How full is the ship on Nassau port day?

The pushy vendors, the "shack" like area right after you get out of the enclosed port area, the debris laying about. Perhaps if we had gone on a Disney sponsored tour we would have had a different impression. :confused3

Not sure Disney really "sponsors" tours. With a few exception that may be exclusive to Disney (I think I heard the Greycliff chocolate excursion was exclusive to Disney but I don't know if that's true), cruise lines usually use the same operators. I've been on excursions with groups of people from different ships and cruise lines.

Not sure Disney really "sponsors" tours. With a few exception that may be exclusive to Disney (I think I heard the Greycliff chocolate excursion was exclusive to Disney but I don't know if that's true), cruise lines usually use the same operators. I've been on excursions with groups of people from different ships and cruise lines.

We don't generally do excursions unless we are cruising to a location that is entirely new to us, but I do know that DCL has some exclusive offerings at times. On our Alaskan cruise we did the Deadliest Catch excursion which DID include folks from other ships in port that day. But our favorite part of that excursion ended up being a DCL excursion "add-on" to have a fresh crab dinner with the crew of the boat. There were only about a half dozen couples that did this DCL option and it was a wonderful, informal time for Q & A's with the crew. Fascinating stuff! And the crab absolutely melted in our mouth! Best I have ever, ever had! Mmmmm.

I know there was a very special DCL exclusive excursion on the 2012 Hawaii cruises for any DVC Members onboard to tour Aulani as a DCL Shore Adventure to check out the brand new Disney/DVC resort. AND that one was at NO charge for members and their families! I know because I got to go!! :woohoo:

I have never been a fan of the straw market right outside the Nassau port. We did the junkanoo and fort tour once and enjoyed it. We have on occasion braved out past the straw market into the general city just to check out the local shops, but once and done was about it. On our next cruise, we were talking about skipping the port altogether.

I was wondering, what can you do in Nassau if you do not book an excursion? I've never been on a cruise, so totally clueless!!

Understanding that Nassau is a developing area (read as 'not your average American city' for cleanliness, infrastructure and whatnot), you can do some great shopping in Nassau. DW stocks up on her cosmetics in John Bull (a store on Bay Street) which sells her preferred brands. Don't ask which brands, I've no idea :). The prices for watches (in a moment of hilarity, we both got each other new Citizen watches on the sly for over 1/2 what we'd pay in the States), perfumes and to a lesser extent, liquor are quite good. Jewelry is hit and miss. I got DW some smashing pearl earrings and diamond ring there, but was underwhelmed with the other precious gem related jewelry for sale.

This time we're going to catch a cab and hit a few local art stores to see what's available. Then we'll hit John Bull and the rest of Bay Street.

If you're unused to life outside the contiguous US, Nassau and other developing countries can be intimidating. I served all my adult life in the US Navy, so I've been to far worse than Nassau. It's really not that bad. It's not fantastic by any means, either.

On the Dream in 2016 we got off, went to the Pirate museum (my son was with us) and the Hard Rock and got back on by 11. Then we had a 45 minute wait for the AquaDuck.
Last summer my husband and I did a 3 night on the Fantasy. We planned from the get go to not get off the ship. We ate at 7, hit the rainforest at about 8 for an hour or so, spent a LOT of time in the adult pool (not too crowded, much better than the other pools) and later did a mixology class.
This summer on the 4 night dream we will stay on the ship again but add a Palo brunch it it is open on Nassau day (it was in 2016) since it is our anniversary. I just don't see anything there we need to do...esp. since this one is a CC double dip so beach time is covered.

On the Dream in 2016 we got off, went to the Pirate museum (my son was with us) and the Hard Rock and got back on by 11. Then we had a 45 minute wait for the AquaDuck.
Last summer my husband and I did a 3 night on the Fantasy. We planned from the get go to not get off the ship. We ate at 7, hit the rainforest at about 8 for an hour or so, spent a LOT of time in the adult pool (not too crowded, much better than the other pools) and later did a mixology class.
This summer on the 4 night dream we will stay on the ship again but add a Palo brunch it it is open on Nassau day (it was in 2016) since it is our anniversary. I just don't see anything there we need to do...esp. since this one is a CC double dip so beach time is covered.

I am 99% sure that Palo brunch is only offered on Nassau day for the THREE night cruises. The four night ones have a sea day which is when brunch will be.

We did a 3 night cruise in November and stayed in the ship on the Nassau day. We got up early and were at the Aquaduck for opening and rode a few times until the line got long and enjoyed the pool area. Once it got busy we headed inside and did the detective game and then watched a movie. We made it our sea day to give us time to enjoy as much of the ship as we could since we planned to get off at Castaway Cay the following day.

I am 99% sure that Palo brunch is only offered on Nassau day for the THREE night cruises. The four night ones have a sea day which is when brunch will be.
The thing is, there is no sea day. It's a CC double dip. I keep meaning to find a navigator online from someone who has done a double dip and see if there is Palo on Nassau day.

The thing is, there is no sea day. It's a CC double dip. I keep meaning to find a navigator online from someone who has done a double dip and see if there is Palo on Nassau day.

I asked about it for a 4-night double dip and was told it is the second Castaway day. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter