How good are stair climbers for people with low leg balance?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
My mom and I are considering buying a stair climber for my dad so he can practice his balance and I would like to know if anyone has used them before when you practiced leg balance before and would it help my father a lot in his balance? The only type of stair climbers i've seen are the ones like Jane Fonda used to sell in the 80's and The Step that was sold in the 90's. Mom found one at Office Max and was curious to learn more about stair climbers before buying one for Dad. Also is there such things as motorized stair climbers too? Because I noticed that Jeremy Renner used one to practice walking and I'm wondering if one of those types of stair climbers might work for Dad as well?
Dodger

Hi Dodger — I suggest your Mom ask Dad’s physical therapist about a stair climber for home. Does he use one at PT? Would he need a “spotter” if using one at home? If so are either you or mom able to be trained how to help and more so will that person have the time to spend with Dad while he exercises?

I agree with lanejudy.
I used a stair climber a few times when we belonged to a gym. They are used mostly for endurance and not for developing balance - in fact, it seemed to me that it could/would be dangerous for someone with poor balance to use.
Hospitals mostly use actual steps to practice going up and down with a therapist using a gait belt

So my mom and I might have to look into getting a gait belt for my dad in place of a stair climber? That would work just as good because when my mom tried to look into buying a stair climber for Dad most of them were expensive. But my dad can walk a lot better but is still very weak on balance and he wants to show my mom and I that he can do things by himself but certain things like taking the garbage out my mom helps and guides Dad with as a spotter
Thanks for the advice it was very helpful to me,
Dodger

Mom ordered my dad's stair climber today and it's coming soon but my mom and I found a gait belt that my dad got when he first had his appendix out and it will work on him once the stair climber arrives. My father wants to be independent but he really is getting better. In fact when I get up in the mornings Dad likes to practice his walking by dancing to music when my mom puts on Pandora when she's making my bed and it's so funny to see

Dad got his stair climber yesterday and he LOVES it and Dad can actually use it very well and he just places his walker behind it and he can really move. When my dad demonstrated his stair climber for me I was so proud of him and so was Mom. Dad is gonna see the doctor Monday and i'm sure the doctor will be pleased with Dad's progress

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter