to shifting priorities we cobbled together a 3-resort, 4 room split stay. We loved it. It was fun to visit different resorts (two of the 3 resorts were new for us). I wouldn't necessarily do it again, but we enjoyed it for what it was. It worked out great since we got GFV and Poly at less than 6 months. The dates we needed just happened to be open. It was meant to be.

Love split stays but I would definitely limit it to two resorts. One downside is booking ADR's has to be done in two segments- you can't book for your whole trip 180 days from check in at the first resort. Have to do it 180 days from check in at each place. Fast passes however work as normal- can book for your whole trip 60 days from check in at the first place.
I actually learned through my booking process as DVC you can still book 180+10 on a split stay but because the system doesn’t recognize it you have to call member services to do so. Not the most convent but if you’re trying for a hard to book adr it’s good to know!

At WDW, we've never split across more than 2 resorts. Normally this was by intention breaking the trip into two purposes: work-related-conference (BWV) and a couple nights either before or after at another resort to simply "rest up." We have a 2-resort split on the books right now, for vacation purposes, that we are still hoping to merge into a single stay through stalking/WL

However, with our Worldmark, we've done lots of splitting on road trips. Our first was San Diego to Vancouver, Canada, and back using 11 resort "splits." Years later we did San Diego to Zion/Yellowstone/Mt. Rushmore/RMNP and back with 8 "splits."

Do different room categories at the same resort count? If so, I've done a 3-way split. It was shortly after AKL joined DVC. I wanted to understand the difference between savannah view, standard view, and especially value so what better way than first-hand experience. It was a solo trip, so why not?

Just curious to see how many different resorts people have split their stay into? What have your experiences been with it? Planning our first stay and love the idea of splitting into different resorts.... how many is too many? What do those out there who enjoy split stays like about them? Would love any feedback you all could give me.
We usually do a split with just tow resorts. This past time tho we split with 3 resorts because I kept adding nights onto the beginning. It was easy enough because we didn't have any room time planned in the beginning so we sent our stuff with bell services early in the morning before we left for the parks and then saw it when we got to our new resort.

We have done one night and two night splits and I found we didn't care for those. I felt like we were always moving. So, from now on, our splits will be a minimum of 3 nights at a resort before we move, if possible.

Overall, though, we enjoy split stays.

We have done one night and two night splits and I found we didn't care for those. I felt like we were always moving. So, from now on, our splits will be a minimum of 3 nights at a resort before we move, if possible.

Overall, though, we enjoy split stays.
That's what I always say in my mind (has to be 3 nights, at least, on each part of split). But then I end up wanting or needed to add a night at beginning or end of the trip...so then we have a 1 nighter.

Also.. My March trip, I just booked, is 2 at AKV and 5 at BLT when I wanted (and it was available) 6 at BLT. But I was cancelling a split we had booked for Dec (booked BWV at 8 months and then wanted to get BLT at 7 but all that was available was 3/5 nights so we kept 2 at BWV and did 3 at BLT but I had to use 2 UY to book the BLT). So we had to unlink the BLT and then try to modify but the one UY left me exactly 66 points to use and BLT nights are 44 and 48 so I looked at what 1BR would be 66 for 2 nights and that was AKV standard view. Then I had modified the other BLT to BLT for March and had to borrow to do that and when I dropped the BWV we realized I had a ton of borrowed points needing to be used so I added another night. Long convoluted story...on top of having to modify (cancel) a 3 part linked Dec mess which used 2 UY, I also used a mix transferred, banked and borrowed. And the Dec was booked from cancelling another convoluted resie (we have aging ill mothers so we keep having need to move trip dates based on this medical thing or that). Biggest lesson here is to NOT have multiple UY/memberships. It does lend to booking more split stays and it is a PAIN to manage (2 UY). I transferred points between UY twice now and it's been awful both times so I will NOT do it again and will just book on each. Might have to borrow deep into one UY while having to bank in the other (and that bugs me for some reason, but oh well...it will be easier).

We prefer not to do split stays most of the time but since we like to do 10+ day trips, the minimum would probably be 3 nights in one place and a maximum of 2 resorts if there was a specific reason for it. For example, we’re planning for 3 nights in a CCV cabin at the end of our trip next December because of how point intensive they are. With young kids we find it just easier to stay in one place!

Last Oct, DH, DD12, DD11, and I had a four night piece together trip before a cruise. One night GFV in a studio, one night BWV one bedroom, one night BWV studio, and then one night BCV studio. I was prepared, so had everything packed to make it easy, but it was a little much, lol. We learned not to let them move our luggage and to do it ourselves as it got lost. But we have still done split stays at others and have enjoyed them.

We love split stays! We usually do 2 resorts for 6 or 7 days. Often, if some of our party is arriving late, we'll stay in a less expensive room for the that one night & still split the rest of the time between an Epcot resort & a MK one. We've done as many as 4, but that's usually just me when I've decided to stay longer. I drive, they fly.
And, as mentioned, it's easy to have your luggage transferred for you. We just carry on our day as usual & get our luggage when we return from a park & are checked into the new hotel. Your bags won't get transferred until 3:00 or 4:00, though.

New to DVC and following along.

DH and I have decided that since we have APs this year and we are pretty sure we will want more points, we will tour the resorts (during our first full family stay coming in December) the best we can and then maybe book a 3-4 day weekend to try out the resorts that we are seriously considering. So, probably just 1 night each. It would just be the 2 of us and with the purpose of experiencing the resorts. So, we're thinking we'd only visit parks and other activities from around 11 am - 5 pm.

In planning our upcoming BWV stay, I realized that while we spend more time in Epcot and DHS (as parks) and are fine with 1 day in MK and 1 day split with AK/DS, we have a tendency to book a lot of ADRs at the monorail resorts and Wilderness. So, split stays may be our future, but maybe more like 4 (BWV)+2(MK area). Our AK/DS day would be on "move day".

My problem is I'm a "room cleaner". I wipe a lot of surfaces down and check for bed bugs, etc. I just cannot relax unless I've done it. I've gotten pretty quick, but it still takes time away from the fun.

4 splits in upcoming 8 day trip! I love split stays but this may be a bit too much. Partly because there is no availability and I don't want to do the whole thing in SSR or OKW. But I'll take advantage of DP. 2 nights DP makes more sense here and there makes more $$ sense than 8 nights DP.

DW and I did 3 hotels in 4 nights (1 night BLT studio, 1 night AKV 1BR, 2 nights BCV 1BR) for our very first DVC stay 2 years ago. We had just closed on a resale contract that had 68 points that expired 11/30 and we didn't get access to the points until August. Since it was F&W, there wasn't a lot of choices out there -- and I quickly came to realize how fast inventory changes. While that itinerary was not ideal, it was a good thing to do one time, since we got to experience BLT and AKV.

I personally am a fan of split stays, but I would really only suggest doing them with a minimum 3 nights at each place. The three hotels in three days was pretty tiring.

I really like doing 3 nights at BCV or BWV and then 4 nights at a monorail resort. That way you can do epcot/DHS for the first few days, then hit up DAK on moving day, and by the time you leave DAK, your hotel room should be ready and bags delivered.

The biggest problem I've had with a split stay was that our groceries didn't get transported efficiently, so I had to toss out all of the refrigerated stuff. But other than that happening one time, it's pretty painfree. You just have to make sure you account for the 10-15 minutes it will take for bell services to get to your room. If you don't have a lot of bags, you can also just take them down to bell services yourself -- which we do when the kids aren't with us.

We did our first split stay years ago out of necessity and I thought we would hate it. We really liked it.
Now we usually split between 2. We typically will book just the first night or 2 in a studio to get us settled and then we move to a larger room. Usually at a different resort but sometimes at the same.

We’re new to DVC, so over our first several stays, we’ve booked all split stays to expose ourselves to as many of the resorts as possible.

Transitioning from resort to resort has been easy. Bell services picks up our bags (including perishables) and then we head to the park. We head back to the new resort, call up bell services, and five minutes later they’re in our new room.

In our first year, we will have stayed at BCV, VGF, BWV, and AKV-Jambo all courtesy of split stays. Given the challenges of booking at 7-months as I’ve experienced them, I can see eventually wanting to just own at our favorite resorts and not monkey with this non-home resort business. As such, the split stays are a great way to “sample” the resorts. I recommend it highly for new members. Again, it’s certainly given us a newfound appreciation for the buy where you want to stay philosophy.

ETA: Split stays are also great for being able to quickly access Epcot/DHS and M/K from their respective surrounding resorts. Heading to Epcot from VGF was a PITA by way of the monorail - BCV to Epcot by way of walking? So civilized.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter