How early should I get to the park for rope drop?

Rebecca Pocahontas

Mouseketeer
This is my first Disneyland visit and I want to be able to get to the park for rope drop. I am going in mid-August. When I go to WDW in Florida I normally get to the park about 45 before it opens, this lets me get through security and get in line with about 30 minutes until the park actually opens. What would you all suggest for Disneyland? Is it about the same? I would like to be pretty close to the front of the line because that is just how I always do it at WDW. No matter which park I go to in Florida there always seems to be about 50 people ahead of me once I get there.

making my first DLR trip early next year too, so I'd be interested in hearing expert opinions

45 minutes is usually pretty good, although we normally do an hour because we like being right at the front.

Are you going for early entry or for regular entry? If regular entry, are you going to a park that has early entry that day or not?

45 minutes is usually pretty good, although we normally do an hour because we like being right at the front.

Are you going for early entry or for regular entry? If regular entry, are you going to a park that has early entry that day or not?
We are going to the parks when there is not early entry or magic hours. I think the park opening hours are 9 am for both DL and DCA

We shoot for an hour before park opening and are still never even close to being first in line. We try to get there at that time so we can be as close to the rope as possible.

If you get there an hour before you will be in the front of the pack but maybe not the very front, depending on the day. But there is a point of diminishing returns so you have to ask yourself how much misery do you want to endure by getting up before dawn, getting the family ready, fed and there that early. And if you need to take the tram there your journey will be even more miserable. We tend to get there about 30 or 20 minutes before everyone is allowed in before rope drop and we are back a little ways back but less stressed than many of those in front of us.

Also you need to ask yourself why do you want to be at the front of the line? Do you want to be the first person on Peter Pan that day? (Peter Pan is still the highest draw at Disneyland, until Star Wars opens) If that is the case, even if you are at the front of the line for rope drop at Fantasy Land, when they drop that rope you often have a pack of people (behind you) who act like savage zombies who will take off running as if their life depends on being first on Peter Pan. So you will have to contend with those special people.

Or do you just want to get to Peter Pan, or any other ride, and walk on without having to wait hardly any time. If that is the case, you don't really need to get there an hour before rope drop. Spend some extra time in bed and go to get some coffee before you get in line. Be early, but not fanatical.

But I understand if you have never been to Disneyland or not been in a long time or you just want to be first for the sake of being first. I can appreciate that but if some reason that doesn't work out, just know everything will be fine. Also know that Indian Jones breaks down constantly so if it is available early on, you should probably ride it sooner rather than later. Also know the first 2 hours after rope drop is when you get to ride the attractions at Disneyland. After that the masses show up and you will need to use fast passes for everything. Or wait in lines for long periods of time.

Over the last few years it seems as though more people are getting there earlier. Our first visit in 2013 and second in 2015 we were consistently at the front of the lines. But lately, even if we get there at the same time, there are more people there ahead of us. We still get in pretty quickly, but the lines are way longer than they had been (of course, for our last trip, 9:00 park openings on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday may have been contributing factors. Normally, we're used to 8:00 in the summer).

I get there about 30-45 minutes early and am back to the monorail track. We are there a lot with our APs, all times of the year. To be near the front of the line you would have to get there about 90 minutes before the gates open. Honestly, not worth it. Getting there when we do, no matter the time of year, we have no issues getting on rides with little to no wait for the first few hours. It would be better to shell out for MaxPass, hit Peter Pan and Fantasyland first and just MaxPass the other rides.

We’ve been leaving Grand Legacy 30 minutes before opening and not had any problems including today a Tuesday Magic Morning. Security lines on Harbor have been light since we arrived on Sunday.

Over the last few years it seems as though more people are getting there earlier. Our first visit in 2013 and second in 2015 we were consistently at the front of the lines. But lately, even if we get there at the same time, there are more people there ahead of us. We still get in pretty quickly, but the lines are way longer than they had been (of course, for our last trip, 9:00 park openings on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday may have been contributing factors. Normally, we're used to 8:00 in the summer).

Yeah, those 9 AM Saturdays are confusing me. They were 8 AM last summer. The first 8 AM Saturday is August 18th.

At Disneyland: 45 minutes seems to work well for us on non MM days. We aren't at the front of the turnstile lines at all, but by the time the crowds spread out to the ropes at the different lands we are near the rope and I think that is good enough. I really don't think being literally at the rope makes much of a difference unless you are trying to get on Peter Pan. However, being first on Peter Pan is nearly impossible no matter how hard you try. We've been at the rope twice recently and still had to wait about 15-20 minutes at Peter Pan because so many other people are faster than we are, and I thought we were pretty fast.

I think 45 is probably also good for MM days, but I would start at either Adventureland or Frontierland because those lands aren't open to MM guests.

At DCA: It does't seem to matter quite as much to our family so we don't always make an effort.

With an early opening, like 8:00 am an hour early always gets us to the front of the line. With later openings, especially 10:00 am, an hour isn’t enough.

At what time does security let you through? I seem to remember going early but getting stuck at security.

With an early opening, like 8:00 am an hour early always gets us to the front of the line. With later openings, especially 10:00 am, an hour isn’t enough.
I have been worried about these late openings in sept (park hours not up yet but based on previous years we are looking at 10 am open). What is your suggestion for those late mornings?

I have been worried about these late openings in sept (park hours not up yet but based on previous years we are looking at 10 am open). What is your suggestion for those late mornings?
Just get there as early as you can and maybe grab breakfast at DTD or something so you’re through security well before everyone else is showing up. Then try to get in line for the park very early, too. Recognize that there won’t be the couple of hours of “light” crowds that you get with an 8am opening; it will be crowded right away, so plan accordingly with your expectations of how many rides you’ll do (or stick to FP/Maxpass as much as possible).

Just get there as early as you can and maybe grab breakfast at DTD or something so you’re through security well before everyone else is showing up. Then try to get in line for the park very early, too. Recognize that there won’t be the couple of hours of “light” crowds that you get with an 8am opening; it will be crowded right away, so plan accordingly with your expectations of how many rides you’ll do (or stick to FP/Maxpass as much as possible).
Definitely a bummer about not having that early low crowds time. We have little ones so they get up early and I guess we will just head on over!

A minimum of an hour. More, during Summer. Your early patience will always be rewarded. The first few golden hours are always worth it.

During Disneyland’s 60th, I’d make sure I was at the gate of the park that didn’t have Early Magic hours AT LEAST an hour early, which helped me be at the front for rope drop, and that usually helped set my day.

This doesn’t always occur, but if you are in the parks early enough in the day, you can get enough done to take a break in the late afternoon, go back to your hotel to rest, and re-enter the parks after dark when they are cooler.

But, I’m a solo adult guest. Your mileage may vary (YMMV).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter