How hard is it to rent a ECV at the parks???

Mickeygolf

DIS Veteran
I've read the faq's page and see you can rent ECV's in the parks but it says they are limited and most are gone by mid-morning. I'm hoping someone here can tell me if that statement is accurate or not.

We have finally talked my father-in-law to use one when we go down next year. He doesn't really need one around the resort because he stays put for the most part. He would like one for the parks so he doesn't slow up the grandkids. He loves Disney, but he realizes he just can't go as fast anymore (he only has about 1/4 lung capacity) and it's killing him. I'm hoping this will be a good solution.

Thanks!

Hi, Mickeygolf!

The FAQ at the top of the page has a list of off-site providers of ECV's and wheelchairs. Everyone pretty much recommends renting from off-site because that way you are sure of having an ECV at the park or if you park hop, you will have it at the resort and Downtown Disney and the ECV's are the much nicer, zippier 3 wheel type.

Hope you have a great trip!

As Figaro said, renting from off-site will allow him to have it all the time. Some of the Resorts have VERY long corridors. Also, ECVs cannot be rented at Downtown Disney. It also helps for the travel between where the monorail/buses/boats let you off and where the on-site rentals are (or between the car and the on-site rentals).

You ask whether it's true that the WDW ECVs are really gone by mid-morning. Yes, they are. As the others have noted, they are not only gone, they are the inferior 4 wheel type that is harder to drive. If someone is relying on renting a WDW ECV, someone else in the party should be prepared to rent a wc and push it the whole day as the ECV may well not be available. In addition, the person in the wc and the pusher should know that the WDW wcs are no picnic -- they are the mesh sling style that is not particularly comfy, esp for older guests, they are not adjustable, and they can be a pain to push as they constructed and maintained for durability, not ease of use or comfort. I personally have had OK luck borrowing from resorts (before I found out about off site rentals) but others have not been as lucky, and once I had to wait 2 days for them to get one for me from another resort.

There is a reason everyone here consistently recommends renting from offsite. It's totally the way to go compared to the WDW ECVs. Plus for the same price (or less depending on the length of rental), you have total mobility anyplace you want to go, not just in the parks.

:wave: Cupcake

The biggest concern about having one for the whole week is getting on and off the buses and moving it into the resort room at night. We're staying at OKW in a Grand Villa and you have to go up a flight of stairs (if we're not lucky enough to get the building with the elevator). This could be very difficult to carry from the description of the ECV's.

He does have some mobility, so we didn't think he would need one for Dowtown Disney or getting around the resort. We really want it for those longer days in the parks.

Any suggestions???

Let them know that you have special needs and they will try to accommodate you.

The EVC's can go on the buses!! They have a lift at the back of the buses. EVC can also travel on the monorail.

and some boats,I think.

Will you have a car?? If so the EVC breaks down to fit in the trunk.

You might be suprised after a day or twos use of a EVC your father-in-law may want one of his own!! They can definitly make life easier and give one a sense of freedom previsiosly lost.

I have asthma and bad knees. I can't do long distances,such as a walk thru walmart to shop for school clothes with a picky teenager!! The EVC I rent offsite at Disneyland, convinced me! I am saving up to get one for myself.

Originally posted by Mickeygolf
The biggest concern about having one for the whole week is getting on and off the buses and moving it into the resort room at night. We're staying at OKW in a Grand Villa and you have to go up a flight of stairs (if we're not lucky enough to get the building with the elevator). This could be very difficult to carry from the description of the ECV's.

He does have some mobility, so we didn't think he would need one for Dowtown Disney or getting around the resort. We really want it for those longer days in the parks.

Any suggestions???
For OKW, there are several choices. One is to request a ground floor entry or to be in the buildings with elevators. I know there is at least one Grand Villa with an entry on ground floor and at least one in the buildings with elevators. Make sure to say that you need this for MEDICAL REASONS. If you are staying on DVC points, you deal directly with Member Services for requests like this. If you are staying thru a regular Disney resort reservation, you can contact WDW Resorts Special Reservations:
(407) 939-7807
(407) 939-7670 [TTY]

Another choice is to not bring the ecv into the room. OKW will allow you to park and plug in the ecv for charging in "Papa's Den" which is the lounge area at the Hospitality House. Then you can just go there every morning to collect. On our last few trips, we have seen ecvs parked there almost every day.

The only boats that ecvs can't travel on are the smaller ones that go some of the MK resorts on the monorail route to the MK. Also, because of water levels, it's sometimes not possible to use the WL/FW boats.

I started using an ECV at WDW by renting one at each WDW park. I rented from Disney for a few trips & learned over time that renting from Disney presented a few "issues:"

*no guarantee the park will have an ECV regardless of time of day; I was at EPCOT Mother's Day 2002 a half hour after the park opened & no ECVs available at either entrance; another time I entered the Studios on an early December afternoon on a weekday & no ECVs available;

*if you want to park hop there is no guarantee of an ECV at the second park;

*four wheels on a Disney ECV vs. three on off site one (at least the ones I have rented from Walker); three wheels gave me a better turning radius;

*battery holds up a whole lot better on the rented ECV vs. the Disney one; I can tell you where in each of the four parks where my Disney ECV "died;"

*if you rent an ECV you will have it every where you want it - the parks, Downtown Disney, other resorts, etc.

My experiences with renting from Walker Mobilitiy have been very good. The ECV has been delivered in a timely manner; the battery has lasted all day & night; the cost is similar to Disney & I have the ECV more than just in the parks; etc. Walker provides a battery charger that I use at night.

Your father-in-law will be surprised how much better he can get around at the resort if he uses an ECV. I have stayed several times at OKW with the rented ECV. It is very easy to manuever the ECV around the resort.

Originally posted by JudithM
My experiences with renting from Walker Mobilitiy have been very good. The ECV has been delivered in a timely manner; the battery has lasted all day & night; the cost is similar to Disney & I have the ECV more than just in the parks; etc. Walker provides a battery charger that I use at night.

I completely agree. We had a wonderful experience with this company and are using them again on our November trip:sunny: . It costs no more to rent offsite and have it 24/7... and not having to worry about whether there will be one available for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter