How fireworks effect vets

Green Joe

Earning My Ears
I thought I should post this question here, maybe someone will have a thought to share on this topic. A friend is going to Disney for the first time but since serving in Iraq he is not fond of fireworks. For obvious reasons I might add. Any of you have this same effect from the Disney fireworks? Or are they different than the at home 4th of July shows? Any advice? Just so you know this man has seeked help after his return. Thanks

I can not speak from a standpoint of having fought in a war, but I do think they are similar, if not bigger, than many displays at home. But that being said, I do not think they are louder, especially if you are far from the castle on Main Street.

Without doubt, stay away from behind the castle (Fantasyland), as at this point, you feel as if the fireworks are right on top of you.

Other options might be to watch the fireworks from the beach at the Polynesian or from another resort (a different effect, but maybe better?) or to ride the rides that are absolutely deserted during the fireworks.

Thank you to your friend for his service! I

My husband's deployments has completely changed alot of things about him. One thing is his enjoyment of fireworks. We do not do fireworks shows and he has really had to work when he hears the neighborhood kids shooting off things.

However, apparently the fireworks at Disney is different because it's not as loud and the music offsets the fireworks noise. I also understand just giving him alot of advance notice of fireworks helps him prepare himself. We do stand closer to the front of Magic Kingdom almost near the gates instead of down in the thick of things because the rush on people afterward is it's own challenge now a days.

OP, I'm glad your friend has been seeking help. I understand the change it can have on a life. Your friend is a hero for his work but especially for his wanting to work it out afterward.

I can not speak from a standpoint of having fought in a war, but I do think they are similar, if not bigger, than many displays at home. But that being said, I do not think they are louder, especially if you are far from the castle on Main Street.

Without doubt, stay away from behind the castle (Fantasyland), as at this point, you feel as if the fireworks are right on top of you.

Other options might be to watch the fireworks from the beach at the Polynesian or from another resort (a different effect, but maybe better?) or to ride the rides that are absolutely deserted during the fireworks.

Thank you to your friend for his service! I

There are a few restaurants where you can watch the fireworks from as well. California Grill at the CR is one. If you check out the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies board, people are always asking about places other than main street to watch the fireworks from, so you may be able to get some ideas there.

Thank you all for your responses. Do you all think that because Disney adds loud music during it's show this will detract from the war zone feelings? Would he enjoy Epcot's Illuminations with the story line being told? Guess we will have to find out the hard way, just wondering if any Veterans would share their experiences so this family can be prepared for anything. Seeing going to Disney was my idea I'd like to help avoid his pain. I booked this trip forgetting all about the fact that he doesn't do fireworks. I remember being told that an autistic child said her first words at Disney. I'm hoping this will be a "moment" where our soldier can experience something he never thought he could do again.

maybe earplugs? maybe seeing the castle with beautiful lights- think of it that way- he would avoid the noise? :hug:

I asked my Dh this during the 4th of July (he had just returned from a 12+ month deployment)... he said they did not bother him at all. Even the loud ones. As I read here - others react differently.

I like the suggestion of others in watching the further away... not so sure about the earplugs. We went in Feb during DH's R&R and he didn't react negatively to any of the fireworks shows and we went to all of them. In fact, I am the one in the family who dislikes the fireworks and I have never been deployed... he enjoys them. For him, he is able to separate fireworks from what he experienced in Iraq. But everyone is different.

Best of luck to your friend in figuring out what will work.

I am a 3 tour veteran of Viet-Nam and I do not do fireworks except for Disney. Disney's are not loud and they do not use mortar type fireworks with bright lights and explosions. I also tend to keep some distance from the castle and often do the dessert party and view them from the side of the castle. I do not think it will be a problem but hold on to him tight and see how he reacts. Good luck!

I am a 3 tour veteran of Viet-Nam and I do not do fireworks except for Disney. Disney's are not loud and they do not use mortar type fireworks with bright lights and explosions. I also tend to keep some distance from the castle and often do the dessert party and view them from the side of the castle. I do not think it will be a problem but hold on to him tight and see how he reacts. Good luck!

Thank you, I guess I needed to hear from someone who understands. I can say I understand but unless I walk in his shoes I only think I understand. I'm hoping for Disney magic!

The EPCOT fireworks may be the worse from this standpoint. They are fired off from all around the lagoon, from behind where all the people are standing. So in effect, the fireworks go right over everyones heads, no matter where you stand. Also some are fired off from right in front of you on the shoreline.

Its a feeling of being right in the middle of all the action. May be too much. Its also really loud. Music & fireworks.

The EPCOT fireworks may be the worse from this standpoint. They are fired off from all around the lagoon, from behind where all the people are standing. So in effect, the fireworks go right over everyones heads, no matter where you stand. Also some are fired off from right in front of you on the shoreline.

Its a feeling of being right in the middle of all the action. May be too much. Its also really loud. Music & fireworks.

I have to agree, I thought that would be the biggest problem in all of the different worlds.

Fireworks are bad for my husband, very bad. I'd recommend Cali Grill or Ohana's, you can watch them without hearing them, and the noise seems to be the biggest issue for my DH. We watched them right after his 1st deployment and it was heartbreaking and we were in the middle of the Magic Kingdom, not a moment I'd ever want to do again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter