How far in advance do you start packing?

I do just about all of the packing and planning, and I love to plan our trips. So packing "early-ish", for me, is just part of the planning.
And if I get a jump on it 3 weeks or so out, then it's one way (for me, anyhow) to know that our trip is getting closer.

We're going in June, and we will pack probably a day or two before we leave. Everyone in my house packs their own things, although one of us looks through the kids' clothes to see make sure they have what they need. It takes an hour or so, at most. We drive, so we have plenty of room, and if we forget something important, we can stop somewhere on the way (15-hour drive).

As far as toiletries, shower gel, etc., those things go in big ziploc bags as we each shower and get ready that morning (or night before, if someone wants to shower then). Use it then put it in a bag instead of putting it away.

Last edited:
One time I packed a week early.

Last year I packed 3 hours before leaving to airport

My husband and I were just talking about this. We leave in 9 days and I got the suitcases out this morning, and have been doing laundry all day. Of course part of the reason is I don't want to go back out in the cold but still want to stay busy. Very interesting to see the variance in packing times for everyone.

We went in the summer so there was no issue of wondering what the weather would be like. We started packing about a week out. As I did laundry and came to something I wanted to pack, I just threw it in the suitcase. That way, the day before our trip, instead of rushing around trying to pack everything etc... was much more relaxing. We loaded the car up the night before, threw in our overnight bag that morning and done.

I usually start packing for myself and the kids (all five of them) about a week and a half out just to get everything organized. DH packs his suitcase the night before :laughing:.

I try to get everything organized and sort of a checklist going a couple of weeks out. Buy any last minute items a week out. And try to keep myself from packing more than 2-3 days out... TRY is the key word haha

I have found the earlier I pack for a trip, the more I overpack. I usually start making lists a couple weeks out from a trip, but then don't actually pack the suitcase until the day before.

Thinking I will get the suitcase out next Friday 8-) we leave in 12 days. Probably just throw in odds and ends then pack 2-3 days before when we have a better picture of the weather. :upsidedow

My trip isn't until May, and I have already started. Maybe not actually packing, but I am collecting things that I know we will bring, especially things we won't use until then.

I start packing as soon as I book the flights. Usually little things that I tend to forget like goggles, bonine, the fishing net for the beach, sun hats, whatever. My small suitcase is always in my closet just waiting to be filled for Orlando trips.

We have 3 weeks to go and I'm already getting antsy to start packing! Just curious when everyone else starts packing so I know if I'm totally crazy or not :)

I usually start getting my toiletries together a week or so before so that I will have time to add to the bag in case I leave something out. I pack my clothes the day before.

I started packing last week for our trip in two weeks. I started one bag for snacks and ponchos, etc. The kids' outfits are in ziplock bags, but I can't put in the socks and underwear yet because we don't have too many extras. I'm planning on the kids, 2 and 5, wearing tshirts and leggings with a sweatshirt for night and morning. I've started pulling clothes for me but still waiting to see what weather will be. My husband will pack two nights before and ask me a million annoying questions about what to wear, what we're doing, where we are eating...even though I've already told him.

Yesterday he asked me where we were staying. The resort has been booked since August.
Hahahahah- sounds familiar! My husband will usually forget an essential like T shirts or a sweatshirt;)

We are leaving in about three weeks too. I usually pack about a week ahead, but we usually go in May or the fall. This year because the trip is in March the weather in FL is very different from the weather here in PA that I've already started.

Last edited:
We have 3 weeks to go and I'm already getting antsy to start packing! Just curious when everyone else starts packing so I know if I'm totally crazy or not :)
Not AT ALL

I usually start packing at least 2-3 weeks before, especially to do a test run, make sure everything fits in the bag I wanted to take, pack it all up, then unpack the stuff I might need. No matter how hard I try, I always end up jamming more makeup/toiletries in last minute, but whatever

When I have frequent trips to Disney, I usually keep my park bag inside my backpack, with things like, magic bands, travel q tips, make up wipes, pins, cm thank you cars, etc. The stuff I'll never use at home but will at Disney

We leave in 1.5 weeks and I started packing last week. We are in MI so no need for short sleeved shirts right now! I started gathering things we won't be using and putting them in a suitcase. I don't want to forget anything. I have a list and as I purchase the items we need I put them in etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!