• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

how long are the lines for rides in November

violet13

Mouseketeer
We are planning our first family trip in November with 4 children, and I'm very concerned about how long we'll have to wait in the ride lines especially since these parks close earlier in the winter months too......Also we have a baby, I heard something about they allow one parent on with the kids while the other parent holds the baby in line, then he gets on the ride next and doesn't have to wait in line again??? Is that called "baby swap" or something.??...any information detailing all the tricks to not waste time in lines would be wonderful...thank you

Well I quess it depends when you go.. We just went Nov 8 - 13,2000 and the crowds were terrible... I have never seen disney so full. The hotel - Port orleans wasn't that bad but the parks were jam packed... We happen to win the trip through a travel agency otherwise I might of been really disappointed if we saved all year and didn't get to do much...
You had to be really patient and sometimes stand in line for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.
We did use some fast passes which work if you are going to be in the area at the time they say. Like Splash Mountain/ Test Track..... Also some of the rides were down for be refurbished or like Space Mountain seemed to be having problems all week.. We would get fast pass tickets but then when our time came up it was not working.

I would for sure get reservations at any resturants you can ---- that is a great help.
I have not personally used the baby swap but I have heard it is great....

Again don't worry about the crowds.. Other people I have talked to just here at home go in November and have never had crowd problems.. It may of been just that they had some great specials come up for Florida area people and flights were very cheap & end of Millenuim celebrations.... Who knows ---

Another suggestion which some may not agree with me but It seems the last few times going to Disney - ( which we are going to try this process this feb.) is not go on early morning days.
Go to an opposite park. --- Some areas of the parks are not open at Early entry and then you are waiting in line of 'angry' people to get to a certain area of parks or the lines to the only rides open are very long.

I am for sure a Disneyworld Fan and plan to go annually/biannually -- It is so magical...
just like Children you learn by trial and error and I know your trip will be fantastic..
Have a tentative plan but don't get all bent out of shape if the first 4 hours you are off schedule... It just helps to plan ps reservations at resturants. MOST OF ALL If you are staying at the resorts - which I highly recommend..... take a break for a nap/rest at pool....
and maybe even plan a 1/2 - 1 day break from the parks to rest minds/feet/and attitudes.

Have a great time -

We were there Wed Nov 14 thru Sun Nov 19 last year. Except for EE at MK on Sat the crowds were fairly small. We usually do not do EE but it was my birthday and Mickey's so I wanted to spend the day there. We did take advantage of FastPass, not because it was necessary but to ride twice. Longest line was probably 20 minutes. It was the most slow paced trip we have ever had and we saw everything we wanted and visited all the major parks. I heard the week before was very busy because of Soap Opera Weekend and I believe that the NJ schools were also out that week.

The crowds are larger during the 2nd week in Nov. - all of the schools in New Jersey are out. For an "off-season" time the parks are definately more crowded than usual, but we never waited in line more than about 15 minutes (except for Test Track, which was constantly breaking down). Utilize Fast Pass, go on the most popular rides during mealtimes, and don't fret and fume about the wait times - it doesn't help anything.

We always go during the Food and Wine Festival, and the last couple of times it's been during "Jersey week". We just don't let it bother us :)

Do you know the dates for "Jersey Week" this year? Between Super Soap WE, Jersey Week, and Turkey day, maybe the last week of Nov is best for smaller crowds?

I believe that Soap Weekend is Nov. 2, 3, and 4th. New Jersey week is Nov. 5th - 9th. Veteren's Day is Nov. 12th. I'm not sure if the Orlando schools are out for that but if they are you can expect the MK to be fairly crowded on that Monday.

Nov 12 through the start of the Thanksgiving crowds *should* be fairly uncrowded -- at least I hope so!

Has anyone ever gone the week after Thanksgiving? How are the crowds then?

Donna

A very big plus for going the week after Thanksgiving week is that the Christmas decorations are up. If you've never seen them, you've really missed a treat.

Our vacation is planned for Nov 5-9, I'm really bummed to hear this is the busiest in Nov due to New Jersey Schools, does any body KNOW if they are all off that week this year?? How bad can it be? Please be honest...I might change my vacation over this....Thanks

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU IN PLANNING YOUR VACATION. EVERY YEAR IN NJ THE STATE I HAPPEN TO LIVE IN SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED FOR THE TEACHERS CONVENTION. THIS YEAR THE CONVENTION IS NOV 8-9. ELECTION DAY IS NOV 6 AND MOST SCHOOLS ARE ALSO CLOSED HOWEVER THIS VARIES FROM DISTRICT TO DISTRICT. MANY FAMILIES GO DOWN TO DISNEY DURING THIS WEEK BECAUSE THERE ARE 3 DAYS WHEN SCHOOL IS CLOSED. THAT IS WHY DISNEY IS CROWDED DURING THIS TIME. I HAVE PLANNED A TRIP TO WDW FOR THE WEEK OF THANKSGIVING LEAVING THE DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING. THE PARKS ARE NOT THAT CROWDED HOWEVER THE CLOSER YOU GET TO THANKSGIVING THE BUSIER THE PARKS BECOME. MY FAMILY WENT DOWN LAST 2 YEARS AGO AND THE WEATHER WAS GREAT AND WE ALL HAD A MARVELOUS TIME. WE ARE ALL LOOKING FORWARD TO GOING AGAIN THIS YEAR.

Hi Violet,

If you already have your reservations, please don't go through the effort to change them. Usually November (until Thanksgiving) is a great time to visit. Of course, the weekends are more crowded. Disney is great at determining how crowded the parks are going to be. They usually keep the parks open longer when they are crowded. You can go to the Disney site and see when the parks close for the time you are talking about. If they are closing early, it is a safe bet they don't think they will be crowded. The Soap weekend focuses mainly on MGM. If you are indeed going during this time, just avoid MGM until the week days. Week days are not crowded. And even if it is a little crowded, except for some of the major rides which you can get FastPasses for, the lines tend to move quickly. There is so much to do and see, just take your time and enjoy it and you won't be disappointed even if it is crowded.

Yes, Disney allows the swapping you are talking about. We haven't had to do this since we only have one child, but let the person know at the beginning of the ride that you are going to do this and they are usually very helpful. Talking to the employees is also very helpful when riding the monorail (if you ask an employee on the monorail if you can ride in the very front, they will usually let you and the kids love it!). Also, let the employees know it is your first time and they will be more than happy to help anyway they can. One piece of advice though, if you are going to Animal Kingdom, since you have a baby, go early or it will be too hot even in November.

Hope you have a terrific time:)

courtneysunshine

Hi Violet13. We went to WDW last year from November 10th - 20th. I would have to say that it was more crowded than an earlier November visit, I think due to the Millennium celebrations.

We had a few longer attraction waits of about 1/2 hour (Peter Pan, which wasn't yet on fastpasss, Tomorrowland Speedway, boat ride in The Land at Epcot) but most lines were much shorter. We used fastpass extensively and were really happy with our ability to zip right onto a ride with it. With a few exceptions (Dinosaur & Test Track come to mind right away) we walked right onto any ride where we were holding fastpasses.

The baby swap or child swap works well, and has the added bonus that in many cases the older children get to ride first with Dad and then again right away with Mom (or whichever order you decide upon).

I agree with Courtneysunshine that the ride at the front of the monorail is lots of fun. Generally they limit it to 4 people, though, so be prepared for that, just in case.

While the crowds were bigger than I expected, I felt we did and saw a lot. I wouldn't hesitate to go back again during similar crowds, but I think we did a lot of planning, which was a huge help.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter