How is traffic from Orlando to Tampa and back on a Sunday or Monday?

jenhelgren

DIS Veteran
We are trying to pick a day for Busch Gardens in two weeks and have narrowed it down to Sunday or Monday.
We will be staying in Orlando and making the drive to Tampa around 8 am and back to Orlando around 6 pm.

I'm guessing the park will be more crowded on Sunday than Monday but have no idea what we are getting ourselves into traffic wise if we go on a weekday during rush hour!

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Not sure when you're going, but check if Tampa has any home games for its sports teams- if you do Sunday. That can clog up the highway!

We do that drive as we like to fly in/out of Tampa when the flight prices are lower. You may want to even wait a bit after 6- maybe stop for a bite to eat.

your route is I-4 which has pretty bad rush hour issues most any work day

In particular Tampa in the area where I-4 ends and dumps into I-275, and in Orlando the area of I-4 from the beachline (528) til south of the Disney area ...

here's a good site to watch yourself for a few days ... http://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/traffic

Thanks for the info! I know that tourist traffic can cause chaos on the weekends too--so would you advise Sunday or Monday for the less stressful drive? :)

We just did the drive between Tampa and WDW back in February and I agree that Sunday would be better for traffic. You're traveling during prime rush hour times.

Mapping websites like Bing Maps and Google Maps let you enter specific dates and times for trips. They use historical traffic data to estimate the time based on that data. I'd check that out when making your decision.

Also, you mention that you're staying in Orlando. That can mean different things to different people. Are you staying in the City of Orlando? If so, I'd opt for a Sunday trip as traffic on Interstate 4 between Downtown Orlando and the Attractions area can be bad on a weekday.

If you're staying in the Walt Disney World area, traffic on your outbound trip will be less of an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter