How late do you wait to book domestic flights?

My trip is in September, so a little more than 4 months out. I'm still waiting to book because the Hopper app has told me the price will most likely drop again. Should I book or wait?

Honestly, I would still wait. I do actually have booked my airfare for September, but I found an amazing deal that I am sure cannot be beat ($384 round trip in Comfort on Delta LAX to MCO direct). But if I had not, I would still be waiting. For my March trip, I did not book my airfare until January. I have bought in July for September trips several times previously. I just look at the prices regularly and when I find a good price, I book right away. I usually have a number in mind and when I see that number, I move forward with booking. I often still keep checking after I book, but that is just to see if there are any really big drops. I also use Hopper to keep track of the airfare prices.

I book when I feel like it (when I'm sure I'm going). I try to book Southwest so the prices don't fluctuate that much. It's a good deal anytime!

I've booked flights out same day. I don't think I've ever booked a flight 4 months in advance. Due to our professions it doesn't quite work like that for me and DH. We'll probably book our flights for a couple of vacations with the kids in May and June next week...lol. We felt proud to have some of the rooms booked at this point; of course, we only had to nail that down yesterday, so now we can proceed with our planning for the summer.

Usually no more than two months before the trip because that's when I finalize the dates. I just don't like planning too far in advance.

I usually go with about 1 1/2 to 2 months out when I book mine. I've gotten good results that way.

Ideally I like to book 3-5 months out, but it depends. If you have flexibility with dates and airlines, then you can wait longer. I’ll often check for flights on an airline’s website and look at the seating chart to see how many seats are still available. If it’s a peak travel time, flights can fill up fairly early.

Usually 4-6 months before the trip. The rooms are already booked and finalized (DVC points rental), my ADRs are done, so all that's left is the plane trip and the FP+.

Typically we fly out of ONT, via SW airlines so we know there's a stop and it's costlier than flying out of LAX. Tripmates are OK with that, although one usually waits a bit longer to book and by then, prices have raised, so she goes out of LAX. But we go for 2 weeks so each have a suitcase + a carry-on.

We also plan our outfits - color coordinate, character coordinate, that sort of thing, lol. Shoes - we only use 2 pairs. Heels/flats and sneakers.

There is NO (zip, zero, zilch) magic time to book airline tickets. I have had good luck at 300 days out, I have had good luck at 5 months, and good luck at 3 months.

We book when we find a price and time we are satisfied with and don't look back.

As soon as I know when we're going, I'll start looking at airfare. The more you watch, the more you'll know what a good price is.

There is NO (zip, zero, zilch) magic time to book airline tickets. I have had good luck at 300 days out, I have had good luck at 5 months, and good luck at 3 months.

We book when we find a price and time we are satisfied with and don't look back.

As soon as I know when we're going, I'll start looking at airfare. The more you watch, the more you'll know what a good price is.

Exactly my strategy. I have in my mind a "good" price (based on past experience), and when it's $10-20 of that price, either direction, I buy it, and don't worry about whether *maybe* it will go lower.

It depends on the destination, but I tend to do 45-60 days out but if I want to get my travel plans nailed down then I'll purchase them as soon as I can just to have the peace of mind that I've got a seat.

A week or a few days ahead. Maybe 3 weeks at the most. When we decide to go, we go. Prices drop on Tuesday’s we try to get them then.

Tend to always plan trips on very short notice. Generally either the week of the trip, or if there’s a sale on the flights maybe a little further out.

What airline are you looking at? Some will match the price for you if the price goes down, so no real downside in booking early then. Check that policy for your airline.

There are so many factors at play, it's really hard to say. It depends on when you're flying, and to where you are flying.

When we were tied to the school calendar in MA, and traveled over President's Week. I would book at 331 days out to get the Delta non-stop from BOS-to Florida without having to mortgage our house. As DS got older, and more airlines moved in with non-stops, but released flights closer to departure, we started playing the waiting game.

DH and I are looking at a trip for the week AFTER Thanksgiving. I'm holding off on those flights, because I do think they are going to come down.

We go to Aruba every August with a group of friends, typically book a JetBlue Getaway, and usually book flights and hotel about 6 months out.

I think one of the best pieces of advice I ever got was to find a price that you are "OK" with, book when you hit that price, and then don't stress out by continuing to check. (Unless you're on SWA where you can lower the price for credit).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter