How I calculate my DVC value

Bear in mind that where I wanted to stay cost me $87 pp resale in 2007, then a direct add on at $98 pp. My decision was completely emotional. I got off the boat at Boardwalk, roamed around and decided it was the place for me. When I got home I went to the DVC boards and read some posts, badgered then DH into agreeing to the purchase (only with your vacation budget, he said - grumpy) then checked out the timeshare store and lo and behold there was a small contract I could afford right away. I called and made the offer, very little thought, it could have blown up in my face, but I guess I was lucky.:goodvibes
I was staying on cash at the Boardwalk the first time and had no idea it was an actual timeshare. I fell in love immediately and only later found out o could buy a time share there. Bought direct and then added on several times resale. I have stayed at all the resorts except new one and I like them all but BWV is my heart and home away from home. Nothing is even close for me. Never paid more than $77 per point resale so its been a win win

When trying to decide which DVC to choose, I used this method.

{[cost per point x #points per year x #years] + closing cost} = base price. Divide that by [#points per year x #years] to get base price per point.

Base price pp + dues pp (obviously this changes annually so it’s an approximation) = price per point.

Price per point x points required for stay = value of expected stay.

Mix it up for resorts you are interested until you find one that suits your budget and desires!

Example: OKW 75 points ends up at 11.44pp for me, so a studio in adventure season week day is 114.40 per night. POLY may have been 11.23 BUT it requires 15 points so the overall cost is more.

I know some people don’t like to think about it in such great detail, and there’s lots of intangibles, but it helped me make my decision!
I did that too! But I also added a category for how much the points are on the resale market if I sold today just for comparison. Below all that, I also keep a running log of the amount of money saved on annual passes each year.

I really admire those of you that put so much into analyzing your purchase. I’m usually like that for other major expenditures but DVC was different. I purchased a very small AKV contract almost on impulse. At the time, I wanted to get my feet wet, learn the ins and outs of DVC and use the points every other year for a short stay. I didn’t look at UY, or even the dues. It was a small contract that would have disappeared fast, so I pulled the trigger.

Later, I stayed at BWV in a 2BR with my brother and his kids and fell in love with it. Bought a 75 point resale contract thinking we would visit F&W every other year and do a split stay with AKV. I didn’t put a lot of thought into what the price per night was. I only knew that I was never going to go back to stalking discounts again. I added 150 points two years later because we wanted to stay in larger units every year. And finally, another 150 just this year because our daughter loves Disney as much as I do. This makes it possible for her to use the points while not messing with my plans for a GV every 3 years.

In between those BWV addons, I’ve purchased 4 VGF contracts and an AKV add on. I still don’t look at the value in terms of dollars. The value for me is being able to visit my happy place regularly. Having a reservation made at 11 months keeps me looking forward to a trip for almost a year. And having the points to do it again the following year is what makes that long ride to MCO and the flight home bearable. There’s a lot of value in that.

I really admire those of you that put so much into analyzing your purchase. I’m usually like that for other major expenditures but DVC was different. I purchased a very small AKV contract almost on impulse. At the time, I wanted to get my feet wet, learn the ins and outs of DVC and use the points every other year for a short stay. I didn’t look at UY, or even the dues. It was a small contract that would have disappeared fast, so I pulled the trigger.

Later, I stayed at BWV in a 2BR with my brother and his kids and fell in love with it. Bought a 75 point resale contract thinking we would visit F&W every other year and do a split stay with AKV. I didn’t put a lot of thought into what the price per night was. I only knew that I was never going to go back to stalking discounts again. I added 150 points two years later because we wanted to stay in larger units every year. And finally, another 150 just this year because our daughter loves Disney as much as I do. This makes it possible for her to use the points while not messing with my plans for a GV every 3 years.

In between those BWV addons, I’ve purchased 4 VGF contracts and an AKV add on. I still don’t look at the value in terms of dollars. The value for me is being able to visit my happy place regularly. Having a reservation made at 11 months keeps me looking forward to a trip for almost a year. And having the points to do it again the following year is what makes that long ride to MCO and the flight home bearable. There’s a lot of value in that.
There is definitely a lot of value in that! I think my overanalyzing is a way to justify the cost of buying DVC. But at the end of the day, I look forward to having another Disney trip in resorts I could not otherwise justify paying for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter