• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How good is the AC in a pop up?

phillymummer

DIS Veteran
Hello DISers!

As the title states, how good is the AC in a popup camper? Can it get the camper pretty chilly, if the doors and windows stay closed or does it barely offer any relief after a hot day in the park? Might be doing a trip in August and I really want to stay at the fort, but not in a cabin. I would rent a popup from a local place that has been mentioned here before (several times). But if the AC barely offers relief from the sweltering heat and humidity of August then it's not going to happen.

It doesn't really cool off the popup but does drop the humidity and if you set it to blow on the beds it does make sleeping comfortable. If you end up buying a popup then imho an AC is worth the money. Just make sure to get the support kit to the roof. You can also get a heat strip installed and that does actually work fairly well. It will take the chill off when it is in the 40s... I have both in my Utah. Swear by them, they work great. Not the same as my old 27ft travel trailer where you could crank up the AC and get it to snow inside...but it does make a difference in the popup.

It is also important to makes sure the camper is under good tree cover. The sun beating down on the pull outs will kill you... if you can't then get a couple of those Mylar space blankets and put them over the pull outs silvery side up. They help a huge amount.

Good luck, have a great trip.

I've cooled my PUP at the Fort in October when the temps were holding near 90 and the humidity was also around 80% using our 7,000 btu portable AC. I made homemade "gizmos" for my bunks and they really helped A LOT. I'm attaching a photo, and as you can see there wasn't a lot of shade and we kept comfortable staying inside.

100_2597_zps4964750f.jpg

My "gizmos" were made using Reflectix, clear plastic painter cloths, and camping tarps. The tarps allow me to use cords to help secure the "gizmos" and on this trip document clips held them just fine. I sewed the clear plastic to the tarps and made a pocket to hold the Reflectix. This way, I can add additional Reflectix if I think I need to.

I had a pop up for 10 years. I used the pop up covers and you could hang meat inside the camper. I used a Carrier AirV great unit. Camped many times at the Fort with it.

I cannot speak for other Popups but my Fleetwood Bayside will have you turning the air down at night because it will turn the popup into a meat hanger. During the day it keeps the popup comfortable.
Regardless of the type of Popup, if you are spending the day at the parks and only coming back to your popup at night I would be surprised if the AC does not keep your popup at least bearable at night.
Another thing at Disney is the Campground sites have very good shade. This will help in keeping the Pop-up from getting too hot during the day.

We rented a popup last year, in late July, and we were absolutely freezing at night. Like the PP said, a meat freezer!

We took our pup to the Fort last July, and during the day it would drop the inside temp about 15-20 degrees with the gizmos someone mentioned a couple of posts up, and at night it was absolutely freezing, we had to turn it down/off most nights. We were very comfortable in our PUP in July. We also requested a shaded site which helps.

We could keep it 75 degrees inside when it was 105 degrees outside. We used the same tarps that are pictured above with the shiney side out. We also made reflectix inserts for the windows. Reflectix is the stuff at the big home stores that looks like foil covered bubble wrap. You cut it to fit inside the window screening and the canvas. Keeps all the cool air in and reflects the hot sun rays back out. We did the same for the chily fall days, but flipped the tarps covering the bunk ends to shiney side in. Could keep the pop up at 73 degrees inside even when it was in the 30s outside.

Hopefully I can post this link: http://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/...campaign=cgo&gclid=CNDyvfXo4bkCFcwWMgod5xIA3A

This is the kind of tarp I a referring to. They are nice and heavy duty. They already have groment holes on the ends s you can use bungee cords to keep them in place. The flimsy Walmart emergency blankets are too thin and will get caught and blown off by the wind.

We have a Coleman Bayside and use the Popup Gizmo's on the wings. We have done Florida in the summer about four times, and yes we have to turn the air conditioner down at night. When the sun is beating down on the bunk ends, if you reach up to touch the canvas without the Gizmos on, you can hardly touch it. With them on, you can feel very little outside heat.

Nov 1975 FW 500 Loop 3 Nights......Jun 1977 Off-Property 5 Nights.....Jul 1993 Off-Property 7 Nights
Jul 1995 Dixie Landings 7 Nights.....Jul 2003 FW 1400 Loop 7 Nights.....Jun 2006 DL Off-property 7 Nights
Jul 2006 FW 900 Loop 12 Nights......Jul 2009 FW 1300 Loop 14 Nights....Mar 2010 DL Paradise Pier 8 Nights
Mar 2011 FW 1300 Loop 11 Nights....Mar 2013 FW 1300 Loop 10 Nights....tba..Mar 2014 FW

***2008 Chevy Express Conversion Van / 2007 Coleman Bayside***

We used www.FortCamperRental.com last month and the air conditioner had me using cover at night. We were too busy to be there much during the day, but our site was shady, so it probably would have been fine.

We were just there in August in our popup and also used Reflectix to make our own bunk covers. Most of the time, we ran the AC on low and if it was on high, I need an extra blanket to sleep. Every morning I went outside with a hot cup of coffee to warm up!

My Pop-up a/c would barely keep the camper cool on very hot days. Never had any problems at night but mine had bunk fans too. I had planned on getting the gizmos/covers but traded for a bigger camper instead. If you're keeping you camper definitely get bunk covers of some type.

we have a PUP and use POPUP Gizmos - with the A/C on at night my family sleeps under comforters because they say I freeze them out!!! Never had a problem with the A/C working.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter