How long a drive to Kennedy Space Center from Orlando?

Brenda in IN

Earning My Ears
Thinking of going, but will only have 1/2 a day.....will it be worth it? Can't leave Orlando till after 12 noon.... Thanks for any info!:confused:

The KSC is about an hours drive. You'll want to spend a good half day at the center...lots to do and see, plus a bus tour. You can check out the ksc.com website for hours and info.

hercamore--- We probably can't get there until about 1:30.... KSC closes at 6:00. Would we have enough time to make it worth our while?

Brenda, if you have children and have never been to the space coast before, I would go. It is very educational experience for them. I believe I read somewhere kids admission is free for awhile now, too. It is a nice change of pace from the make believe of the parks. You can go south to Cocoa Beach afterward, see the ocean, eat at one of the many chain restaurants. We spent 3 days on the space coast area in august and had a blast.

cocoa beach is about half hour drive south of space center depending on traffic.

We went to Kennedy Space Center Sunday the 14th. We stayed west of Disney World and the drive took about 90 minutes. We were disappointed with KSC. We knew that part of the center is off limits for security reasons and it does make a big difference. We found the center to be very understaffed which ate up a lot of time. You could not take backpacks or totebags into the center. We stood in line 15 minutes to buy tickets. You then go thru metal detectors and they search your purses and anything else you have with you. This of course takes a while. We had lunch at one of the counter restaurants. We stood in line 10 minutes to pay for our food that got cold while we waited to pay for it. The food was the worst we had during our week in Orlando. We waited in line about 30 minutes for the tour bus. The lines in the gift shops were just as bad. I waited in line 10 minutes to get drinks later in the afternoon as well. You don't mind waiting in line when things are busy but there were not that many people at the center. It just seemed like the center was trying to get by with too few employees.

There are some interesting things to see but we probably wouldn't go again.

I agree wholeheartedly with Orlando Planner. We were there on the 6th. It took at least 45 minutes to get through security, the whole time standing in the blazing hot sun. Then there was so much that was either discontinued due to security reasons or under rehab that we felt cheated. And even though kids are free now, the visitors' center is definitely NOT free - it still cost us $50 to get in. Most of the exhibits were O.K., but I think they could be so much better - say, if Disney were in charge of them. And while it looks like it should only take an hour to get from there to WDW, we found that it took us closer to 2 hours! I would definitely not try to go if I only had half a day - I would not feel as though I had gotten my money's worth. Sorry to be so negative, but we were very disappointed.

Musky:smooth:

ive just got back from orlando last tuesday and we went to ksc the first week.It took about 1 hour to get there from i drive,when we got there it had just opened and we 2 spent about 20 mins in the q for tickets:o then we waited for 45 mins to get on the tour bus :mad: :mad:
then instead of the 3 stops you normally get there was just the 1 stop by apollo rocket then back to the center.:confused:

i know they have to be more carefull with the attacks but the same full price was charged and only half the tour :mad:
We then drove down to coco beach and spent a great afternoon on the beach :D :D :D
We will not be going back there again.

For all the input...I think we'll skip KSC this time around. Thank you all for relaying your experiences.... it really helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter