How has your cable cutting experience been?

OP here: Sounds like we'll have to sacrifice some sports programming, and we're ok with that. We're going to try Youtube live on a trial basis before we make the switch official.

We have unlocked firesticks and tv anntenna for broadcast tv.
When we first cut back We made a log of every channel we watched so I could cut the package back.. then it was still to high so we moved to sling..
Then I found the unlocked firestick and it was free so here we are.
Troypoint.com

I cut the cord in 2013. It's been great.

I turn on and off streaming services per my use case. For local stuff, I either use the YouTube app or my antenna.

We had Hulu Live TV and FuboTV - Finally was able to get ABC on Fubo so got rid of Hulu Live. Also have Netflix. Don't miss cable.

We cut the cord a year and half ago and am enjoying it. I love the flexibility we now have. We subscribe to AT&TNow as our main streaming account (cable channels and local channels except the CW). I also pay 5.00 extra to allow three devices at a time. I gave my mother who lives in town access to our account so she too could cut the cord and save her money. She's on a fixed income, so every penny counts for her. Tmobile gives us Netflix for free. My daughter pays for Disney+ when she wants it. I'll subscribe to Starz when a new season of Outlander comes out and cancel as soon as it's over.

I have not used cable since I moved out of my parents house 14 years ago. We do have Netflix and that price seems to be creeping up a bit, and we also have amazon video with our prime account. For football you can watch the Thursday night games on amazon and the yahoo app shows games on Sundays.
There is also slingtv which gives you an option of channels but it is much cheaper than cable. We recently signed up for that so we could watch the news related to the election. You can cancel it any time so it’s not like cable where you are locked in for a year or two.

We cut the cord a few years ago and have been loving it. Recently switched from YouTubeTV to Hulu Live and I agree that YouTubeTV is probably the best service out there, the rate jumps the last 2 years annoyed me, so we switched. Hulu Live opens up even more on demand from it's normal library and I don't feel as if I'm missing anything. I feel like I have enough sports, but I also don't watch as much as I used to (damn kids). We also have Disney+, Netflix, and Amazon Prime and I feel like I have far more options than I ever did with cable or DirecTV. At times there are too many options and just figuring out which service you want to watch, but overall well worth it.

I saw a video where you could use remove the satellite dish and connect an antennae to the existing wires (since they were already run to the tv's). We did it and it works pretty good, but if there is a home game we are blacked out from it. Between that, Sling, Prime and rotating between HBO, Showtime and Netflix we've been very happy.

Easy.

We use You-Tube TV, also have Prime, Netflix and Disney +. We had Prime and Netflix with Cable too.

We do add and remove add ons with Prime (movie channels, etc.) as needed for tv series we might want, but it's not a complicated process.

We changed our internet to ATT Fiber (excellent service) and combined the bill with our cell phone service.

Overall we are saving over $100 a month from when we had Comcast/Xfinity. :)

I'm following this thread closely. We thought about cutting the cord 2 years ago but the offerings were not mature enough. My cable bill just went up 42% this month. It was $114 and went up to $162 for internet ($76 per month) and Cable TV ($60 per month) with NO premium channels. So, I'm looking to change both internet and finally cut the cord on the cable. We have a Roku TV and a Tivo DVR that can record off the air and NetFlix, Amazon Prime and Disney+.

I'm following this thread closely. We thought about cutting the cord 2 years ago but the offerings were not mature enough. My cable bill just went up 42% this month. It was $114 and went up to $162 for internet ($76 per month) and Cable TV ($60 per month) with NO premium channels. So, I'm looking to change both internet and finally cut the cord on the cable. We have a Roku TV and a Tivo DVR that can record off the air and NetFlix, Amazon Prime and Disney+.

what’s the cable company? Your cable isn’t that much. Your cost is the internet which of course you will still need.

Last edited:
We canceled Dish Network a year ago and haven't looked back. I got tired of jumping through hoops to get a better rate every time our contract expired. We have subscribed to Netflix for years but have added Hulu, Amazon Prime and Locast (for local stations). We save at least $80 a month. I like that I can add and cancel channels monthly without penalty.

We have Hulu, Prime and Netflix. I add HBO Max and Starz to Hulu when there's something coming up.that I want to see (a series like Outlander and Euphoria). I have a large digital collection on VUDU and rent occasionally from there.

One of the things that holds me back are the cloud DVR's. The speed and ease of commercial skipping on a local hard drive DVR couldn't be matched by the YTTV and Hulu DVR's the last time I researched them a year or so ago.

Have they improved? If I remember correctly, they called them "unlimited" but then placed a time limit on recordings (90days?), that was one of the deal breakers for the way we use our DVR.

Another thing I've gotten in the habit of doing is recording a football game and starting to watch it about 90 minutes in. Skip all the commercials, skip half time and use the 30 second skip between plays. Done watching it in just over an hour and all action. Possible with the online services?

what’s the cable company? Your cable isn’t that much. Your cost is the internet which of course you will still need.
I'm with Charter/Spectrum for both. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they will reduce my bill. Internet is very expensive here because there is no competition. Just Charter and AT&T which is not nearly as good. I will change back to AT&T if it saves me enough money. My goal today is to price AT&T internet so I have numbers when I call.

Want to get the 'deal' price again? Take a look around at competitor's offers like DirectTV or whatever is popular in your area and find out current promotions for new customers. Then call your cable and ask what you need to do to end service, they will ask why. Tell them you have an appointment set up in a couple week to switch providers. They'll offer you a better deal :)

Normally I don't play lowballing games but it's self-preservation here. Thru the years with cable, it was shocking when my year contract was up and they'd switch me back to 'normal' pricing. The last time (don't have cable anymore) my bill went from somewhere around $150/month for triple play to $285. We paid that for months before we got around to calling to renegotiate. I don't mind an increase but they get carried away!

Short cut for renegotiating: tell them you're switching.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!