How does trading work?

People typically do not trade. If you are looking for points at a particular resort to get the 11 month advantage then you could look for a member who is offering points for a transfer. Then to offset the cost you could rent out your points or yourself offer your points for a transfer. It would be real tough to work out a fair trade as someone who owns BC points probably wouldn't care to have your AK points -- as an example.

Then to offset the cost you could... offer your points for a transfer.

But be aware that you are only allowed one transfer per year, either in or out. So if you transfer points in to get the home resort priority, you would have to transfer out of a different UY.

If you are close, trusted friends, you could transfer points on one side and have the other make a reservation.

But as stated, in most cases, booking a reservation at your resort for someone and them booking a stay for you raises the risk of who gets to travel first (as both would still control the reservation at their home resort until check in.) And a GFV owner may not be willing to trade their points with my OKW points on a 1 to 1 basis... so turning your pts into cash by renting them and renting a stay that you prefer is more common.

But it all goes back to buying where you want to stay. If you want to try a trade online at 7 months out, you can give it a shot - but if it fails, you still have a reservation that you are happy with.

I'm curious about this too. I know from the brokers you can't rent points, but only reservations. Can you rent points from individuals if you are a DVC owner by having them transfer the points to your account for cash?

I'm curious about this too. I know from the brokers you can't rent points, but only reservations. Can you rent points from individuals if you are a DVC owner by having them transfer the points to your account for cash?
Technically speaking no as DVC expressly forbids payment for transferred points. However, people do this on the DIS all the time in the rent boards.

Yes

(1 - but don't call it renting points because most people associate that language with renting a stay (which would mean that you would not have control of the points or reservation until check in) - better to call it a "transfer." A transfer will give you control over the points and any reservations made with the points.)

(2 - Don't(!) mention cash to MS. Your contract states that members are prohibited from receiving compensation for transfers. Keep it on the down low.)

Disney has to know that people do cash transfers for point transfers, right?

Disney has to know that people do cash transfers for point transfers, right?

Of course.

The theory is that if things go south, Disney has no interest in acting as a referee. So you should understand that if you transfer points for cash, you are on your own.

I saw under the “rent/trade” board that someone was proposing a trade. I just was wondering how it would work. The honor system? I don’t have my membership yet (in ROFR), so I am not familiar with the dvc member website for booking.

Hypothetically, if I owned at GCV, it sounds like I could have my pick of reservations if trading was an option?

Thanks!!

I saw under the “rent/trade” board that someone was proposing a trade. I just was wondering how it would work. The honor system? I don’t have my membership yet (in ROFR), so I am not familiar with the dvc member website for booking.

Hypothetically, if I owned at GCV, it sounds like I could have my pick of reservations if trading was an option?

Thanks!!

Usually the easiest way to trade is it just rent out your points and then rent a reservation because it's rare that the reservations would require the same number of points. Trading reservations would be similar but skipping the cash exchange part and requires finding someone that wants a reservation where you own and that you want a reservation where they own. Then you have to figure out if it's an equal trade or if one or the other should have additional compensation. Trading happens but it's more rare than just renting.

I saw under the “rent/trade” board that someone was proposing a trade. I just was wondering how it would work. The honor system?

It would work however that user and the other individual in the trade worked it out. There are not standard rules for that kind of thing. Honor system and trust would be key, yeah, because it's a contract between the pair of you, and it would be bloody difficult/expensive to enforce if something went south.

And if you are talking about RCI trades, selling those is illegal by DVC and RCI.

Thanks!!
Correct. The sought after resorts are easy to trade, rent or transfer. You wouldn't offer to trade VGC points for SSR points.

Isn't transferring for compensation prohibited in the Home Resort Rules and Regulations? Curious if dvd has ever patrolled that issue since there seems to be various websites publishing listings for point transfers for sale.

Isn't transferring for compensation prohibited in the Home Resort Rules and Regulations? Curious if dvd has ever patrolled that issue since there seems to be various websites publishing listings for point transfers for sale.
Disney does not patrol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter