How is everyone dealing with loved ones being away for the holidays?

StephandSteve2004

Earning My Ears
This is the first time my brother will be away for the holidays (he just enlisted in the Army in January and is now in Iraq). It's been hard on my family, especially my Mom, and I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to cope with him being away for the holidays. Thanks!

Does your brother have internet access? What Titus' family did on thanksgiving was really cool. They created their own chat room in yahoo messenger and a lot of family got to chat with Titus and each other all at the same time. Sort of like a giant dinner table except everyone was all over the world, not in the same room. It was a real moral booster for Titus and I'm sure it helped his family cope with his absence. You might try doing something like that if possible.

This is the first year my son will be away. He left right after Thanksgiving for Germany. This has been so hard on me! I know they grow up and move away but usually not THIS far! I've been real depressed. This is gonna be a real hard Christmas for me!:(
I'm having a hard time getting in the spirit.....

My cousin who is a Marine is heading to Iraq very soon. he's in Cali right now. He was suppose to have leave in January- they cancelled it, due to deployment.

We JUST got word that he will be able to make it home on the Sunday after Christmas, but he has to be back on Friday. My family is forever grateful that we get these 5 days!...

My aunt is taking it VERY hard, it's her "baby" whose leaving to fight for our country. My Grandfather, and 3 uncles are vetrans, so my aunt is well aware of the goings on....2 of my uncles were in the Gulf...

Prayers and pixie dust to all of you..

that yahoo chat groups is a GREAT IDEA!! I'm sure it boosted EVERYONES spirits!

Brandy

The holidays can be very hard. My brother has been in for 11 years now, and the holidays are always the hardest on my mom, as it's her "Sonny Boy" she can't talk to. No real stragedies to cope. Hopefully your brother can write a letter, get an email out, or, if lucky, call. Even if it's not on the actual holiday. Just getting some type of communication around the holidays always helped my mom.

Good luck to your family.. May your brother be safe, and come home soon!!

Keli, that's a GREAT idea, but unfortunately where he is right now, there's no Internet access, but I'm going to keep that in mind if he ever gets it. That must be such a morale booster! Thanks for the tip!

To everyone who is going through the same thing I am, I'll keep everyone in my prayers and to everyone offering support, I truly appreciate it!

It is not easy, we feel your pain and pray for your loved one. ^i^

Luckily, our son is not in the war, but we share in your seperation and loneliness. When ours first joined the Army 10 yrs ago it was quite an adjustment, specially some holidays when he could not be home with our family. When he was away for special training or missions ~ thinking about what he was going through was very depressing. I almost made myself sick with worry and then one day I remember what he once told me - he is doing what he loves, why worry? Easier said than done!

For us - it helps to have placed it in God's hands and say special prayers daily. We have no doubt his guardian angel is protecting him and we are united in spirt. We do whatever it takes to get thru the seperation one day at a time - place his pictures around, keep a candle burning in his window, have bows on trees outside, decorated our Christmas tree in red, white, blue, etc.

As of lately we have are very fortunate. He bought us a webcam before leaving the country and we are able to talk/see him via cam. Christmas Eve, which is also his BD, we all got to sing HB to him via webcam. It was wonderful!!!

If you do a search, there are many military sites for families to console and share stories that may help.

Take care and keep the faith ^i^
~ Sandie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter