How Many Days for the Parks?

Creen14

Mouseketeer
We will be traveling to Disneyland with a four year old. Do you think we will need four or five days for the parks? We would also like to check out Downtown Disney.

.....are you willing to split up at night and have one adult stay at lodging with sleeping child and other exploring coasters?

....how many times are you willing to ride autopia?

...on day three and beyond ...are you comfortable with a stroller with your child?

With a four year old, it can be nice to go to the parks in the morning, the take a long break at the hotel for swimming/nap and possibly head back to the parks at night. If this is the case, I think the more days the better so you don’t feel bad to not be doing full days in the parks. Downtown Disney isn’t much... nothing like Disney Springs. You can easily experience it in between park and hotel time.

.....are you willing to split up at night and have one adult stay at lodging with sleeping child and other exploring coasters?

....how many times are you willing to ride autopia?

...on day three and beyond ...are you comfortable with a stroller with your child?

What are you trying to say??? That we shouldn't take a four year old?

huh...no.....there are certain strategies that can decrease or increase your length of stay at Disneyland. As parents, if you are really into the adventure thrills, but discover the limitations of a toddler, than an extra night will allow one of you to explore the thrills....which would make a long stay worthwhile...advice that I read and followed in a guide book when we traveled with our 5 year old....wife had her monte cristio at night, I had my Splash mountain at night

Autopia is a dream come true for a toddler, if you are into enhancing that fantasy experience, than more days will allow for that experience. You may even be shocked that the island in the middle of ROA may be the apple for that toddler....which most of us didn't see coming...."Pumpkin...we are at Disneyland.....do we really have to go thru that cave....again?"

On the morning of day three, a walking toddler will began to show exhaustion, so if you are planning for a day four and day five....are you willing to rent a stroller?

huh...no.....there are certain strategies that can decrease or increase your length of stay at Disneyland. As parents, if you are really into the adventure thrills, but discover the limitations of a toddler, than an extra night will allow one of you to explore the thrills....which would make a long stay worthwhile...advice that I read and followed in a guide book when we traveled with our 5 year old....wife had her monte cristio at night, I had my Splash mountain at night

Autopia is a dream come true for a toddler, if you are into enhancing that fantasy experience, than more days will allow for that experience. You may even be shocked that the island in the middle of ROA may be the apple for that toddler....which most of us didn't see coming...."Pumpkin...we are at Disneyland.....do we really have to go thru that cave....again?"

On the morning of day three, a walking toddler will began to show exhaustion, so if you are planning for a day four and day five....are you willing to rent a stroller?

Sorry, I was reading your reply as sarcasm.

We were there in March with 3 yo. I think 4 days is good. We were there 5. Kiddo too tired last day. If it’s going good for you, you can add a 5th day before the end of your 4th day for the upcharge.

If your focus is the child I don’t think you need hoppers. I usually recommend them but it wasn’t important to us and could save you over $100.

We buy our tickets on last minute travel club. Google a free annual membership code.

If I could go back in time I’d take it a little easier. I wasn’t super planner but I had a list of rides. We ticked off all the boxes but I’m not sure it was as enjoyable as it could have been. Little kids don’t know what they’re missing. So, pick your must do’s and your backups.

We had family with us so we were able to get a 3 hour date night. It was amazing. We did so much in those hours. We had maxpass but couldn’t ride at the same time in the day and couldn’t use rider swap because the kids didn’t have the patience. It was very useful and I’m glad I had it. They couldn’t have lasted walking across the park to pick up paper FP and then waiting to go use them.

We took a long break every day. Left after lunch. Returned after our 5 pm free dinner at homewood suites.

The general advice here is that more days allows for less stress, especially when small children are involved. More days gives you plenty of time for rides (and repeat rides on old and new favorites), shows, parades, character M&Gs, character meals, pool time, maybe a beach day, shopping, naps, jet lag recovery, etc. at a non-hectic pace. 5 days should give you plenty of time to really enjoy the atmosphere of the parks, let your 4 year old set a pace that's comfortable, adjust for crowds (when were you planning to visit? crowds can really affect how many days you might need), and do just about everything you want to do in the parks and maybe with some local sightseeing thrown in. DTD can be seen in an hour, but there are restaurants you might want to visit and shops your 4 yo might like, e.g. the Lego Store. DTD is within the security zone, so it is easy to park hop and visit DTD on the same day, multiple times if you'd like.

We took both our boys when they turned 4 and tall enough to go on most everything. We did five days, took our time and really ket them decide what to do. We always rode the train first thing on the first day. A stroller is a must and lots of little breaks for snacks in a quiet corner and a long afternoon break at the hotel for playtime in the pool and a nap.

When our kids were little we left the parks about 1 or 2 and went back to the hotel for naps. Re entered the park around 5 or 6. We usually did 5 days just so we wouldn't kill us or the kids trying to fit everything in. If someone was tired we'd sleep in for the day or leave early for the day. It gave us the most flexibility.

Also, even for 4 year old, strollers came in handy for naps, just resting from tired feet. I know the Disney strollers changed recently but the old ones were great for a 4 or 5 year old to ceash.

Thanks, all.
We will be bringing a stroller, I think this will be handy to just lug her through the airport, back to the hotel, etc.
We will be going in end of Feb/beginning of March so pool time may be iffy, but our daughter loves to swim so you never know.

We took our then 4-year-old DD in February 2017. We arrived on a Monday and left on a Saturday, with 4-day Park Hoppers to use Tuesday through Friday. We did four fairly full park days, and took afternoon breaks on a couple, including one when it was warm enough to swim.

We used a stroller on the fourth day when she was starting to get tired, and had a great final late (rainy) night in DCL with the help of the stroller. We also brought our stroller from home so we wouldn't have to rent one - Southwest was great about gate-checking that stroller for several vacations!

I think four is a great age for Disneyland, and that 4-5 days will enable you to go at a pace that is comfortable for a 4-year-old. That gives you several different days to try for certain early morning or late night activities that might depend on a child's mood!

Our DD's absolute favorite thing about Disneyland was the character interactions, so be sure to bring a camera and autograph book!

Is she tall enough for the big rides? One of my fondest Disney memories is chasing my then 3 year old daughter back to the entrance of Space Mountain moments before midnight with her screaming “One More Time Daddy” all the way.

I think taking a four year is great as long as you are willing to take your time and possibly plan on a break during the day to unwind. Think of all the memories you'll be making watching experience the rides, characters and parks. But honestly, as the parent you know your child best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter