How early do I need to be for rope drop?

lilmc

DIS Veteran
Our trip is to DLP is imminent and we will be there for runDisney races next week, so expecting huge crowds. Early Magic Time starts at 8:30 on Thursday and we’re planning on going straight to Crush’s Coaster. How early for rope drop do we need to be?

I was there in August during a high attendance day. They let guests in the park earlier than 8:30, but we could go just up to the castle. Then at 8:30 they let us in Fantasyland.
There were maybe 50 people. I would not stress it too much, arriving just a few minutes before 8:30 should be fine.
The only priority attraction during the extra time is the Princess Pavillion, then Peter Pan. Other attractions should have nominal wait until park opening.

It is hard to predict, as the races start from Friday, it is unclear how many people will be there already Thursday morning.

European runners probably won't stay much longer than the races, maybe added a day after the races. Asian and American runners with a longer travel time might already be at DLP on Wednesday to overcome jetlag. This my guess, we will arrive Friday from NL & BE.

Also now that both parks have extra Magic hours make that the crowds spread more, than previous runweekends.
I do think you can't really compare this weekend with an average busy Summer day, as Asian and Americans treat this more as a once in a life time trip. They will get up early for EMH, in contrast with regular Summer crowds.

It is a weekday = less school kids and locals, so I don't expect huge crowds. I would do max 30 minutes?

I’m also at a loss without a Touring Plan....Crush’s Coaster, then RnR, then Ratatouille?

I’m also at a loss without a Touring Plan....Crush’s Coaster, then RnR, then Ratatouille?

I think first Crush, Ratatouille and then RnR. Rnr is on the other side of the park from Crush, while Ratatouille is almost next door. At EMH I wouldn't go criss-cross through the park. Do the 2 most popular rides first.

We're off to the races as well, and were there last year as well. The Saturday and Sunday were busy, but the Friday seemed pretty quiet in the parks.

When we were there on a busy summer day in August, we got to Studios at about 8:10-8:15 and there was 3 lines, with about 30 or so people in each. It grew very quickly after that though.

We made our way to Crush's (brisk walk, didn't run ahead of people) and I'd say we were about 60 or so people back from the front.

So I'd recommend to get into line no later than 8:15

Obviously there are no guarantees but going by the past two years the Friday was very quiet (I wasn't there on the Thursday but assume it was similar). Ratatouille for example was a walk on a one point after lunch on Friday. Crush, however, always seems to have a big line regardless so that would be my priority followed by the other two. I'd probably do Crush followed by Ratatouille so you can see the whole queue line. You then should be able to ride again later using single rider if you wanted to.

Saturday and Sunday were much busier not surprisingly. On Saturday evening small world was about 40 minutes, however we managed to get a couple of walk on rides of Pirates just before park closing.

We usually do rope drop for extra magic hours and always head to crush’s coaster. Normally we are on one of the first few cars. We get to the first gate no later than 8 when they let you into the area in front of the studios or Disneyland hotel. We get straight in the queue for the studios - they open all the gates usually so don’t just get behind some people queuing, spread out. They then let you in around 8.10/8.15 and people will run to the rides. We usually get off crush and there’s an hour wait, we walk to ratatouille, toy story land and tower of terror and have them done by 10.

Our trip is to DLP is imminent and we will be there for runDisney races next week, so expecting huge crowds. Early Magic Time starts at 8:30 on Thursday and we’re planning on going straight to Crush’s Coaster. How early for rope drop do we need to be?

I was curious, how did your EMH adventures go?

I was curious, how did your EMH adventures go?

The short version is well. We rode Crush’s Coaster twice, Ratatouille twice, Tower of Terror (only once or Little’s complain), and Rockin Roller coaster twice all before 10:30.

As usual, real life is not so simple. Starbucks app said they opened at 7. Walk in at 7:15 to an empty store and surprised employees. They’re not open yet, unclear as to why the door was unlocked. They were kind enough to let us sit inside out of the cold and rain until they did open at 7:30. They locked to door at that point though, much to confusion of later patrons who had to wait in the rain while we were warm and snuggly. Get to the gate by 7:45ish. We’re the only ones. Is this right?? The app said there were EMH that day in the Studios, but the runDisney Event Guide said there wasn’t, so I had assumed the app was correct, but now I’m doubting myself. I rope drop as a rule, but have never actually been first and the only one in line. We shelter down from the rain under the awning of World of Disney and a few ladies join us. A look at one of their feet reveals very cute Mickey tattoos on her foot. Aha!!! My point of contact! This lady is going to know what’s up! We strike up a conversation and sure enough, she knows everything I need. She notices that they don’t open the gate like they should and people are arriving from the Parc side of the gate, so we leave our shelter and go around the gate. We queue with all the other arriving EMH’ers but instead of the turnstiles opening at 8:10-15 as predicted, 8:30 comes and goes. Computer glitch. They don’t know when or if they’re going to be able to open the park. Really? It’s pouring freezing rain at this point and if I’m going to lose rope drop, then I could have gone to DLP....decisions....leave or stay?? We decided to stay and thrankfully they open just minutes later. My youngest is shivering and sick of standing still for so long, so once through the turnstile, she bolts! The result of chasing her down in the rain equals third shell of the day on Crush’s, so I’ll take it!! Nice Mickey tattoo lady told us if when we got off the line was less than 25 minutes, to get back in line. It was 15 so we did. Great advice!! She also confirmed Ratatouile was next on adgenda and pointed us in the right discretion. Woohoo! Love friendly Disney-philes!

The short version is well. We rode Crush’s Coaster twice, Ratatouille twice, Tower of Terror (only once or Little’s complain), and Rockin Roller coaster twice all before 10:30.

As usual, real life is not so simple. Starbucks app said they opened at 7. Walk in at 7:15 to an empty store and surprised employees. They’re not open yet, unclear as to why the door was unlocked. They were kind enough to let us sit inside out of the cold and rain until they did open at 7:30. They locked to door at that point though, much to confusion of later patrons who had to wait in the rain while we were warm and snuggly. Get to the gate by 7:45ish. We’re the only ones. Is this right?? The app said there were EMH that day in the Studios, but the runDisney Event Guide said there wasn’t, so I had assumed the app was correct, but now I’m doubting myself. I rope drop as a rule, but have never actually been first and the only one in line. We shelter down from the rain under the awning of World of Disney and a few ladies join us. A look at one of their feet reveals very cute Mickey tattoos on her foot. Aha!!! My point of contact! This lady is going to know what’s up! We strike up a conversation and sure enough, she knows everything I need. She notices that they don’t open the gate like they should and people are arriving from the Parc side of the gate, so we leave our shelter and go around the gate. We queue with all the other arriving EMH’ers but instead of the turnstiles opening at 8:10-15 as predicted, 8:30 comes and goes. Computer glitch. They don’t know when or if they’re going to be able to open the park. Really? It’s pouring freezing rain at this point and if I’m going to lose rope drop, then I could have gone to DLP....decisions....leave or stay?? We decided to stay and thrankfully they open just minutes later. My youngest is shivering and sick of standing still for so long, so once through the turnstile, she bolts! The result of chasing her down in the rain equals third shell of the day on Crush’s, so I’ll take it!! Nice Mickey tattoo lady told us if when we got off the line was less than 25 minutes, to get back in line. It was 15 so we did. Great advice!! She also confirmed Ratatouile was next on adgenda and pointed us in the right discretion. Woohoo! Love friendly Disney-philes!

That's a great morning! :D Good score!
My weirdest EMH experience was last year. When security refused to let AP holders in for the EMH, he claimed they were never allowed, they will be never allowed and he was not going to let us in. We showed him the benefits online and in the booklet one of the other people had with them. Still nothing. Not sure what changed, but all of a sudden he lets us through security and into the crowd with all the hotel guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!