How does transferring points work?

Babsy

DIS Veteran
Hello,

Considering staying DVC by renting points or having points transferred to my son's DVC. I think I understand renting points, but how does it work if you have points transferred to another DVC owner?

Thank you,
Babs

As a DVC owner, at times I’ve needed extra points for family reunions or special occasions. Rather than renting points, I prefer transfer points, because though I never see them appear in my account, I can call MS, book the reservation I want and then that shows on my dashboard. A rented reservation never does, it stays with that owner. You’re only allowed one transfer per use year, per contract, so typically for a transfer you would pick up all of the points an owner is getting rid of, rather than when renting it’s only the exact amount of points needed for the reservation. I can cancel or modify the reservation, something I’m unable to do with rented points. Rented points are entirely controlled by the owner, not the renter.

We have rented points from my DSIL a few times. We have always had separate reservation using our points. Plus my DSIL makes a second reservation using her points for us by doing a three way call to MS so we can both ask MS to annotate both reservations as a continuous stay. We check with the front desk that we can stay in the same room. We still need to check out of the first reservation and check in on the second one. But so far we have never had to change rooms.

Unless you really need to combine the points for a single reservation, I don't see the need to transfer points that you cannot even see on your DVC account or Dashboard.

Technically you are not supposed to rent transferred points although it is often done without telling MS.
From the Home Resort Rules and Regulations -
  1. Club Members are expressly prohibited from receiving compensation for engaging in any Transfer activity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter